Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:19 pm

For the sake of a simple answer here, look at this:

http://www.sidley.com/ourpeople/List.aspx?&&Schools=e2385c19-7eb5-45d6-b368-8ed852e4c58f&SortBy=Level

Of the thousands of Sidley lawyers, only 2 went to Case.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:21 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:For the sake of a simple answer here, look at this:

http://www.sidley.com/ourpeople/List.aspx?&&Schools=e2385c19-7eb5-45d6-b368-8ed852e4c58f&SortBy=Level

Of the thousands of Sidley lawyers, only 2 went to Case.


But one of them is a partner, so this magnifies his chance of getting in ten-fold.

Biglawl1L
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby Biglawl1L » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 am

booboo wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:For the sake of a simple answer here, look at this:

http://www.sidley.com/ourpeople/List.aspx?&&Schools=e2385c19-7eb5-45d6-b368-8ed852e4c58f&SortBy=Level

Of the thousands of Sidley lawyers, only 2 went to Case.


But one of them is a partner, so this magnifies his chance of getting in ten-fold.


BooBoo, you should take a stats class instead of frolicking in the woods and stealing picnic baskets. Clearly, whether an associate is a SA, partner, etc; is irrelevant to my chances.

The point remains--there is hope. Plus I sincerely doubt either of these two attorneys had the kind of "in" I have in Singapore.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:00 am

Biglawl1L wrote:
booboo wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:For the sake of a simple answer here, look at this:

http://www.sidley.com/ourpeople/List.aspx?&&Schools=e2385c19-7eb5-45d6-b368-8ed852e4c58f&SortBy=Level

Of the thousands of Sidley lawyers, only 2 went to Case.


But one of them is a partner, so this magnifies his chance of getting in ten-fold.


BooBoo, you should take a stats class instead of frolicking in the woods and stealing picnic baskets. Clearly, whether an associate is a SA, partner, etc; is irrelevant to my chances.

The point remains--there is hope. Plus I sincerely doubt either of these two attorneys had the kind of "in" I have in Singapore.


Why do you linger here when there is no hope?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:01 am

Case Western sounds like a briefcase manufacturer.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:Case Western sounds like a briefcase manufacturer.


I was thinking more cowboy boots/hats myself.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:20 am

Wait Case Western is in Cleveland? Failllllll.

Kate07
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby Kate07 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Eh, all sides of this flame war irritate me, as I would actually like to go to Case. Granted, I'm not coming at this from the perspective of someone who wants to work at a firm like Sidley; if that was my dream, I'd go to the highest ranked school I got into (and then bust my ass trying to transfer to a higher-ranked one). As is, especially with a good scholarship, I'd go there over a T14 and not look back. (Admissions committee, are you listening?)

Hypothetically, though, I was wondering. Doesn't the name of the school you went to matter less as time goes on? That is, doesn't work experience start weighing more as you gain more of it? I find it hard to believe that if you're not in Big Law right away, you've lost your chance forever.

My friend works at a fancypants investment bank in NYC, and we were talking about this the other day. He said the (one) person he knows who sorts through resumes doesn't consider people for associate positions unless they're from one of a few schools--i.e. honors from Case in economics --> resume in trash can. But he also said no one ever asks him where he went to school, and he doesn't know where most of his colleagues did either. He thinks if he'd gone to a good regional school, worked for a few years, and done very good work, he would be a strong candidate for the job he has now. (That is, he would have caught up with himself, as he finished graduate school a few years ago.)

So, I know that's all anecdote and speculation, that investment isn't law, and that I'm derailing, etc, but...it makes sense, anyway.

User avatar
monkeyboy
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby monkeyboy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Wait Case Western is in Cleveland? Failllllll.


They say the harder rock and roll is in Cleveland, and from what I've seen I don't believe Huey Lewis at all.

Biglawl1L
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby Biglawl1L » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Wait Case Western is in Cleveland? Failllllll.


Hey, at least it isin't filled with these:

Image

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby RVP11 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Kate07 wrote:Eh, all sides of this flame war irritate me, as I would actually like to go to Case. Granted, I'm not coming at this from the perspective of someone who wants to work at a firm like Sidley; if that was my dream, I'd go to the highest ranked school I got into (and then bust my ass trying to transfer to a higher-ranked one). As is, especially with a good scholarship, I'd go there over a T14 and not look back. (Admissions committee, are you listening?)

Hypothetically, though, I was wondering. Doesn't the name of the school you went to matter less as time goes on? That is, doesn't work experience start weighing more as you gain more of it? I find it hard to believe that if you're not in Big Law right away, you've lost your chance forever.

My friend works at a fancypants investment bank in NYC, and we were talking about this the other day. He said the (one) person he knows who sorts through resumes doesn't consider people for associate positions unless they're from one of a few schools--i.e. honors from Case in economics --> resume in trash can. But he also said no one ever asks him where he went to school, and he doesn't know where most of his colleagues did either. He thinks if he'd gone to a good regional school, worked for a few years, and done very good work, he would be a strong candidate for the job he has now. (That is, he would have caught up with himself, as he finished graduate school a few years ago.)

So, I know that's all anecdote and speculation, that investment isn't law, and that I'm derailing, etc, but...it makes sense, anyway.


Most people want a big firm job so that they can A) pay off loans, and B) have strong exit opportunities to supposedly more desirable work.

The BigLaw hiring model is such that, generally, you get it right after law school or you never do. If you develop a desired specialty/good book of business, then maybe many years down the road a big firm would be happy to have you. But by then the allure of a big firm is gone - if you have a desired specialty or a good book of business you can make as much or more money on your own or in a smaller firm.

And yes, it's true that a few years after you graduate your degree will matter a lot less. But your school largely determines your first job, which largely determines your second job, and so on.

Biglawl1L
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby Biglawl1L » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Yes, Big Law is the best!!!


--ImageRemoved--

I <3 <3 <3 Big Law!!! I can't wait until it is raining $$$, strippers, and working over 2,000 billable hours. We have it made!!!!!!

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:Yes, Big Law is the best!!!


--ImageRemoved--

I <3 <3 <3 Big Law!!! I can't wait until it is raining $$$, strippers, and working over 2,000 billable hours. [strike]We[/strike] They have it made!!!!!!


FTFY

ScaredWorkedBored
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:02 am

The Deep End was fiction.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests