Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Biglawl1L

Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:15 pm

Hey Guys, long time lurker and first time poster here. Could really use your advice and input on this one:

So I've done fairly well at a pretty good school (Case) 8) . I am above median and think I have a pretty good shot of landing a spot on a journal. Assuming I keep up my grades, what kind of shot would I have at Sidley Austin? Specifically, their Singapore office or maybe New York? Obviously, NY Big Law would be sweet. I did, however, spend a couple of weeks in Singapore one summer and think that would be pretty sweet too. Maybe it might give me an in?

I want to go to a top firm and after doing well, i want to really explore all of my possibilities.

I would love to hear what you guys think--thanks in advance!!

miamiman

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Postby miamiman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:17 pm

wait...are you serious? Is this a flame? you do know it's 2010, right? I dont even know if in 2007 any Case grads got jobs at Sidley -- let alone ones who were barely median. I hope this is a joke.

Biglawl1L

Postby Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:20 pm

No...why would you think this is a joke? Case does pretty well even ITE and is a strong school on the rise. I am looking for some substantive comments here. What are my chances with Sidley? I really did like Singapore a lot and think it would be a nice place to work and play :P

bees

Postby bees » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:21 pm

sigh :|

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:No...why would you think this is a joke? Case does pretty well even ITE and is a strong school on the rise. I am looking for some substantive comments here. What are my chances with Sidley? I really did like Singapore a lot and think it would be a nice place to work and play :P

OK. Assuming this isn't a flame -- and I still suspect it is -- let me address your question substantively:

chances in NY? 0%. chances in Singapore? 0%.

I doubt youll land big law at all with top 40% at Case, up and coming school or not. You do realize kids at HYS are getting no-offered, right?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:24 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:Hey Guys, long time lurker and first time poster here. Could really use your advice and input on this one:

So I've done fairly well at a pretty good school (Case) 8) . I am above median and think I have a pretty good shot of landing a spot on a journal. Assuming I keep up my grades, what kind of shot would I have at Sidley Austin? Specifically, their Singapore office or maybe New York? Obviously, NY Big Law would be sweet. I did, however, spend a couple of weeks in Singapore one summer and think that would be pretty sweet too. Maybe it might give me an in?

I want to go to a top firm and after doing well, i want to really explore all of my possibilities.

Someone's been watching too much Deep End.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:26 pm

--ImageRemoved--

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Biglawl1L wrote:Hey Guys, long time lurker and first time poster here. Could really use your advice and input on this one:

Someone's been watching too much Deep End.

Hahaha this is exactly what I was about to post.

SOCRATiC

Postby SOCRATiC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Case is not a strong school on the rise. An example of a strong school on the rise would be Washington University St. Louis.

Case bumping itself up a couple of rankings in the future would constitute its transition from T2 to the slums of T1. 40% for someone coming from the slums will not open a lot of doors.

Biglawl1L

Postby Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Really? 0%? That seems overly pessimistic to me. I cant' speak to what HYS kids are going through and as far as I am concerned, that is outside the scope of this question. I interview really well and am banking on the fact that I can get my foot in the door via some face to face time. What do you guys think about working there over the summer as a lead-in to a permanent gig?

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:31 pm

kittenmittons wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Still this.

SOCRATiC

Postby SOCRATiC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:Really? 0%? That seems overly pessimistic to me. I cant' speak to what HYS kids are going through and as far as I am concerned, that is outside the scope of this question. I interview really well and am banking on the fact that I can get my foot in the door via some face to face time. What do you guys think about working there over the summer as a lead-in to a permanent gig?

0% isn't pushing it. 10% would be overly optimistic. You'll need top 5% at case to even get your foot in the door for a legal career.

Edited.
Last edited by SOCRATiC on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:Really? 0%? That seems overly pessimistic to me. I cant' speak to what HYS kids are going through and as far as I am concerned, that is outside the scope of this question. I interview really well and am banking on the fact that I can get my foot in the door via some face to face time. What do you guys think about working there over the summer as a lead-in to a permanent gig?

Are you good at blow jobs and blackmail? No? Then zero.

Seriously, Northwestern 40% wouldn't even get you Sidley Austin.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:33 pm

I have to interpret you're a) retarded, b) ignorant, or c) both. Do you realize "working there over the summer as a lead-in" means you were a Summer Associate or "SA"? Do you realize that we are telling you that in order to get the SA you would need to be like top 5% at a T6?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you strike me as a flame or a retard and I can't decide which.

Biglawl1L

Postby Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Coke Zero? Look, I am not looking for haters here. My ex-girlfriend is from Singapore and her dad is a big-wig counsel over in Singapore and am thinking about tapping him for some connections. My understanding is that T1 law schools are looked upon favorably over there. Do you guys think this would be a good course of action?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Look at the posters name. This is a flame, and I'm retarded for not calling shenanigans 10 minutes ago.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:Coke Zero? Look, I am not looking for haters here. My ex-girlfriend is from Singapore and her dad is a big-wig counsel over in Singapore and am thinking about tapping him for some connections. My understanding is that T1 law schools are looked upon favorably over there. Do you guys think this would be a good course of action?

Tap your girlfriend, not the dad, even if Mullen says it is OK.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:37 pm

haha! This thread is hilarious. OP, if u are serious, I am jealous of your ignorance. Life would be so much easier.

vyelps

Postby vyelps » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:Coke Zero? Look, I am not looking for haters here. My ex-girlfriend is from Singapore and her dad is a big-wig counsel over in Singapore and am thinking about tapping him for some connections. My understanding is that T1 law schools are looked upon favorably over there. Do you guys think this would be a good course of action?

Uh...you asked for their opinion and they gave you a fairly educated guess. The probability that you land a job with Sidley in NYC or in Singapore is very very low. By all means try to get the job, no one here is going to care.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Look at the posters name. This is a flame, and I'm retarded for not calling shenanigans 10 minutes ago.

Im not convinced yet. It's entirely possible he's an idiot living in a daydream that it's 2006.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Case Western is not a T1.

SOCRATiC

Postby SOCRATiC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Prestigious law firms recruit from the slums very sparingly. Their search for the right candidate in such a neighborhood likens that of a person searching for a small plant (that's pretty much not worth taking home because it's so much crappier than those planted by the T6) on a 50-acre field of dirt. What exactly makes you think that simply networking your way through to Sidley through your gf's father will convince all the other partners/associates at the firm that you're the best choice?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Snarkiness aside, Sidley Austin is a V25 firm. Even during the boom Case placed well under 5% of it's class in V25 firms.

SOCRATiC

Postby SOCRATiC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:40 pm

scribelaw wrote:

Case Western is not a T1.

Technically it's not, but I don't see why #49 would differ from Case. The rankings don't matter as much after 40+.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:41 pm

miamiman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Look at the posters name. This is a flame, and I'm retarded for not calling shenanigans 10 minutes ago.

Im not convinced yet. It's entirely possible he's an idiot living in a daydream that it's 2006.

Case WesTTTern 2006 was probably top 5% gets the crappy big law firms, top 2 people get V25.

Case Western today is probably top 1 person gets to work for a public defender in Alaska.

Return to “What are my chances?”