Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances??? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Biglawl1L

New

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Post by Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Honestly, I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of even posting on here in the first place. I don't need all your hate/insecurity/ego trips directed at me for asking some simple questions. I KNOW the placement data. This YEAR 2010 people, is different. I know top 1/3 getting Paul Hastings and Latham from case this year.

SO a couple of things have to be going on here:

1) you have something against case
2) You guys are living in the past
3) some combination of 1 and 2

Is anyone out there who can seriously & legitimately speak to my original question?

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Look at the posters name. This is a flame, and I'm retarded for not calling shenanigans 10 minutes ago.
Im not convinced yet. It's entirely possible he's an idiot living in a daydream that it's 2006.
Case WesTTTern 2006 was probably top 5% gets the crappy big law firms, top 2 people get V25.

Case Western today is probably top 1 person gets to work for a public defender in Alaska.
Im actually praying for this kid that it's a flame.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:Coke Zero? Look, I am not looking for haters here. My ex-girlfriend is from Singapore and her dad is a big-wig counsel over in Singapore and am thinking about tapping him for some connections. My understanding is that T1 law schools are looked upon favorably over there. Do you guys think this would be a good course of action?
Nice touch.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:Honestly, I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of even posting on here in the first place. I don't need all your hate/insecurity/ego trips directed at me for asking some simple questions. I KNOW the placement data. This YEAR 2010 people, is different. I know top 1/3 getting Paul Hastings and Latham from case this year.

Is anyone out there who can seriously & legitimately speak to my original question?
From this year, three people got those firms? I doubt three people have EVER gotten those firms? Either you're full of shit or you've completely lost it.

SOCRATiC

Bronze

Post by SOCRATiC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:45 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:This YEAR 2010 people, is different. I know top 1/3 getting Paul Hastings and Latham from case this year.
+1 Anecdotal evidence is far more superior for the assessment of one's chances than statistical evidence. That is why you will secure a position at Sidley, because a top 1/3 at Case Western got a job at Paul Hasting and Latham.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Not a single Case JD at Latham

hth

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:50 pm

wOW. RC Fail for Socratic. I said "I know top 1/3" getting Paul Hastings..." Not "top case western 1/3"

These friends were from similar ranked schools T30 etc and are doing fairly well. No reason to see why I can't do the same.

DO you guys have something against Sidley? They seem like a really upstanding firm. What about Case's rep over in Singapore? If by some chance I strike out @ Sidley, do you think Case has a good name over in Asia?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:wOW. RC Fail for Socratic. I said "I know top 1/3" getting Paul Hastings..." Not "top case western 1/3"

These friends were from similar ranked schools T30 etc and are doing fairly well. No reason to see why I can't do the same.

DO you guys have something against Sidley? They seem like a really upstanding firm. What about Case's rep over in Singapore? If by some chance I strike out @ Sidley, do you think Case has a good name over in Asia?
lawl no
Biglawl1L wrote:I know top 1/3 getting Paul Hastings and Latham from case this year.
not even a good flame

SOCRATiC

Bronze

Post by SOCRATiC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Listen. What you need to take away from this discussion is that your chances are very low. Very, very, and also very low. You need to develop a realistic view of your job prospects in the future, because you're not special. You haven't achieved top 5%, if not 1%. Even people at median, or below median, claim that they're special and that they'd be an exception to the rule that everyone else is spitting at you on this thread.

There is a website for those who were unwise enough to believe that they're different, as well as having attended a crappy law school such as Case: JDUnderground.com

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:52 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Not a single Case JD at Latham

hth
Two Case JDs at Sidley. One graduated 1980, the other was Law Review (2001)

I can't decide whether OP is a flame or an idiot. I'm leaning towards the former. TBH I wouldn't like my chances at Sidley ITE even if I was top 1% at Case.
Last edited by los blancos on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:wOW. RC Fail for Socratic. I said "I know top 1/3" getting Paul Hastings..." Not "top case western 1/3"

wait? really? ......

