Plagiarism - what are my odds/probability?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sellparkcity

Plagiarism - what are my odds/probability?

Postby sellparkcity » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:50 pm

Okay so I'm just waiting to hear on what my punishment will be for plagiarism which includes the source listed but whatever.

I have a 3.45 from an ivy league graduate school, for a Master's in IR. I've got a BS in Sociology (Major GPA 3.14) from 2005. Lots of science and real estate work experience and some work with the Lantos Foundation.

LSAT: I figure 155-165, barring some miracle

So what are my chances at Georgetown's part time program if I take the LSAT in Oct. 2010?

Do Ad Comm's check applicant's grad school transcripts? If I send LSAC my transcripts now before a potentially devastating plagiarism mark is on my transcripts, will Ad Comm's check it?

RyShermanJ

Re: Plagiarism - what are my odds/probability?

Postby RyShermanJ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Even if you can figure out how to hide it now, this will come up when are applying for the bar. And not being honest with the law school will hurt your chances to sit for the bar more than the actual act.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:01 pm

sellparkcity wrote:Okay so I'm just waiting to hear on what my punishment will be for plagiarism which includes the source listed but whatever.

I have a 3.45 from an ivy league graduate school, for a Master's in IR. I've got a BS in Sociology (Major GPA 3.14) from 2005. Lots of science and real estate work experience and some work with the Lantos Foundation.

So what are my chances at Georgetown's part time program if I take the LSAT in Oct. 2010?

Do Ad Comm's check applicant's grad school transcripts? If I send LSAC my transcripts now before a potentially devastating plagiarism mark is on my transcripts, will Ad Comm's check it?

Sarcastic TLS answer concerning Georgetown: They won't care. It will come down to your LSAT.

Realistic answer: Plagiarism is the worst crime you can commit in academia aside from shooting a professor. It probably won't look good to be honest. Just disclose it and hope for the best. Perhaps send a letter explaining what you have learned from the incident, but unfortunately it occurred in grad school - by that age you should have known better.

Also, it doesn't matter what your major GPA is. It matters only what your overall UG LSAC GPA is.

To give you some context: This cycle I was rejected from Georgetown's Part time program. I have a 168 LSAT and a 3.6 GPA from a top 25 undergrad. No plagiarism on my record, and a graduate degree from an elite private (ranked higher than most Ivies). You can't back-door it into Georgetown anymore. That's for sure.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:09 pm

sellparkcity wrote:Okay so I'm just waiting to hear on what my punishment will be for plagiarism which includes the source listed but whatever.

What does this mean "plagiarism which includes the source listed but whatever." Did you make some sort of citation error and you listed the source but didn't do it properly... if so it sounds like no big deal. Or did you do something really bad?

sellparkcity

Postby sellparkcity » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:06 pm

I listed the reference and added my own words, but the TA, not even a professor, thought that I should have quotes around all paragraphs that had any words from the listed source.

I might get off with a warning or probation (which I'm praying for) rather than a permanent mark on my transcripts or an expulsion, in which case I'll probably just get a lawyer.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:25 pm

sellparkcity wrote:I listed the reference and added my own words, but the TA, not even a professor, thought that I should have quotes around all paragraphs that had any words from the listed source.

I might get off with a warning or probation (which I'm praying for) rather than a permanent mark on my transcripts or an expulsion, in which case I'll probably just get a lawyer.

That's probably not going to affect you substantially. A minor citation error isn't cheating, even if its technically termed plagiarism. It might be a minor negative against you for admissions, but there's no way it's a deal breaker.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:37 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
sellparkcity wrote:I listed the reference and added my own words, but the TA, not even a professor, thought that I should have quotes around all paragraphs that had any words from the listed source.

That's probably not going to affect you substantially. A minor citation error isn't cheating, even if its technically termed plagiarism. It might be a minor negative against you for admissions, but there's no way it's a deal breaker.

He said "paragraphs" and that he added his own information to it. That does sound like a really big deal if he just listed the source on the works cited and tried to pass off the "paragraphs" as his own writing. That is cheating and a really big deal. Not saying that is what he did, but really does sound like it.

KafkaLover

Postby KafkaLover » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:53 pm

First, I feel your pain. I was accused of plagiarism because of citation errors and not because of a lack of attribution, which was COMPLETELY unintentional on my part. I was given a warning which was removed upon graduation (and which did not appear on my transcripts regardless) but I still failed the course. Also, though you may intend to hire a lawyer, at the school I attended this was not allowed because the matter was considered institutional and not subject to any broader judicial process but the school's internal Honor Code.
Second, though it may not appear on your transcript, it is my understanding that you still must disclose the event on a law school application unless you were found completely innocent. Often the wording is "have you ever been warned/put on probation/or otherwise sanctioned by an institution of higher learning" NOT does the event appear on your transcript. It's always better to disclose, because the question, in my opinion, is more a measure of ethics (in other words, will you truthfully disclose and describe the sanction) than a denial of admission if you answer "yes."
If you really did just list the source improperly then I don't think it's that big a deal.
PS - Make sure what you say in your disciplinary addendum and what you say at your hearing match up, because some schools, no matter how severe outcome, request an official document from your school be sent to them that details the hearing and sanctions. You definitely don't want to be caught being inconsistent!

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:32 am

It sounds more like a mistake than an intent to deceive. When I was at Penn State they had a lawyer on staff to advocate for the students. If they are going to try to crack down on you you need to defend yourself with an advocate of some sort, perhaps a friendly professor or maybe check with your student government.

Return to “What are my chances?”