3.5/151 - FML. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ahhshit

New

3.5/151 - FML.

Post by ahhshit » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:20 am

3.5, 151. I just got around to applying, to top it all off. I had a huge debacle with my academic transcript and it delayed my applications by 4 weeks, but that's another shitty story.

I've applied to a bunch of T3 schools, which I expect to WL/accept me, but I am also sending out applications to the following top 100 schools and thought maybe you guys could chance me before I wasted a few hundred bucks:

Maine
Seton Hall
St. Louis
Indianapolis

Any other suggestions? I don't have very many "soft factors," but I did work full time while attending college the first 2 years and 25 hours a week the last 2 years. (On top of the under-the-table jobs I worked, but I didn't include that bit.)

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

ogman05

Bronze

Re: 3.5/151 - FML.

Post by ogman05 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:06 am

Retake the LSAT. Otherwise do you really want to line in Maine for like ten years at least. Barring sweet connection you may have in the legal world these schools will limit you to their regions. If you could get a 160 you would go to a top 50 and prob some $$ at some. I started with a 142 diag 150 first LSAT. You can improve. Coming from experience. It would be worth waiting a year.

ahhshit

New

Post by ahhshit » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:09 pm

I actually wouldn't mind living in the areas these schools are in, so that's not a huge factor right now.

Anyone else?

owt

New

Post by owt » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:21 pm

you don't want to go to seton hall...

ahhshit

New

Post by ahhshit » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:23 pm

owt wrote:you don't want to go to seton hall...
Oh. Okay. Why?

Kinda not what the thread's topic was supposed to be about, but come one, come all, I guess!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

meddlingkid

Bronze

Post by meddlingkid » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:32 pm

ahhshit wrote:3.5, 151. I just got around to applying, to top it all off. I had a huge debacle with my academic transcript and it delayed my applications by 4 weeks, but that's another shitty story.

I've applied to a bunch of T3 schools, which I expect to WL/accept me, but I am also sending out applications to the following top 100 schools and thought maybe you guys could chance me before I wasted a few hundred bucks:

Maine
Seton Hall
St. Louis
Indianapolis

Any other suggestions? I don't have very many "soft factors," but I did work full time while attending college the first 2 years and 25 hours a week the last 2 years. (On top of the under-the-table jobs I worked, but I didn't include that bit.)

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
I have to agree with the 2nd poster. Your GPA is quite good--if you dedicate yourself to studying and retaking the LSAT in June, you could really open some more doors for yourself.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:33 pm

Study hard and retake. Higher LSAT will mean much much better schools.

UrbanAchievers

Bronze

Post by UrbanAchievers » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:38 pm

It's definitely worth waiting until next cycle. Retake the LSAT this summer and have your apps in on the first day admissions offices open in the fall. Try to build some meaningful job experiences in the meantime. Doe some volunteering if PI is your angle.

The LSAT score that is within your grasp will mean the difference between crushing debt and no career prospects, and a scholarship at a school that can provide you with employment prospects at graduation.

I doubt that "Wait a year" is the advice you want to hear, but it is the correct advice. Think of the year as an investment in your long-term future.

And good luck.

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:41 pm

While I agree with the sentiment, it appears you already took the LSAT and for most people out there, retaking is not an option (most folks don't have mommy and daddy to rely on) - esp or 2010-2011

Back to the post, I'd say you have a very difficult shot at those T2 schools. The range of geography you have listed is pretty extensive also, Upper NE, Mid Atlantic, and Midwest. Where do you actually want to practice?

Applying/Attending T2/3 schools is fine as long as you are targeting your applications. Going to Maine and figuring out you don't want to practice in Maine is going to make your career VERY difficult. Then again, if you're planning on transferring, make sure you wouldn't mind practicing in the area you are going to since transferring is not guaranteed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:45 pm

I agree with everyone else who has posted: retake!

I've seen this type of thing here before. You have a good gpa, bad LSAT, no softs, and you are applying late in the cycle. Really the only move worth making is to retake. Even if you don't improve much you can take the time to write a good PS and apply at the very beginning next year.

Also, not to sound like a douche, but don't rationalize your situation. Even if you really would be happy in any of the above regions mentioned, the point is to avoid being stuck there with no options and lots of debt. Even if you want to live in Maine, its not a good strategy to go a school that will limit your employment options. Even if you only gain like 5-8 points your situations improves dramatically.

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:48 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:While I agree with the sentiment, it appears you already took the LSAT and for most people out there, retaking is not an option (most folks don't have mommy and daddy to rely on) - esp or 2010-2011
Not sure I agree with this part. I graduated from college and worked while I studied for the Sept 09 test and have applied for this cycle. My parents are helping some for LS (thanks mom and dad!) but I'm not dependent on them for rent/food/gas, so continuing to work and retaking in June would have been an option if I bombed Sept.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:50 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:While I agree with the sentiment, it appears you already took the LSAT and for most people out there, retaking is not an option (most folks don't have mommy and daddy to rely on) - esp or 2010-2011
Figuring out how to survive for one year before law school >>>> figuring out what to do with $160K of debt and a TTT degree that can't get you employed

brianmck16

New

Post by brianmck16 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:51 pm

I am in the same boat as you. 3.5 with a 150 on the LSAT. Waitlisted at most T3 schools I applied to. As much as I want to start law school in August (and as much as it sucks) I think I will be retaking and retaking the LSAT later this year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UrbanAchievers

Bronze

Post by UrbanAchievers » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:37 pm

Being able to rely on your parents has nothing to do with the poster's predicament. The mentality that further relying on debt to maintain a standard of living, even if it is a poor choice that will be costly in the long run, is a flawed one.

I haven't relied on my parents since I was 17, and I certainly would not have attempted to enter into law school during this cycle had I scored a 151.

ahhshit

New

Post by ahhshit » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:43 pm

UrbanAchievers wrote:
Being able to rely on your parents has nothing to do with the poster's predicament. The mentality that further relying on debt to maintain a standard of living, even if it is a poor choice that will be costly in the long run, is a flawed one.

I haven't relied on my parents since I was 17, and I certainly would not have attempted to enter into law school during this cycle had I scored a 151.
Please keep your drama out of this thread, it's already gone off track. Thanks, appreciate it.

UrbanAchievers

Bronze

Post by UrbanAchievers » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:52 pm

ahhshit wrote:Please keep your drama out of this thread, it's already gone off track. Thanks, appreciate it.
It's not drama, it's advice with a personal story to reinforce the advice.

You came here for advice. Don't get upset if ti wasn't the advice you wanted to hear.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”