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:54 pm

So you know a friend who went to a T30 -- otherwise known as a FAR BETTER law school than Case -- and finished in the top 1/3? And this proves somehow that these opportunities are available to Case students as well?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:55 pm

You'd have to be pretty dumb to not immediately recognize this as a flame.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Thank you for the info Boilercat; that actually was really helpful. So if I land LR then I might have more of a shot? Granted, 2001 was a different economy. I am not implying my chances are good, I just want A CHANCE. So if I can maybe boost my grades a little more and get on LR that would be good.

This 2001 grad...what office were they working in? NY?

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Look at the posters name. This is a flame, and I'm retarded for not calling shenanigans 10 minutes ago.
Im not convinced yet. It's entirely possible he's an idiot living in a daydream that it's 2006.
Case WesTTTern 2006 was probably top 5% gets the crappy big law firms, top 2 people get V25.

Case Western today is probably top 1 person gets to work for a public defender in Alaska.
This was just too funny for me NOT to quote.

SOCRATiC

Bronze

Post by SOCRATiC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:56 pm

scribelaw wrote:

So you know a friend who went to a T30 -- otherwise known as a FAR BETTER law school than Case -- and finished in the top 1/3? And this proves somehow that these opportunities are available to Case students as well?
Not to mention that his post made it seem like the top 1/3 was actually coming from Case. Scroll up and check - this is the level of precision in writing coming from a top 40% at Case.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:57 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:You'd have to be pretty dumb to not immediately recognize this as a flame.
I don't know about dumb. There are people out there who are like this. I know a guy at JMLS who was an SA at K&E last summer. I bet he's got a few classmates in the top half who have connections and think they have a shot.

But now I'm convinced he's a flame.

DFTT

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

truthypants

Bronze

Post by truthypants » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:58 pm

no chance unless you are either a super hot chick and/or related to a hiring partner. Don't feel bad, my school's ranked higher and people top 40% here don't have a chance in hell at biglaw either. Hope/pray for federal govt.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Honestly, you have a better chance of clerking for a Supreme Court Justice ...

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:Honestly, I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of even posting on here in the first place. I don't need all your hate/insecurity/ego trips directed at me for asking some simple questions. I KNOW the placement data. This YEAR 2010 people, is different. I know top 1/3 getting Paul Hastings and Latham from case this year.

--ImageRemoved--

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:00 pm

I dont know if this is a flame. I think he's just uninformed. And, to be fair, I have heard of people like t35 or so getting offers from BigLaw this year. So, no, im not convinced he's a flame.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:Thank you for the info Boilercat; that actually was really helpful. So if I land LR then I might have more of a shot? Granted, 2001 was a different economy. I am not implying my chances are good, I just want A CHANCE. So if I can maybe boost my grades a little more and get on LR that would be good.

This 2001 grad...what office were they working in? NY?
Dude, there are people who are top 10% at Notre Dame who struck out completely (see: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=105440)

By virtue of submitting an application your chance is >0. Probably by .000000000001

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:02 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Honestly, you have a better chance of clerking for a Supreme Court Justice ...
Now this is pushing it. Virtually everyone in the world has a better chance at working for Sidley than clerking for SCOTUS.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:03 pm

miamiman wrote:I dont know if this is a flame. I think he's just uninformed. And, to be fair, I have heard of people like t35 or so getting offers from BigLaw this year. So, no, im not convinced he's a flame.
I have the same feelings ... some people at NU who are barely cracked the top 1/2 (whereever it might be) still believe that they a shot Sidley.

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:03 pm

OK, let me clear this up right now. Sidley is NOT a V10. I am NOT asking about my chances for SCOTUS. How is this question so unreasonable and why is everyone calling this a "flame?"

I could understand if I was talking about Skadden, clerking for SCOTUS etc. but we are talking about Sidley here....i think this is a fair goal to aim for.

ANyone have advice and thoughts about how hard it would be to go international (singapore etc) with a big firm like Sidley as opposed to staying stateside. Assume a country like Singapore where english is widely spoken.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”