Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances??? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
monkeyboy

Bronze

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:25 pm

SOCRATiC wrote:Case is not a strong school on the rise. An example of a strong school on the rise would be Washington University St. Louis.

Case bumping itself up a couple of rankings in the future would constitute its transition from T2 to the slums of T1. 40% for someone coming from the slums will not open a lot of doors.
The other school undoubtedly on the rise is Penn State (Dickinson). It was a 4th tier school a decade ago when absorbed by Penn State, and now Dickinson is #65, moving quickly through the second tier past schools like Pitt. I doubt PSU Law settles there, based on the trajectory we've seen. In 10 years Dickinson will be top 40. I would bet on that, but nobody is going to keep track of a $20 bet over the next decade. Penn State invested $60 mil in a new State College facility recently, and it seems as if a continued effort is being made to increase the quality and prestige of the program.
Last edited by monkeyboy on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:28 pm

Case has traditionally been a Tier-1 school aso would it be wrong to assume that it was generally regarded as one even after it fell out of the top-50?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 am

Enjoyable flame. Good work to all involved.

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:41 am

scribelaw wrote:
Biglawl1L wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I have been curious about Case Western for a long time. Great university, prestigious grad and professional programs, etc. The school was nearly top-40 a few years ago then fell hard. My question is, how is Case now regarded? I haven't done much research on the school, but I have been considering putting in a last-minute application there as well as at GMU as safety schools.
It has a really strong reputation in the region. I would say equal to UIUC (although PLess is a baller/shot caller). We do really well and punch above our rank.
This is not true. Not even close.

UIUC is a T25 that places well in Chicago BigLaw.

As far as Ohio goes, OSU > Cincy > Case.

Cincy has a pretty strong legal market that UC dominates. OSU has a great reputation statewide and is the only Ohio law school with reach beyond Ohio. Case places well in the Mistake On The Lake, but really, once LeBron leaves for the Knicks next year, what's left for Cleveland?
Dude, what world are you living in? No wayyyy is cincy>Case. Also, UIUC is getting hammered right now. Top 1/3 or so still has great options like Case, but the rest of the class is DOA.

Getting back to the intent of my original post...is the consensus to get back with the ex, spend some more time in Singapore, and then try to use those connections to try to get a foot in at Sidley?

What happens if I just miss out on LR? Would a secondary journal still work?

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:46 am

Biglawl1L wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
Biglawl1L wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I have been curious about Case Western for a long time. Great university, prestigious grad and professional programs, etc. The school was nearly top-40 a few years ago then fell hard. My question is, how is Case now regarded? I haven't done much research on the school, but I have been considering putting in a last-minute application there as well as at GMU as safety schools.
It has a really strong reputation in the region. I would say equal to UIUC (although PLess is a baller/shot caller). We do really well and punch above our rank.
This is not true. Not even close.

UIUC is a T25 that places well in Chicago BigLaw.

As far as Ohio goes, OSU > Cincy > Case.

Cincy has a pretty strong legal market that UC dominates. OSU has a great reputation statewide and is the only Ohio law school with reach beyond Ohio. Case places well in the Mistake On The Lake, but really, once LeBron leaves for the Knicks next year, what's left for Cleveland?
Dude, what world are you living in? No wayyyy is cincy>Case. Also, UIUC is getting hammered right now. Top 1/3 or so still has great options like Case, but the rest of the class is DOA.

Getting back to the intent of my original post...is the consensus to get back with the ex, spend some more time in Singapore, and then try to use those connections to try to get a foot in at Sidley?

You probably are a flamer, as others have suggested, but I do agree that Case >>>>> Cincy, and it's not even close. Nationally, people seem to regard Cincinatti as Ohio St.'s little biatch, while Case is a respected private research university. This is just a West Coaster's perspective based on things heard over the years.

I don't know anything about Sibley, Singapore, or your ex, so I can't comment on any of those.
Last edited by monkeyboy on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:47 am

Let it die

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 am

Again, I really dont know if it's a flame. he posts with such conviction that part of me thinks he's legitimately an idiot and immoral.

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 am

kittenmittons wrote:Let it die
How about you don't post on threads that don't concern you? K Thx. Bye.

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:59 am

You do seem to be in the clouds when it comes to legal employment. i am an 0L going to a T -10 school and I would be shitting myself if I get at the top 40%, but to each his own. In terms of your chances at Sibley, you only live once, if you want it, try everything you can to get it. But do not be disappointed when those with grades in the top 15% at top 10 school take up pretty much all the spots. Actually most spots probably go to HYSCCN. You should also be concentrating on more firms that are more in your range. I did the same thing in undergrad dude, i applied to banks like Goldman, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Lehman Bros, with a 3.2 and no connections...now I am unemployed and going to law school. Don't let this happen to you, cause what you gonna do with no job out of law school, go to cooking school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:09 pm

jnorsky wrote:no connections
Thanks for the honest feedback. I do realize that this is an uphill battle. That said, my thinking is premised, at least in part, on the connections my ex's father has with corporate law in Singapore. Coldcalling I would have no shot. I definitely understand that part.

At this point, I am wondering if it would be worth it to get back with my ex to pursue these connections. That needs to be a personal decision though.

I am really hell-bent on Sidley though so I think it may be worth it to suck it up and get back together with her. Plus if things don't work out and I actually end up in Singapore, there are plenty of hot girls there 8)

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:13 pm

You are trying so hard to troll.

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:18 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:You are trying so hard to troll.
We addressed users like you in previous pages. If you have nothing helpful to say then don't post. Pretty simple. Thx.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Kill yourself.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:37 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Kill yourself.

thatguyyouknow

New

Post by thatguyyouknow » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:45 pm

I think you should marry your ex then try and have a kid by the time you graduate. If her father has any ability to help you land a job, he is more likely to do it for the father of his grandkids than for some guy dating his daughter for the second time.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:
Nice picture response to (most likely) the only real lawyer ITT.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:
Are you kidding me?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:20 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Biglawl1L wrote:
Are you kidding me?
No.

--ImageRemoved--

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:

Cincy has a stranglehold on a stronger market than Case and places more into Biglaw... don't see how you think Case is better. Congrats on your flame too

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Edit out.. I don't even want to be a part of this.
Last edited by Blindmelon on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MU2009

New

Post by MU2009 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:35 pm

SOCRATiC wrote:
Biglawl1L wrote:Really? 0%? That seems overly pessimistic to me. I cant' speak to what HYS kids are going through and as far as I am concerned, that is outside the scope of this question. I interview really well and am banking on the fact that I can get my foot in the door via some face to face time. What do you guys think about working there over the summer as a lead-in to a permanent gig?
0% isn't pushing it. 10% would be overly optimistic. You'll need top 5% at case to even get your foot in the door for a legal career.

Edited.
LOL...so ignorant and wrong...

MU2009

New

Post by MU2009 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Notor wrote:
Biglawl1L wrote:

Cincy has a stranglehold on a stronger market than Case and places more into Biglaw... don't see how you think Case is better. Congrats on your flame too
Cincy isn't a larger legal market than Cleveland and Case does better in Cleveland than Cincy does.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:47 pm

This entire thread was a big ol' chucklefest for me. Especially when you said Case=UIUC. Case trolling... CLASSIC!

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:10 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:what a thread fail

--ImageRemoved--
Wrong. Thread =

--ImageRemoved--

For the record, props to Rammstein and Free Fire--awesome song.

For the record II, Case=UIUC. Both are regional schools with a measure of respect in their regions. UIUC = Ethics Fail.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”