3.77/161 and panicking

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

3.77/161 and panicking

Postby PlugInBaby » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:56 pm

I only applied to three schools since we have limited funds in our family and with the confidence that I would be able to get into one of them for sure. They are U of Washington, Seattle U, and Chicago-Kent. The one I thought was a sure thing, Seattle U, just inexplicably wait listed me. The job market graduating college was demoralizing enough, I took solace that I was well qualified for law school. Now I have doubts about that and feeling rather panicked. I am considering applying to three other schools (DePaul, Loyola-Chicago, and St. Louis) right away to hedge my bets, but it is late in the cycle.

Any speculations on why I was waitlisted for a school i statistically had an 85% change of admission on and should I start applying to those other safety schools. This late in the cycle are they still safety schools?

Any input would be much appreciated.
Last edited by PlugInBaby on Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby BruceBarr » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Your personal statement is probably terrible. Or your letters of rec. Or your softs. Or all.

You may want to re-evaluate your application and apply again next cycle. With your numbers, getting WL'd at University of Seattle should never have happened unless something was off.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby booboo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Possibly send in a LOCI. Maybe they don't think you will go to their school?

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby BruceBarr » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:14 pm

booboo wrote:Possibly send in a LOCI. Maybe they don't think you will go to their school?


Mmmm... Good call. This could very well be it. You do have numbers far superior to what they typically get. They may just need to hear that they aren't a back-up school for you, and that they are a REAL option.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby PlugInBaby » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:37 pm

I can't imagine the LORs being the problem...they were from professors that thought highly of me. The personal statement was well written in my opinion, and although the tone was optimistic perhaps they saw the whole thing as a bit too dark and poetic (it was about celebrating the finiteness of everything, applying that philosophy to life and law school). The softs may have been a problem, I didn't have the time nor the energy for volunteering or extracurricular activites, I was too busy commuting and working.

I do have misdemeanor conviction due to a fight I got in when I was a teenager, but that was explained in full and 6-7 years ago.

Should I apply to those other three school or should I just focus on the three I have applied to?

User avatar
Maven
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby Maven » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Well you really don't have much to lose if you apply, so apply. But don't panic. If you get into a school that you're hesitant to attend, you should wait and reapply. Maybe you won't even have to wait until next year. As you probably know some admit classes for Jan.
Additionally, sometimes there just is no rhyme nor reason to the application process. For example, many years ago I got wl by Suffolk yet got into NYU. Go figure...

lawman335
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:51 am

Don't be panic just apply for it and u will get into it as your LSAT score is average..............

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby ggocat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:38 am

BruceBarr wrote:
booboo wrote:Possibly send in a LOCI. Maybe they don't think you will go to their school?


Mmmm... Good call. This could very well be it. You do have numbers far superior to what they typically get. They may just need to hear that they aren't a back-up school for you, and that they are a REAL option.

+1. Waitlisting good candidates who are unlikely to attend is a viable strategy for lowering a school's acceptance rate (and thus helping U.S. News rank).

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:23 pm

After much panic after the waitlist shock, I have come up with a plan of attack. Would love your input.

If Accepted to U of Washington
Going to UW for sure.

If Waitlisted by UW
Sending LOCIs to both UW and Seattle U.

If Denied by UW, Accepted to Kent without scholarship $
Going to send Seattle U an LOCI.

Denied by UW, Accepted to Kent with scholarship $
Going to Kent.

Neither UW or Kent admits/replies by Valentine's Day
Applying to the other three schools.

About the LOCI, I assume it would not be best to anticipate why they put you on the wait list and try to address it. It seems it would be best to talk about the appeal of the location (location is my top factor for my decision), the pleasant time I had visiting the school, and my varied interests in law (constitutional law, internet speech law, alternative lifestyles law, veteran law) and how Seattle U would be an ideal place to explore these passions.

Thanks for your support so far, it is much appreciated. Criticism and encouragement is still very much welcome.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby sanpiero » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:36 pm

send LOCI

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby englawyer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:44 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:After much panic after the waitlist shock, I have come up with a plan of attack. Would love your input.

If Accepted to U of Washington
Going to UW for sure.

If Waitlisted by UW
Sending LOCIs to both UW and Seattle U.

If Denied by UW, Accepted to Kent without scholarship $
Going to send Seattle U an LOCI.

Denied by UW, Accepted to Kent with scholarship $
Going to Kent.

Neither UW or Kent admits/replies by Valentine's Day
Applying to the other three schools.

