Splitter, where should I apply? 179, 2.63

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
heyguys

Re: Splitter, where should I apply? 179, 2.63

Postby heyguys » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:40 am

I lucked out and made a 179. Seriously, anyone who says that an element of luck isn't involved in scores that high is lying to himself. The margin for error is very small--a lot of times, it just comes down to luck and circumstance.

sch6les

Postby sch6les » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:48 pm

Last edited by sch6les on Tue May 01, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:54 pm

chadwick218 wrote:NU ... I know a classmate that was admitted w/ similar #'s who applied late in the game as an RD. Unfortunately, I think that a scholarship will be hard to come by in the T14. Apply!

:mrgreen:

And by "late" he means February 4th...

superserial

Postby superserial » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:00 pm

justiceman wrote:I really don't want to spend 3 years in Chicago. And yes, a little bit of it is prestige. It may be superficial, but I'd like to go to a school with some lay prestige. After failing to even apply to any prestigious school for undergrad as an foolish 17-year-old [even though in hindsight I know I had the high school stats to get into some] I went to a TTT university and got a 2.63 GPA. So I'd like to go to a nice school, preferably ivy-league or similar, to have that prestige that I think I "deserve". Yeah, its superficial, but we can't control our emotions can we?
But again, I also know I am in a position where I need to take whatever I can get! I'd rather have Northwestern than anything out of the top 14, because it is top-14. And who knows if I'd even get into a top 14. Without a decent explanation for my undergrad lapses, even though I think I will never go back to that kind of academic behavior, whose to say any adcomm will believe that?
And of course, my other pipe dream is to transfer up during the 2nd year, no matter what school I get into.

uh.. Northwestern has plenty of lay prestige...

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:01 pm

justiceman wrote:So I'd like to go to a nice school, preferably ivy-league or similar, to have that prestige that I think I "deserve".

I mean going from an undergrad prestige point of view, Chicago, Duke, NU are "similar" in that they've got mid-lower-Ivy rankings without the Ivy label. If you want bonafide Ivy, then your only shots are Penn or Cornell, both of which don't seem likely. Penn doesn't like TTT undergrads and Cornell isn't known for accepting sub-3.0 candidates.

Lay prestige is also a dumb metric, as I've said before. There are only a handful of law schools that have lay prestige: Harvard, Yale, maybe Stanford. After that, everything is fairly geographical. People in Georgia have never heard of Columbia, but they know Duke is hot shit. People in northern Virginia tend to think Georgetown is hot shit, but often have no idea that UVA is prestigious.
Last edited by rayiner on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:03 pm

sch6les wrote:Well at least you are actually a splitter. Quite a few of the posters on here calling themselves 'splitter' are like 3.0/170. :roll:

:?:

justiceman

Postby justiceman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:56 pm

superserial wrote:uh.. Northwestern has plenty of lay prestige...

I don't think so. My feeling is that out of the field, few people have an idea of Northwestern, U Chicago, or Michigan as elite schools.

justiceman

Postby justiceman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:00 pm

rayiner wrote:then your only shots are Penn or Cornell, both of which don't seem likely. Penn doesn't like TTT undergrads and Cornell isn't known for accepting sub-3.0 candidates.

[quote="pattymac" You'll 100% make it into Georgetown at least part time and can anyone really see OP not getting into Cornell? His LSAT is 10 points higher than their 75th?[/quote]

Lol. So is Cornell unlikely or a sure shot? It's all just a crapshoot isn't it!?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:04 pm

justiceman wrote:
rayiner wrote:then your only shots are Penn or Cornell, both of which don't seem likely. Penn doesn't like TTT undergrads and Cornell isn't known for accepting sub-3.0 candidates.

pattymac wrote: You'll 100% make it into Georgetown at least part time and can anyone really see OP not getting into Cornell? His LSAT is 10 points higher than their 75th?

Lol. So is Cornell unlikely or a sure shot? It's all just a crapshoot isn't it!?

With numbers like yours, everything in the T30 is a crapshoot (except Northwestern ED).

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:07 pm

[quote="justiceman"][b]I really don't want to spend 3 years in Chicago. And yes, a little bit of it is prestige. It may be superficial, but I'd like to go to a school with some lay prestige. After failing to even apply to any prestigious school for undergrad as an foolish 17-year-old [even though in hindsight I know I had the high school stats to get into some] I went to a TTT university and got a 2.63 GPA. So I'd like to go to a nice school, preferably ivy-league or similaR[/quote]

Northwestern is very prestigious for anyone with a college degree- it is especially prestigious among those who actually hire people in the legal profession.

superserial

Postby superserial » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:15 pm

justiceman wrote:
superserial wrote:uh.. Northwestern has plenty of lay prestige...

I don't think so. My feeling is that out of the field, few people have an idea of Northwestern, U Chicago, or Michigan as elite schools.

people from my high school did (maybe because my high school was full of prestige whores in training)... I'm sure everyone from my college did as well.

Return to “What are my chances?”