3.65/172, HYP UG -- Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dms

3.65/172, HYP UG -- Chances?

Postby dms » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:55 am

I took the Sept and December tests, scoring 169 and 172.

I've been complete at all schools since November but my applications are finally off hold after my December LSAT score. Duke and Michigan pretty much admitted me instantly after they received my second score. I have not heard from any other schools.

What are my chances at the Top 6? I can't seem to find much info for HYP applicants here - I know there's a boost, but will it be enough?
Last edited by dms on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derrex

Re: 3.65/172, HYP UG -- Chances?

Postby Derrex » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:12 am

Unfortunately, harvard seems to be a bit stingier with GPA this cycle which could make the top 3 hard to crack with that gpa. Very few people seems to be getting admitted with below a 3.8 gpa regardless of LSAT score so I would guess out at top 3. Someone with a similar GPA (HYP) and much higher LSAT score was rejected from harvard as well.

I'll guess you'll probably be in columbia/nyu (prob waitlist at columbia) but out at chicago.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:05 am

You'll get into all of CCN, but rejected from all of HYS.

badfish

Postby badfish » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:22 am

actually i think Columbia is more 50/50 at this point for you. HYP ug will help though.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:33 am

This is actually one of the rare instances in which I would say that your best bet out of HYS would actually probably be YLS. SLS places a heavy preference on GPA, and your LSAT/GPA combo probably isn't enough for HLS. However, if you were to make it past the admissions review at YLS, I would bet that professors would like your background and undergrad enough for you to be extremely competitive. Again, I think it comes down to whether you would make it through the initial review by the adcoms and get passed on to committee.

dms

Postby dms » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:37 pm

Just rejected from HLS, but that was not unexpected.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:33 pm

heyguys wrote:This is actually one of the rare instances in which I would say that your best bet out of HYS would actually probably be YLS. SLS places a heavy preference on GPA, and your LSAT/GPA combo probably isn't enough for HLS. However, if you were to make it past the admissions review at YLS, I would bet that professors would like your background and undergrad enough for you to be extremely competitive. Again, I think it comes down to whether you would make it through the initial review by the adcoms and get passed on to committee.

SLS places a heavy preference on GPA relative to its LSAT. YLS places heavy emphasis on both GPA and LSAT (having by far the highest ranges of any law school in both).

dms

Postby dms » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:51 pm

im_blue wrote:
heyguys wrote:This is actually one of the rare instances in which I would say that your best bet out of HYS would actually probably be YLS. SLS places a heavy preference on GPA, and your LSAT/GPA combo probably isn't enough for HLS. However, if you were to make it past the admissions review at YLS, I would bet that professors would like your background and undergrad enough for you to be extremely competitive. Again, I think it comes down to whether you would make it through the initial review by the adcoms and get passed on to committee.

SLS places a heavy preference on GPA relative to its LSAT. YLS places heavy emphasis on both GPA and LSAT (having by far the highest ranges of any law school in both).

Yeah, I think HYS is pretty much out, especially since this year is a very tough cycle.

I'm just a bit anxious about my chances at CCN due to the increased number of applicants this cycle. UVA looks like it'll YP me, leaving me with the potential nightmare scenario of denied at CCN due to tough cycle while YP'ed by non T6 schools who are looking at historical data for yields on applicants with my numbers.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:07 am

if you want to avoid yp at certain schools, think middle school. the girl doesn't know you like her unless you say something. if you actually like uva, make a visit if you can, call if you can't, and tell them so.

i don't know if yield protection is always the right way to describe what law schools are doing. they want to bring in people who want to be there. obviously i'm sure these rates and percentages are important to them, but you get what i'm saying.

past that, don't the chicago schools show a big preferential option for sky high lsat's?

Return to “What are my chances?”