Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
prepkid26

Chances

Postby prepkid26 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Hey,

I was curious to see how I would stack up against law schools. Im a junior and have a 3.0 and 165 LSAT. Throughout my college career, I had to deal with colon cancer and now crohn's disease. I was in and out of treatment a lot so my schoolwork was hindered. Im just wondering if law school admissions would take my medical situation into consideration. I've been doing really well in school since my treatment finished, and just want an opportunity from schools. Thanks for those who can reply back.

vanwinkle

Re: Chances

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Can you study some more and retake the LSAT in June?

You've got the makings of a great GPA addendum, which can explain those issues and in fact convince them you have unique life experiences worth adding to their incoming class. I think if you could get up to 170+ and apply ED to one of the lower T14 you could get into one next fall. With your current score you're probably still pretty solid at many of the lower Tier-1 schools. Your target schools should currently be any school with a median LSAT of 165 or lower; like I said, if you can retake you can aim for schools with a 170 median and have a shot at them with your unique story.

A low GPA holds people back in a lot of places, but the one thing that helps a splitter out is a legitimate reason for it. It sounds like you've got one.

For help with writing your GPA addendum, please read the following article: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=86526 It will give you all the help you need on that subject.

prepkid26

Re: Chances

Postby prepkid26 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:18 pm

thanks for the reply and link. I could retake the exam, but at most i'll probably get a 168. I'm a URM student as well. I plan on applying to t14 schools and to others such as Fordham. I just hope the admissions will take a look at my statement rather than basing a decision based on gpa. I mean I had to deal with colon cancer, crohns disease, and close family members death in a short period of time. Thanks again for your help.

Return to “What are my chances?”