Let's be real here.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
suthernbelle453
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Let's be real here.

Postby suthernbelle453 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Ok, what are my chances? I am applying this weekend, just took the LSAT for the second time (I was sick in December and couldn't take the test). I am a senior at LSU, have a 3.01 GPA and I got a 151 LSAT the first time I took it. I'm hoping to increase my score at least a couple of points, but if not, that's ok too, I guess.

I'm applying to these schools:

Arkansas Fayetteville
Arkansas Little Rock
LSU
Ole Miss (fall and summer)
Mississippi College
South Texas College of Law

Please be honest, but don't be mean :wink: . I don't really trust law school numbers because people could over exaggerate their scores, not everyone is on there, etc., so I figured people on here would be my best bet. Also, on one of the applications, it asks if they should hold my application until the new LSAT score comes out, should I do that? It's Mississippi College by the way. Thanks for all your input!

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:00 pm

From personal experience, all I'd say is Law School Numbers graphs for each school are proving to be remarkably accurate this cycle. For your case, if you notice there are no 151 acceptances (urm or otherwise) for these schools, it's probably going to result in the same outcome for you. I hope you do better on this lsat....

suthernbelle453
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby suthernbelle453 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks for your input, while it wasn't really helpful because I just checked lsn and there are people that were accepted to some of the schools with 151 or even lower, I still appreciate you taking the time out of your day to reply. :) Thanks again.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:05 pm

Image

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby TTTennis » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:41 pm

I think your best chances are going to be at South Texas and Mississippi College. Honestly though, I don't think any of the schools are considerable reaches, maybe with the exception of Arkansas-Fayetteville. IMO the subjective aspects of your applications are going to determine whether you're going to be accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. Remember though, this is just my opinion and you shouldn't rely too heavily on it (or anyone else's for that matter).

Best of luck! I hope you are happily surprised by your February score.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:45 pm

Your best shot is at either STCL or Miss. College. Definitely have Miss. College hold your application till the new score, since both schools will likely accept you anyway.

Also, URM? Career goals? Geographical preference?

Finally, how much did you study between the original score and today's retake?

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:46 pm

suthernbelle453 wrote:Thanks for your input, while it wasn't really helpful because I just checked lsn and there are people that were accepted to some of the schools with 151 or even lower, I still appreciate you taking the time out of your day to reply. :) Thanks again.


http://arkansas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://arkansas-fayetteville.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://lsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://mississippi.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Are you using the same "law school numbers" as the rest of us???? Care to point out the data you're using? I think you may have a shot at mississippi college and south texas but the others would be quite a reach. I wouldn't use 1 (read: 1) 151 entrance as a guarantee, even if you consider LSN to be such a flawed representative sample.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby TTTennis » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:04 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
suthernbelle453 wrote:Thanks for your input, while it wasn't really helpful because I just checked lsn and there are people that were accepted to some of the schools with 151 or even lower, I still appreciate you taking the time out of your day to reply. :) Thanks again.


http://arkansas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://arkansas-fayetteville.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://lsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://mississippi.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Are you using the same "law school numbers" as the rest of us???? Care to point out the data you're using?


Hey Tom Cruise, you forgot this one... http://southtexas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
And I thought Scientology would teach you to feel some sort of empathy :lol:

Suthernbelle, check lawschoolpredictor.com, it should give you a little more hope than lsn.

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:06 pm

cdd_04 wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
suthernbelle453 wrote:Thanks for your input, while it wasn't really helpful because I just checked lsn and there are people that were accepted to some of the schools with 151 or even lower, I still appreciate you taking the time out of your day to reply. :) Thanks again.


http://arkansas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://arkansas-fayetteville.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://lsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://mississippi.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Are you using the same "law school numbers" as the rest of us???? Care to point out the data you're using?


Hey Tom Cruise, you forgot this one... http://southtexas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
And I thought Scientology would teach you to feel some sort of empathy :lol:

Suthernbelle, check lawschoolpredictor.com, it should give you a little more hope than lsn.



You: Reading comprehension fail.

