3.7/171 (practicing) Where should I start looking?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MJS83

3.7/171 (practicing) Where should I start looking?

Postby MJS83 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:24 am

Hello! I was hoping to get some advice on which schools I should spend my time/energy/money applying to. I'm scheduled for Oct '10 LSAT and hope to have my applications in by November 1st. I'm an URM with a background that will make for an interesting subjective portion of my applications. Also, my academic history is colorful to say the least. It includes two transfers and a three year break from academics while I pursued a career as a professional dancer.

While I certainly have a crimson-colored ambition, I understand that my GPA and academic history may limit my potential for HLS. Nonetheless, I intend to apply.

Assuming my actual LSAT score posts at the 171 mark, where should I consider applying? My stats are below! Thanks in advance!

GPA: 3.7 (trend upwards from 3.3 to 4.0 over UG career)
LSAT: 171 (practicing)

englawyer

Re: 3.7/171 (practicing) Where should I start looking?

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:15 pm

if you are a qualified URM , those are fantastic stats for all schools, including H.

but in reality, you should focus on the LSAT and post when you have a real score.

MJS83

Postby MJS83 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks your for the response! I will post my actual score when I get it.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:55 pm

yeah if you are a URM with those stats nothing is out of the question. Right now I wouldnt worry about it and focus on getting the best score you can. Rest assured, if you score as high as you seem to be able to, you will be fine with H.

MJS83

Postby MJS83 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:14 am

Maybe it's me... but I find it hard to believe that by simply checking the box corresponding to my ethnicity, I can some how get into H

By the way, I love your avatar. Go Yanks!

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:25 am

MJS83 wrote:Maybe it's me... but I find it hard to believe that by simply checking the box corresponding to my ethnicity, I can some how get into H

By the way, I love your avatar. Go Yanks!

What kind of URM are you? For some there such limited amounts of applicants that a significant boost results. Still it is dependent on your LSAT score, so anything predictions based on an estimated score def won't be accurate.

MJS83

Postby MJS83 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:29 am

Na_Swatch wrote:What kind of URM are you?

Native American

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:33 am

MJS83 wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:What kind of URM are you?

Native American

Well, looks like you're in for sure. As long as you have a tribal card, I would say you're 80%+ into Harvard as a NA with 3.7, 170+.. you'd probably still have a good shot with 3.7, 167+.

MJS83

Postby MJS83 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:42 am

Nightrunner wrote: If you have any connection to your tribal culture, you're golden.

SOURCE: I'm an enrolled Native American with a comparable LSAT and a far-inferior GPA.

ALSO: cast a wide net. Seriously. The admissions policies on Natives are totally all-over-the-board.

Thank you for your insight. Connected with my culture indeed.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:07 pm

May I ask why you're taking the LSAT in October if you're already studying for it? This goes without saying, but if you take in June, you can have the October test as a safety net. You never know what may happen on test day -- getting sick, test-day jitters, etc. I am not a nervous test-taker at all, but the LSAT was the first time in my life that I had trouble with a standardized test, simply because I had been studying for it for so long (nearly three months). I can't imagine the pressure one might feel after 9 months of anticipation. Take in June if you can.

MJS83

Postby MJS83 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:10 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:May I ask why you're taking the LSAT in October if you're already studying for it? This goes without saying, but if you take in June, you can have the October test as a safety net. You never know what may happen on test day -- getting sick, test-day jitters, etc. I am not a nervous test-taker at all, but the LSAT was the first time in my life that I had trouble with a standardized test, simply because I had been studying for it for so long (nearly three months). I can't imagine the pressure one might feel after 9 months of anticipation. Take in June if you can.

