Unique Stats

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
robchuckbob

Unique Stats

Postby robchuckbob » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi guys,

Would appreciate comments on my stats. I would really like to either go to a T14 or a lower school that would give me a big scholarship.

NYU grad 09
Majored in Music and Theater directing and theory
Honors Program
gpa 3.63
All As and B+s except for one semester with a C and 2 Bs which I explain in an addendum
Letters of recommendation from my teacher/advisor who thinks I'm exceptional and the president of NYU.
studied abroad in Paris and now conversational, semi-fluent in French
National Hispanic Merit Scholar
hispanic, adopted by a white family
gay male
created a blog on culture
sings opera (sang at Carnegie Hall)
directed and performed in numerous theater and opera productions
Eagle Scout
volunteer for Make-a-Wish Foundation
avid, competitive swimmer (from Florida originally)
currently working as a cater waiter--the job market sucks!
planning to apply in Aug/Sep this year
just took the LSAT on Sat, expect a 164, might take it again in June

Thank you so much for your responses!

chango

Re: Unique Stats

Postby chango » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 pm

robchuckbob wrote:Hi guys,

Would appreciate comments on my stats. I would really like to either go to a T14 or a lower school that would give me a big scholarship.

NYU grad 09
Honors Program
gpa 3.63
All As and B+s except for one semester with a C and 2 Bs which I explain in an addendum
Letters of recommendation from my teacher/advisor who thinks I'm exceptional and the president of NYU.
gay male
Eagle Scout

Isn't everyone "unique?"

But if you mean "unusual" then perhaps, but if you mean "exceptional enough to overcome somewhat mediocre hard scores" then no. Although being Latino might give you a couple extra points (not sure about Latino raised by whites...that's an interesting question. I'd be willing to say you shouldn't mention that part. Just go with the "Latino," and leave it there.)

Retake in June if you want a T14 or a big scholarship.

Snarky edit: there's nothing unusual about being gay and majoring in music/theatre (dear lord, I hope you don't mean musical theater!) AND being a competitive swimmer AND an opera singer? And the catering/waiter just really puts the gay icing on the cake, doesn't it? What happened to floral design and ballet?

j/k I'm gay too so I couldn't resist.
Last edited by chango on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:57 pm

Unfortunately, while everything listed looks good... nothing is really unique. The 164 is the killer and a 3.6, while EXCELLENT, makes the need for a 168 or above crucial to climb into the T-14 ranks. As anyone here will tell you, it's purely a numbers game. Outside of Berkley, and a few others, holistic application review doesn't exist. What your softs will do for you is set you apart from anyone with your identical numbers.

With those numbers, I definitely see you getting into a number of T50 schools, and probably some scholarship offers, but retake in June and knock it out of the park. You won't regret it.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:00 pm

Well, hopefully Feb ends up being better than a 164 for you. That said, a gay latino male at 3.63/164 is probably almost impossible to predict. If I had to bet money on it, I think you'd probably strike out at the top 14 unless you could get to 167+ but I know absolutely nothing.

It also depends on what type of Latino you are.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:01 pm

robchuckbob wrote:Hi guys,

NYU grad 09
Honors Program
gpa 3.63
gay male
Eagle Scout

lol what exactly are u asking for??? I think you can focus on the adopted URM aspect on ur apps. This should do you well, and maybe add in some stuff about being gay but im not sure how much that would help.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:05 pm

chango wrote:Snarky edit: there's nothing unusual about being gay and majoring in music/theatre (dear lord, I hope you don't mean musical theater!) AND being a competitive swimmer AND an opera singer? And the catering/waiter just really puts the gay icing on the cake, doesn't it? What happened to floral design and ballet?

:lol: You forgot eagle scout!

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:09 pm

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Study like crazy for the LSAT (i.e. work through both power score bibles, then do a practice test every two days until you run out), raise your score to 170+ and you'll be golden.

chango

Postby chango » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
chango wrote:Snarky edit: there's nothing unusual about being gay and majoring in music/theatre (dear lord, I hope you don't mean musical theater!) AND being a competitive swimmer AND an opera singer? And the catering/waiter just really puts the gay icing on the cake, doesn't it? What happened to floral design and ballet?