Me: "I think you may have a shot at mississippi college and south texas."

Just trying to manage expectations.... and be realistic. She'll/you'll see.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby TTTennis » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:11 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
suthernbelle453 wrote:Thanks for your input, while it wasn't really helpful because I just checked lsn and there are people that were accepted to some of the schools with 151 or even lower, I still appreciate you taking the time out of your day to reply. :) Thanks again.


http://arkansas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://arkansas-fayetteville.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://lsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://mississippi.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Are you using the same "law school numbers" as the rest of us???? Care to point out the data you're using?


Hey Tom Cruise, you forgot this one... http://southtexas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
And I thought Scientology would teach you to feel some sort of empathy :lol:

Suthernbelle, check lawschoolpredictor.com, it should give you a little more hope than lsn.




Reading comprehension fail.

Me: "I think you may have a shot at mississippi college and south texas."

Just trying to manage expectations.... and be realistic. She'll/you'll see.


No reading comp fail. I know what you said and I thought it was funny. I gave the South Texas link to back up your claim that there wasn't anyone accepted to these school under, or even at, a 151/3.01. I completely agree with your assessment.

suthernbelle453
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby suthernbelle453 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:07 am

Woah guys! I wasn't trying to be snotty or try to say that I'm getting in anywhere! All I was saying to Tom was that out of all the schools I listed, there IS a school (or two) that takes people with my scores, or lower. Granted, it is South Texas and Mississippi College, but I was just trying to prove a point at the time because you were being such a Debbie Downer and didn't offer anything :).

Maybe I wasn't specific enough in my question (my mistake). My big question is, how much do they REALLY take into account your extras (statement, resume, etc.)? I have worked through college, been really involved (sorority, many clubs, including being president of the prelaw fraternity), have glowing recs, etc. For example, I was looking on LSN, and this guy said that he was admitted to Bama with a 153/3.2 (It might be a 3.3/152 or something), and that is obviously not in the index or anywhere close to their median. I also know a guy personally that got accepted to LSU with a 3.08/148. So, I'm not dumb, I know my scores don't put me at automatic admission anywhere, save a couple of schools, but I'm just curious as how everything goes into play, and if my extras would give me an advantage?

As for this past test, I have been studying like CRAZY. I would really really love to be a 160+ (highest practice test was a 160), but I'm also very realistic in that I would also love to go up 2 or 3 points (at the least). I think that would definitely help. I mean any increase would help.

Also, the only thing I could claim as URM is American Indian, but it's like 1/8th or 1/16th. Is that even worth mentioning? If it will help, I will definitely do it.

Thanks for all of your feedback. Trust me, it ALL is appreciated. :)

suthernbelle453
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby suthernbelle453 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:16 am

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/true1906

This was the person I was talking about that got in to Alabama, just in case anyone thinks I am making this up. I promise, it's real, unless he's lying (which idk why you'd say you got a lower score than you actually did).

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby TTTennis » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:20 am

suthernbelle453 wrote:Also, the only thing I could claim as URM is American Indian, but it's like 1/8th or 1/16th. Is that even worth mentioning? If it will help, I will definitely do it.


Mention it, it definitely won't hurt anything and might help. I think the "soft" factors are important, and will be important in your case, but then again i'm just being optimistic bc i'm rooting for you. Then again I think everyone is probably rooting for you, just trying to be as realistic as possible so you aren't overly optimistic. But, you seem like you have a pretty good idea of what your chances are.

Good luck.

suthernbelle453
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby suthernbelle453 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:43 am

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

In regards to the URM, will documentation be necessary and do I need to contact an organization, or just check it on the application? Thanks again! :)

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby usuaggie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:09 am

suthernbelle453 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/true1906

This was the person I was talking about that got in to Alabama, just in case anyone thinks I am making this up. I promise, it's real, unless he's lying (which idk why you'd say you got a lower score than you actually did).


or he just said he got in when he didn't?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:17 am

suthernbelle453 wrote:Thank you! I really appreciate it.