About the LOCI, I assume it would not be best to anticipate why they put you on the wait list and try to address it. It seems it would be best to talk about the appeal of the location (location is my top factor for my decision), the pleasant time I had visiting the school, and my varied interests in law (constitutional law, internet speech law, alternative lifestyles law, veteran law) and how Seattle U would be an ideal place to explore these passions.

Thanks for your support so far, it is much appreciated. Criticism and encouragement is still very much welcome.


i wouldn't wait at all. send out the LOCI now; time is of the essence. You should also apply to the other three schools now; ask for fee waivers if money is an issue.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby iShotFirst » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Definitely ask those schools you are thinking about applying to for fee waivers before you do, they may give and then the limited funds problem disappears. I definitely wish I would have thought about this when I applied and I ended up paying full application fees at schools I could have easily received a fee waiver from. Just email or call before you apply, then you just have to pay the $12 for the LSAC report fee.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:07 pm

englawyer wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:After much panic after the waitlist shock, I have come up with a plan of attack. Would love your input.

If Accepted to U of Washington
Going to UW for sure.

If Waitlisted by UW
Sending LOCIs to both UW and Seattle U.

If Denied by UW, Accepted to Kent without scholarship $
Going to send Seattle U an LOCI.

Denied by UW, Accepted to Kent with scholarship $
Going to Kent.

Neither UW or Kent admits/replies by Valentine's Day
Applying to the other three schools.

About the LOCI, I assume it would not be best to anticipate why they put you on the wait list and try to address it. It seems it would be best to talk about the appeal of the location (location is my top factor for my decision), the pleasant time I had visiting the school, and my varied interests in law (constitutional law, internet speech law, alternative lifestyles law, veteran law) and how Seattle U would be an ideal place to explore these passions.

Thanks for your support so far, it is much appreciated. Criticism and encouragement is still very much welcome.


i wouldn't wait at all. send out the LOCI now; time is of the essence. You should also apply to the other three schools now; ask for fee waivers if money is an issue.


Seattle U had a little survey they gave people they waitlisted in which you indicated your continued interest among other things. Decisions on the waitlisted aren't made until April, and per the letters of continued interest portion of the site, I should wait to send it until decisions are made on those who are on the waitlist. I still would like some input on my ideas for what to write on that letter however.

Applying for fee waivers will certainly be a priority and I will make a point to apply to the other three.

I was so confident that I had a stellar PS, LoR, and academic accolades to easily put me in for all the schools i applied to with the exception of University of Washington. Now I wonder if I pulled off a Tommy Wiseau (points to those who know who I am talking about) and that what I thought I did well was actually an unmitigated disaster.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Update: Got into Chicago-Kent...whose GPA and LSAT stats are better than Seattle U's. I still have my heart set on studying in the city of Seattle though. Since my PS was actually the same exact one I sent to Seattle U, I would suppose that a bad PS or bad other things may not be the case. I wonder if it is a residency matter as I live in suburban Chicago and T2 schools are more likely to take the local candidate rather than the out of state or out of region ones.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby sanpiero » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:19 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:Update: Got into Chicago-Kent...whose GPA and LSAT stats are better than Seattle U's. I still have my heart set on studying in the city of Seattle though. Since my PS was actually the same exact one I sent to Seattle U, I would suppose that a bad PS or bad other things may not be the case. I wonder if it is a residency matter as I live in suburban Chicago and T2 schools are more likely to take the local candidate rather than the out of state or out of region ones.


Congrats. Did you send the LOCI to Seattle?

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: 3.77/161 and panicking

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:36 pm

sanpiero wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:Update: Got into Chicago-Kent...whose GPA and LSAT stats are better than Seattle U's. I still have my heart set on studying in the city of Seattle though. Since my PS was actually the same exact one I sent to Seattle U, I would suppose that a bad PS or bad other things may not be the case. I wonder if it is a residency matter as I live in suburban Chicago and T2 schools are more likely to take the local candidate rather than the out of state or out of region ones.


Congrats. Did you send the LOCI to Seattle?


I did, and a good one I think. In addition to why the school appealed to me, I even added more self-promoting firepower just in case it was a matter of softs downgrading me. I just hope they let me in (or U-Dub does, I can dream) before the tuition deposit for Chicago-Kent ($750...ouch) is due.

I suppose its a matter of speculative diagnostics that interests me about why Kent would take me and Seattle would waitlist me.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests