164 / 3.46

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
colin

164 / 3.46

Postby colin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Double major from Northwestern (Econ and Legal Studies), work experience while in undergrad, URM.

With a 164 LSAT and 3.46 gpa, I'm wondering about my chances at Fordham and Cardozo. Applied about a month ago to several schools, but mostly curious about these two :-)

Thanks!

latinolaw

Re: 164 / 3.46

Postby latinolaw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:38 pm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:59 am

As a URM with a 164, isn't that shooting a little low?

am060459

Postby am060459 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:02 am

latinolaw wrote:In at Cardozo, maybe at Fordham.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

RC FAIL

am060459

Postby am060459 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:04 am

colin wrote:Double major from Northwestern (Econ and Legal Studies), work experience while in undergrad, URM.

With a 164 LSAT and 3.46 gpa, I'm wondering about my chances at Fordham and Cardozo. Applied about a month ago to several schools, but mostly curious about these two :-)

Thanks!

your golden at Fordham and Cardozo.

colin

Postby colin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:17 am

Thanks, guys! :-)

Definitely don't feel like Fordham is shooting too low, but hoping for a new york school and think Dozo might be a good fit. Applied to NYU for the hell of it but figured my numbers will ding me. Can't hurt to try I suppose.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:20 am

colin wrote:Thanks, guys! :-)

Definitely don't feel like Fordham is shooting too low, but hoping for a new york school and think Dozo might be a good fit. Applied to NYU for the hell of it but figured my numbers will ding me. Can't hurt to try I suppose.

I think you've got a better than decent shot at NYU.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/?whichCycle=0910

amcooper

Postby amcooper » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:21 am

blurbz wrote:

It depends what URM you are...

colin

Postby colin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:10 am

amcooper wrote:
blurbz wrote:

It depends what URM you are...

I'm an LGBT applicant:

Yes, I've done my job in using my statements to explain how being gay has influenced my undergrad education and my interest in going to law school, blah blah...

Yes, I understand that being an LGBT applicant isn't considered URM by everyone's account, and I have no interest in launching into the typical "lifestyle choice vs. race" discussion that I've seen on this forum.

However, with that said, I am curious as to whether or not anyone has an opinion on how my statements might influence my NYU app, if at all, since they seem to be particularly concerned with building a diverse student body compared to the other schools to which I've applied. I posted this topic because I was curious about Fordham and Cardozo and don't expect my numbers to be high enough for NYU, but any thoughts on the topic are, of course, much appreciated :-)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:24 am

You're not a URM, by anyone's account.

URM means "Under-Represented Minority" and it constitutes a few specific clearly defined racial groups. Either you are a URM or you're not, and if the only unique thing about you is your LGBT status, then no, you are clearly not a URM and should stop claiming to be one.

I say this as a person who has every interest in seeing LGBT applicants be successful both in their own lives and in changing the world through the law. I wish you well, but you are not URM and it's important you stop claiming such because doing so will cause people to give you invalid advice.

You have a strong shot at Cardozo and Fordham, and while you're a longshot at NYU, I don't fault you for applying there. However, you are most likely rejected there with your numbers, since it is largely a numbers game.

colin

Postby colin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:43 am

vanwinkle wrote:You're not a URM, by anyone's account.

URM means "Under-Represented Minority" and it constitutes a few specific clearly defined racial groups. Either you are a URM or you're not, and if the only unique thing about you is your LGBT status, then no, you are clearly not a URM and should stop claiming to be one.

I say this as a person who has every interest in seeing LGBT applicants be successful both in their own lives and in changing the world through the law. I wish you well, but you are not URM and it's important you stop claiming such because doing so will cause people to give you invalid advice.

You have a strong shot at Cardozo and Fordham, and while you're a longshot at NYU, I don't fault you for applying there. However, you are most likely rejected there with your numbers, since it is largely a numbers game.

Fair enough, and your answer is along the lines that I've expected. NYU is an interesting example, though, simply because they are one of the only schools that ask point blank, "Do you consider yourself to be a member of an under-represented group?" and allow space to explain beyond the "check which racial minority box applies to you" typical of most apps. Given the phrasing of that question and its context, I feel I answered honestly and genuinely, and we'll see what happens.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:54 am

colin wrote:Fair enough, and your answer is along the lines that I've expected. NYU is an interesting example, though, simply because they are one of the only schools that ask point blank, "Do you consider yourself to be a member of an under-represented group?" and allow space to explain beyond the "check which racial minority box applies to you" typical of most apps. Given the phrasing of that question and its context, I feel I answered honestly and genuinely, and we'll see what happens.

They are somewhat unique in that regard, and I hope it does help you. I was just trying to make you aware that saying "URM" means something specific on these forums, and which you're not included in. Good luck.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:03 am

vanwinkle wrote:
colin wrote:Fair enough, and your answer is along the lines that I've expected. NYU is an interesting example, though, simply because they are one of the only schools that ask point blank, "Do you consider yourself to be a member of an under-represented group?" and allow space to explain beyond the "check which racial minority box applies to you" typical of most apps. Given the phrasing of that question and its context, I feel I answered honestly and genuinely, and we'll see what happens.

They are somewhat unique in that regard, and I hope it does help you. I was just trying to make you aware that saying "URM" means something specific on these forums, and which you're not included in. Good luck.

ya and being LGBT might diversify a class, but you're not filling any URM quota - which is where it really matters.

colin

Postby colin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Waiting, waiting, waiting... In at DePaul and Loyola with $$$, but still hoping to make the jump to new york.

Return to “What are my chances?”