Weird UGPA situation for Vandy/UVa Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bgdddymtty

Silver

Weird UGPA situation for Vandy/UVa

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Here's the long and short of it: I graduated from HS back in '94 and promptly got dismal grades for two years, then quit school. I went back to school in '01 and graduated with a BA in Poli Sci from a state school in '07. I then went to b-school at BYU (t20 according to WSJ, t30 by most others), earning an MBA in '09.

Given the drag of those first two years, my LSAC UGPA should come in as a 2.93. However, if you disregarded those two years (when most other applicants were in elementary school), I'd have a 3.51 for the rest of undergrad, and my b-school GPA was 3.49. I sat for the Feb LSAT, and I'm expecting a score of 174-180. My softs aren't particularly impressive, as I was working full-time throughout UG, but I did some leadership/service stuff during my MBA, served an LDS mission, and speak three languages. I am also part NA.

I figure I'll get in, and probably get money from, BYU. What are my chances at UVa and Vandy? Given that I want to become a professor (commercial or con law), what are your thoughts on BYU w/$$$ (and tuition that's 1/4 the UVa/Vandy sticker to begin with) vs. UVa/Vandy sticker?

bwana73

New

Re: Weird UGPA situation for Vandy/UVa

Post by bwana73 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:29 pm

I talked to Dean Trujillo and apparently BYU is the 2nd most recruited from school by UVA... so that might help. Other than that I don't know too much. I didn't even apply to BYU because they wouldn't respond to any of my email inquiries.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:22 am

Your GPA will be a 2.93 regardless of your trend, but being NA will be a huge URM boost, especially if you can get a 170+ LSAT. And if you want any chance at becoming a professor, you should definitely attend UVA even at sticker price.

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:02 am

bwana73 wrote:I talked to Dean Trujillo and apparently BYU is the 2nd most recruited from school by UVA... so that might help. Other than that I don't know too much. I didn't even apply to BYU because they wouldn't respond to any of my email inquiries.
why is this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”