:lol: You forgot eagle scout!

I also forgot Gay Paree! Jeesh, I'm losing my touch.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Usually I would say someone with your numbers would have a bucket of FAIL. However, I think being the president of a major university will help. Hummm, I'm going to go ahead and say that you will make Fordham at least, have some chance at 15-17, and an outside chance at DCNG - proly G. I would also apply to NYU because if someone is willing to go to bat for you, you never know what will happen.

The advice above is predicated on you being either Mexican or Puerto Rican.

edit: Retaking is def your best bet.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:18 pm

chango wrote:Although being Latino might give you a couple extra points (not sure about Latino raised by whites...that's an interesting question. I'd be willing to say you shouldn't mention that part. Just go with the "Latino," and leave it there.)

Don't do this. Transracial adoption is a big deal surrounded by some pretty vicious controversy (as I'm sure you know), but whichever way people feel about it, they tend to agree that being raised by white parents does not mean someone gets the "white experience" or is somehow less of a URM.

Opera singing seems like a pretty big deal to me, but what do I know? Do you feel as though you could score higher on a retake?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Veyron wrote:Usually I would say someone with your numbers would have a bucket of FAIL. However, I think being the president of a major university will help.

So you think being the president of NYU could possible push him over the top?

chango

Postby chango » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Veyron wrote:Usually I would say someone with your numbers would have a bucket of FAIL. However, I think being the president of a major university will help.

Assuming he's not exaggerating the level of support....sure, why not?

Edit...oh, I see you're point....lol....but really now, that's just mean spirited (welcome to TLS!!!)
Last edited by chango on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

When important people pull strings for you, they don't write letters. They make phone calls.

chango

Postby chango » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:25 pm

autarkh wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

When important people pull strings for you, they don't write letters. They make phone calls.

Or send a dead fish wrapped in a newspaper.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:34 pm

lol

I initially missed the bit about the OP being president of NYU.

robchuckbob

Postby robchuckbob » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:53 pm

In response to your comments:

Yes, yes. This was all just a way to say I'm a big gay [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.]. Trust me, I'm well aware. But, those are honestly my activities and will inevitably make their way onto my resume and personal statement.

I'm partially Honduran and partially unknown Hispanic (unknown because I was adopted).

I have been scoring between a 166-170, but I screwed up a Logic Games section, so I think it might have dropped me down. Everyone else seems to think it was hard, so who knows? Maybe it will be curved in which case the hard numbers will change. What I'm gathering is that the hard numbers are what I gotta focus on.

I took a class with and will be a t.a. next fall for the president of nyu, a big lawyer who clerked for Chief Justice Berger back in the day and literally wrote the book on Civil Procedure. he's willing to write a letter for me, NOT call the admissions office and try to force something.

robchuckbob

Postby robchuckbob » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:56 pm

oh, also I realize I'm not "unique" in a greater sense than "everyon's unique." Haha. I just meant that the post contained more than just something like "3.6/164. What are my chances?" I hate when people make posts like that.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:01 pm

robchuckbob wrote:oh, also I realize I'm not "unique" in a greater sense than "everyon's unique." Haha. I just meant that the post contained more than just something like "3.6/164. What are my chances?" I hate when people make posts like that.

I think you're going to be VERY happy with the decisions you'll have after your June re-take!!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Still, I know of at least one non URM who got a nice T-14 acceptance with way below median numbers because of a similar LOR.

However, you don't get the Mexican/PR boost. I'm guessing then that even with NYU's president writing the letter, NYU is a ding (still apply tho). His lor won't carry as much weight elsewhere so T-14 dings across the board. Still a small shot at UCLA, Vandy or Texas. You need to retake bro.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Like I said. Don't be lazy: prepare intensely and retake. Don't waste your good GPA/softs on a "meh" LSAT score. The merit aid alone will be worth it.

Burgette

Postby Burgette » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Your teacher/advisor thinks you're the president of NYU?!
(I loled)

but for real, study hard for the lsat and watch out for missplaced modifiers while writing your personal statement.

Return to “What are my chances?”