Insight Appreciated!!!!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
im_blue

Re: Insight Appreciated!!!!

Postby im_blue » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:35 am

Halibut6 wrote:I'm not a URM, but LSP has been somewhat poor in predicting my cycle. I was rejected by both of the schools that I was Strong Consider for (Cornell and Texas), and waitlisted or rejected by all Considers. I didn't even apply to any Weak Considers or Deny's (which were only HYSCCN).

That's because your 3.92/165 are reverse splitter numbers, which LSP handles poorly. It thinks your high GPA can make up for your low LSAT, but as you've seen that's certainly not the case for most schools.

justiceman

Postby justiceman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:07 am

im_blue wrote:That's because your 3.92/165 are reverse splitter numbers, which LSP handles poorly. It thinks your high GPA can make up for your low LSAT, but as you've seen that's certainly not the case for most schools.

Is the predictor pretty accurate for normal splitters (high LSAT, low GPA)?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:09 am

justiceman wrote:
im_blue wrote:That's because your 3.92/165 are reverse splitter numbers, which LSP handles poorly. It thinks your high GPA can make up for your low LSAT, but as you've seen that's certainly not the case for most schools.

Is the predictor pretty accurate for normal splitters (high LSAT, low GPA)?

LSP probably underpredicts normal splitters, because in their case the high LSAT more than makes up for the low GPA (as long as it's not ~ sub-3.5 for T14 and sub-3.0 elsewhere).

justiceman

Postby justiceman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:12 am

im_blue wrote:LSP probably underpredicts normal splitters, because in their case the high LSAT more than makes up for the low GPA (as long as it's not ~ sub-3.5 for T14 and sub-3.0 elsewhere).

Well, I have a super high LSAT (179). Would that make up for my super-low GPA (2.65)?

Should I be more optimistic than my Predictor statistics would say, or less? I'm trying to not get my hopes up or down and be realistic about what schools to apply.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:14 am

You might be better-off re-taking and applying next year. If you must go this year, there are only four schools on that list I would look at:

Fordham
GMU
'Nova
Seton Hall

You might as well add Arizona, Arizona State, Houston, UC Davis, UC-Hastings, Miami, and Houston. All of those schools love Mexican URM's.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:33 pm

Splitters should always look at LSN over LSP because it gives a better idea of GPA/LSAT cutoffs and where reverse and standard splitters have the best chances to get in vs. getting a WL/Reject. Despite the sampling and self-reporting, I think it overall paints a good pictures of how each school treats individual LSAT and GPA's (that said, I'm pretty sure LSP is very accurate for those that have more median GPA's and LSAT's).

OP's highest PT was 162, not the average (and who knows, it could have been on an early PT and not a later PT), so I don't know how much a re-take would help. OP, how hard did you work in the class? Did you ask questions? Did you go to the extra help sessions? Do you feel like you were "getting it" or not? If you didn't work as hard as you could have, then a re-take is TITCR; if you feel like you maxed out and your chances of increasing are bad, then it's pointless. If not, you're probably into T3/T4 territory which tends to mean a lot of debt for bad job prospects.

ETA: URM is a game changer, if Mexican or PR and would probably make a difference (if that's the case, OP should consult the URM forum and ask for advice there).

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:46 pm

pink_law14 wrote: I am really against re-testing, by the way, I don't see a jump from 154/155 to 158/159 making that much of a difference with my GPA.

Pink...a jump to 158/159 will make a HUGE difference, especially if you're not stuck on getting into the T1. Personal experience, I have a 3.6 gpa and scored a 154 in June. I sucked it up, studied more, and tested in Sept and scored a 162. With the 154 i was looking at probably still getting in to Loyola New Orleans, maybe getting into LSU and defintiely NO SHOT at Tulane or Houston. After my retake I've got accepted to all 4 with big money from Tulane and a full ride at Loyola. So potentially, that 3 months of extra studying = over 100k in student loans i won't have to take. Think about it...if you hit 162 on one of your PTs then the potential is definitely there. Good luck.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:57 pm

pink_law14 wrote: I am really against re-testing, by the way, I don't see a jump from 154/155 to 158/159 making that much of a difference with my GPA.

I bombed the June LSAT and cancelled (games section first, mauve dinosaurs ate my confidence). I would have been in the 152-154 range I think. I sucked it up, studied again and got a 159. I'm not great on standardized tests by any means, but that 5 point jump did wonders so far. I have a lot of money at T3s which I might not have been accepted at with a 154, and I'm expecting some good T2 results. I don't have biglaw ambitions, so T2/T3 at a bargain is okay with me.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:06 pm

im_blue wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I'm not a URM, but LSP has been somewhat poor in predicting my cycle. I was rejected by both of the schools that I was Strong Consider for (Cornell and Texas), and waitlisted or rejected by all Considers. I didn't even apply to any Weak Considers or Deny's (which were only HYSCCN).

That's because your 3.92/165 are reverse splitter numbers, which LSP handles poorly. It thinks your high GPA can make up for your low LSAT, but as you've seen that's certainly not the case for most schools.

Yes, I have noticed this. However, the schools that I have gotten into have been extremely good about giving out scholarships. I guess they figure that if I am at or near their median LSAT, they want me to come in and help boost their 75th GPA.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:18 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
pink_law14 wrote:no job prospects from Pace or NY Law or Widener?

Not really. For Pace and NYLS, you're looking at the worst law schools in the most crowded law market in the US. Widener is regarded as one of the worst law schools in the US.

Pace is good for environmental law; it's competitive with the 30-50 ranked schools in that field. Any other field and you're screwed, though.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:23 pm

i was skeptical of lawschool predictor at first

but its been pretty dead on for me

also LOL at the longest chance thread ive seen in a while, possibly ever

Return to “What are my chances?”