In regards to the URM, will documentation be necessary and do I need to contact an organization, or just check it on the application? Thanks again! :)

Native American only tends to count if you indicate your status as registered with an NA tribe. If you are, it'll count (and write a Diversity Statement about it). If not, then no.

suthernbelle453
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby suthernbelle453 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 am

usuaggie wrote:
suthernbelle453 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/true1906

This was the person I was talking about that got in to Alabama, just in case anyone thinks I am making this up. I promise, it's real, unless he's lying (which idk why you'd say you got a lower score than you actually did).


or he just said he got in when he didn't?



That is totally possible, which is why I was unsure whether to take LSN with a grain of salt. However, why would you lie, you know?

suthernbelle453
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby suthernbelle453 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:25 am

As for the URM status, I'm going to call all the schools I'm applying to on Monday, as well as the ABA, to confirm the specifications and requirements are to claim Native American heritage. Better safe than sorry.

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby usuaggie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:39 am

suthernbelle453 wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
suthernbelle453 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/true1906

This was the person I was talking about that got in to Alabama, just in case anyone thinks I am making this up. I promise, it's real, unless he's lying (which idk why you'd say you got a lower score than you actually did).


or he just said he got in when he didn't?



That is totally possible, which is why I was unsure whether to take LSN with a grain of salt. However, why would you lie, you know?

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/law_school_warns_of_impostor_student_may_have_also_faked_medical_background

suthernbelle453
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby suthernbelle453 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:49 am

usuaggie wrote:
suthernbelle453 wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
suthernbelle453 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/true1906

This was the person I was talking about that got in to Alabama, just in case anyone thinks I am making this up. I promise, it's real, unless he's lying (which idk why you'd say you got a lower score than you actually did).


or he just said he got in when he didn't?



That is totally possible, which is why I was unsure whether to take LSN with a grain of salt. However, why would you lie, you know?

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/law_school_warns_of_impostor_student_may_have_also_faked_medical_background


touche. One would like to think that people wouldn't lie about getting in to schools and stuff, but many do.

lawman335
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:18 am

Hey dude your score looks really very less , i suggest you to retake the test...........

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby usuaggie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:27 am

lawman335 wrote:Hey dude your score looks really very less , i suggest you to retake the test...........


what he said

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Let's be real here.

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:30 am

suthernbelle453 wrote:
Maybe I wasn't specific enough in my question (my mistake). My big question is, how much do they REALLY take into account your extras (statement, resume, etc.)? The answer to this is an emphatic 'no.' [strike]I have worked through college, been really involved (sorority, many clubs, including being president of the prelaw fraternity), have glowing recs, etc.[/strike] For example, I was looking on LSN, and this guy said that he was admitted to Bama with a 153/3.2 (It might be a 3.3/152 or something), and that is obviously not in the index or anywhere close to their median.Based on the link below, we now know he is one of two URM groups which receive a boost. I also know a guy personally that got accepted to LSU with a 3.08/148. He was most likely a URM as well, but that's purely based on statistics. He might not have been. So, I'm not dumb, I know my scores don't put me at automatic admission anywhere, save a couple of schools, but I'm just curious as how everything goes into play, and if my extras would give me an advantage? See first, big question.

As for this past test, I have been studying like CRAZY. I would really really love to be a 160+ (highest practice test was a 160), but I'm also very realistic in that I would also love to go up 2 or 3 points (at the least). I think that would definitely help. I mean any increase would help. Having gone from a 151 to a 161 in exactly the fashion you just described, wait and see how your score comes out before making any rash decisions (like going to Miss. College if you have no desire to practice in Mississippi).

Also, the only thing I could claim as URM is American Indian, but it's like 1/8th or 1/16th. Is that even worth mentioning? If it will help, I will definitely do it. Fortunately, you might be a member of the only other URM group that matters as far as boosting admissions probability. Double-check the rules, and if you are, in fact, NAI, apply everywhere that your score + ~10 points would get you in.

Thanks for all of your feedback. Trust me, it ALL is appreciated. :) You're welcome. Good luck!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BuddyHoller, notorious_mig and 9 guests