I'm getting married on May 29th, 2010. Finals + Wedding + LSAT seems like a bit much to deal with. I'm practicing now because I have the time to do it. I'm going to be very, very busy over the next couple months and probably won't be able to resume a set study schedule 'till Mid July.

the June LSAT isn't off the table yet. It just seems more likely that I'll be stressed and thus do poorly by adding something major to an already saturated schedule. However, as you pointed out, I run the risk of losing a safety net which is why I'm still considering doing it in June. I'm just not eager to take it then. Then again, is anyone eager to take the LSAT? It's sort of like jumping into a cold pool. You really wanna swim but you know how unpleasent it's going to be :)

MJS83

Postby MJS83 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:29 am

Nightrunner wrote:
MJS83 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:May I ask why you're taking the LSAT in October if you're already studying for it? This goes without saying, but if you take in June, you can have the October test as a safety net. You never know what may happen on test day -- getting sick, test-day jitters, etc. I am not a nervous test-taker at all, but the LSAT was the first time in my life that I had trouble with a standardized test, simply because I had been studying for it for so long (nearly three months). I can't imagine the pressure one might feel after 9 months of anticipation. Take in June if you can.

I'm getting married on May 29th, 2010. Finals + Wedding + LSAT seems like a bit much to deal with. I'm practicing now because I have the time to do it. I'm going to be very, very busy over the next couple months and probably won't be able to resume a set study schedule 'till Mid July.

the June LSAT isn't off the table yet. It just seems more likely that I'll be stressed and thus do poorly by adding something major to an already saturated schedule. However, as you pointed out, I run the risk of losing a safety net which is why I'm still considering doing it in June. I'm just not eager to take it then. Then again, is anyone eager to take the LSAT? It's sort of like jumping in to a cold pool. You really wanna swim but you know how unpleasent it's going to be :)

I hear you on the personal side of life; adding the LSAT to that schedule would be a lot of work.

The thing is: it is just one test, on one morning, and little things can make a person underperform. I decided to take the September LSAT, because I had travel scheduled during the June exam. "That's fine," I told myself, "I'll just submit all my applications in October, and I'll still be in early." Except I had some nasty flu-thing in September, and when I took the LSAT I scored one point lower than my diagnostic (and lower than any of my PTs).

I re-took in December, and I'm glad I did (scored around the low-middle of my PT range, a 7 point increase), but I didn't go complete at some schools until the last week of January. I think this cycle would be a lot better if I had been complete in November, but I suppose that is just an opinion.

Take a good, hard look at your schedule: if you can do June, do June.

Either way, good luck! Weweni.

I will consider it some more. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

HJO

Postby HJO » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 am

I would highly recommend taking it in June and then October if you need to. With your URM status, schools will be drooling at that 171 even if it is on the second try.

MJS83

Postby MJS83 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:28 pm

HJO wrote:I would highly recommend taking it in June and then October if you need to. With your URM status, schools will be drooling at that 171 even if it is on the second try.

Definitely leaning in this direction. June really is a packed month for me but if I can handle it then, October will be cake :)

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:33 pm

MJS83 wrote:
HJO wrote:I would highly recommend taking it in June and then October if you need to. With your URM status, schools will be drooling at that 171 even if it is on the second try.

Definitely leaning in this direction. June really is a packed month for me but if I can handle it then, October will be cake :)

Last year I was in your exact position. Wedding right after the LSAT, testing relatively high. It ended up being a big mistake to take the test without feeling prepared enough. I really wish that score wasn't a blemish on my record. If you do hit that score I concur with everyone above you have some great options.

Btw, congratulations of your upcoming wedding!!

ETA: Getting the bad score while checking my email on our honeymoon both sucked and made it easier to take.

MJS83

Postby MJS83 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:11 pm

jks289 wrote:Last year I was in your exact position. Wedding right after the LSAT, testing relatively high. It ended up being a big mistake to take the test without feeling prepared enough. I really wish that score wasn't a blemish on my record. If you do hit that score I concur with everyone above you have some great options.

Btw, congratulations of your upcoming wedding!!

ETA: Getting the bad score while checking my email on our honeymoon both sucked and made it easier to take.

Thanks for the advice. I've talked things over with my fiance who agrees with my original plan to take the LSAT in October. Upon further thinking, I'm actually considering take a year off between UG and applying. I have a number of reasons for this:

1. I want my full UG counted at the time I apply. I don't want to be sending updated transcripts mid-application cycle
2. If I botch the Oct'10 LSAT, I can retake in June and hit the 2011 application cycle
3. Gives me time to improve soft portion of application.
4. Additional year of work experience (non-dance related)

Return to “What are my chances?”