Typical split; need suggestions 2.4/167

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Skullington

Typical split; need suggestions 2.4/167

Postby Skullington » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Sorry for all the info, this is a really amazing resource I was just introduced to.

Where to start? Yes, I know my application is "late." A community college I attended over two summers for online classes took forever to send out my transcripts, and even then I was uncertain about retaking the LSAT.

My LSAC cum is a 2.4 (listed on transcripts as a 2.7). My in-major GPA is a 3.8, and my 300-400+ level course GPA is a 3.93. My grades have a very clear upward trend, and I think I could write some good addendums explaining my academic shortcomings (had open heart surgery and recurring complications for a year, depression after a divorce, mother had surgery and nearly died).

I worked off and on throughout, employed probably 3 years out of 5, usually for 20-30 hours.

LSAT: took it in December, got very sick in the middle of it, 163. Retook it in December (part of the late application) and still got sick toward the end, 167. I think I can get into a school I will be happy with at this number, but I am also confident if I retake it and nothing goes wrong, I can easily get a 170-172.

Softs: nothing great here, I worked, I've volunteered for a few charities and organizations through my jobs, basic club stuff in college, New Voter's Project, briefly hosted a radio show on campus.

Schools I had been interested in: Loyola Chicago, Seattle, U. of Iowa (resident), Albany, Las Vegas, New Mexico, Maine, Roger Williams, but I am open to suggestions.

Financial aid/scholarships will be significant for me.

qbid250ks

Re: Typical split; need suggestions 2.4/167

Postby qbid250ks » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:58 pm

Look at Rutgers Camden and Rutgers Newark Law Schools. I believe that you would have a serious chance at admission there, especially if you explain what happened with your GPA. Both are good law schools, although Rutgers Camden has a slightly better reputation.

In particular, Rutgers Newark has an option where you can choose to be evaluated either primarily on your LSAT and UGPA or on other factors. They allow you to choose how you would prefer to be evaluated!

Best of luck to you!

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Where do you want to eventually work? It seems like you have a few midwest schools, so make sure to apply to WUSTL (Washington U), Illinois, and Minnesota. I think Illinois waived the application fee this year, and I received waivers to Wash U and Minnesota by e-mailing the admissions dept. If you would consider working in Texas, U of Houston and SMU show splitters love. It's late in the cycle, but you still a good shot to get admitted somewhere. Good luck!

Skullington

Postby Skullington » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:04 pm

Yeah, I'm also interested in Minnesota, left that off the list.

In general, I'm open to the living situation. Midwest is what I'm familiar and happy with, but I would also love to try out the Pacific Northwest (Seattle), Southwest (UNLV, NM), or the Northeast (Albany, Maine), probably in descending order.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:17 pm

You definitely have a good shot at WashU and IU-Bloomington.

MTaylor25

Postby MTaylor25 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 pm

You will have some excellent choices with that 167 LSAT score and the dramatic upward trend in regards to your GPA! Congrats on the LSAT score and the great improvement's you made academically!

Skullington

Postby Skullington » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:22 pm

What do you think about waiting to apply at the start of next cycle and retaking the LSAT for a potential 170-172?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:35 am

Depends on what schools you're going for. If you want to break the t14, then retaking for a 170+ is your only shot.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:03 am

Look for schools that are rewarding high LSATs this year. Georgia, Washington U. of St. Louis, and George Washington are a few.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:11 am

Skullington wrote:What do you think about waiting to apply at the start of next cycle and retaking the LSAT for a potential 170-172?

This is definitely what you should do, if you can afford to wait until next cycle. You can retake in June, but make sure you can for sure improve your score, or it will look very bad.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:29 am

#50-100 range should be good for $$$. Can you do a one-year post-bac (i.e., undergrad) degree in a tough major and get straight A's? If you can do that, you might get into #30-50 with $$$, and maybe break Top-20. Don't waste that LSAT score. I would wait a year or two if I were you. The economy is bad anyways, so if you have a job, stick with it for another year, do some extra work, get A's and apply next year. Or raise that score four-five points. That in major GPA is great.

Return to “What are my chances?”