3.2/175 Army Officer/veteran

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Battle

Re: 3.2/175 Army Officer/veteran

Postby Battle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:07 pm

military officers are eligible for the post-911 GI Bill, but usually not 100%. Prior service officers and those selected for college-op OCS qualify for the entire bill.

be careful with the yellow ribbon classification. it was originally hailed as a great program, but private schools rarely lower their tuition to cover the entire state rate. i have found that most schools only reduce their tuition slightly, as this still allows them to claim that they are in the "yellow ribbon club."

i agree with the comment that most applicants do not understand the process and are not ready to apply to law school. i completed my applications while in Iraq. i would be lying if i told you that the applications had my undivided attention. furthermore, I had a difficult time juggling the responsibilities of a primary staff officer with studying for the lsat. not trying to make excuses, just stating my first-hand experience with this whole process.

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:35 pm

^ Yellow ribbon provides additional funds to help make up the difference between public schools (funded via GI Bill up to maximum in-state rate) and private schools.

Yellow ribbon for law school, in most cases, is a couple thousand/year. A few programs have a small number of very large amounts of money available (such as Virginia, which makes up the entire difference between GI Bill and tuition for 5 applicants). All in all, though, it's a little bit of help, but I don't think it was ever meant to address the insane cost of law school. In most cases it's a nice little extra, and it could certainly be a factor in choosing between comparable schools.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:02 pm

im_blue wrote:I also concur. Military service is great, but it's not curing cancer.

Active duty in a war zone isn't curing cancer, but in terms of rare and exceptional softs, it's close, and unlike curing cancer it's a soft that some people today actually have.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:08 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
im_blue wrote:I also concur. Military service is great, but it's not curing cancer.

Active duty in a war zone isn't curing cancer, but in terms of rare and exceptional softs, it's close, and unlike curing cancer it's a soft that some people today actually have.

Do you know of any LSN accounts that show a significant military bump?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

No, unfortunately, and I don't know how to go about searching for them easily.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Yea that was my problem too.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:32 pm

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:46 pm

2-05-09: ACCEPTED AT UC BERKELEY! E-mail from Dean Tom. Not sure how this happened, maybe the "holistic" approach they preach really is true. Anyway, this was my Hail Mary school, so people with similar numbers - there is hope!

This is what I'm hoping for.

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:43 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

There was a girl last year with excellent softs + military experience (including deployment) who got into HYS with a 3.8/168. Unfortunately she deleted or made invisible her LSN account, and she had softs beyond "mere" combat deployment, but she definitely exists.

I also had military experience (no deployment) and I think it helped push me into Stanford despite my relatively (lower than 3.7) GPA. Again, I had other softs and a great LSAT, but historically Stanford values GPA far more than LSAT.

I don't think a 3.2/175 is going to break into HYS, but on the other hand I think it would be unnecessary for the OP to ED to UVA unless that truly were his top choice.

bahama

Postby bahama » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:15 pm

I had a very similar experience to Haribo.

Military background + other good softs -> Got in one place below median LSAT/below 25th GPA, another couple where I was below 25th GPA, and a bunch of schools (some with $) where I was median LSAT and below median GPA.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:38 pm

TY for your service.

I got into CCN with similar numbers. I also had very good softs (as you seem to). I see no reason why you could not expect a similar result - as long as you apply early in the cycle. I don't think you need to ED anywhere. As others have said, you may have an outside shot at both H and Y (S is out for sure). Of the two, Y is more willing to go below their numbers if your softs are earth-shattering.

jsanchez13

Postby jsanchez13 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:54 pm

I thought I would weigh in as a person who thinks it does matter.

Don't underestimate the skills and value Law Schools place on military service...especially service that is unique. I approached my LS applications that same way I approach my job. I planned, practiced and focused everything on winning the task at hand. However, due to deployments and time away from home....I crammed for the LSAT in 3 weeks. Busted out a whopping 152.

I knew I did not have time to retest for this cycle...so put my best foot forward and sold myself. I visited the schools I was interested in for campus tours that I negociated into some sitdown time with admissions folks. Told them of my experience and addressed the low LSAT up front and explained in detail my circumstances.

They understand what is going on in the world today and the heavy load you are carrying. I was accepted into multiple T14 and was accepted into Duke Law where I will be going.

Just wanted to give some folks hope. I'm not that great, but I put in the time and effort into what I wanted. Law Schools do value perspective and it does bump you....how much depends on you.

Good luck to everyone.

s/f

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:00 pm

I'm glad the last few posters have come forward to provide some actual references, and reinforce the idea that OP should blanket the T14 and not give up on the top schools.

And to all of you, thank you for serving our country.

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:59 am

Just curious, of the veterans in this thread, what branch of service? I was enlisted in the Air Force and I'm a slimy contractor now. I'm currently working with the Army and regularly work with the Air Force and occasionally the Navy. Great peeps everywhere, occasional tool excepted.

Also, AF > the rest :wink:

snake-eater

Postby snake-eater » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:25 am

bahama wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:I feel like the military soft may be getting over valued in this thread.. I don't think it is as strong as people think it is. At least it hasn't appeared so to me.

I agree.

It seems to matter quite a bit for some folks and not much for others.

I'm not sure why this is, but suspect it has a lot to do with how the military applicant frames their application rather than some sort of inherent numeric value of the soft.

I also think a lot of military folks hurt their chances by doing things like applying late in the cycle (often due to deployments or other factors beyond their control), hastily putting together their applications, or just not fully understanding the process or what schools are looking for.

The military soft factor only helps if you were actually in a legitimate leadership position or were a member of an elite unit (group, batt, nsw). The whole I went to OIF/OEF thing will not get you any points because it says nothing about your potential to succeed in law school. Unless you can tie in a specific experience that demonstrates your ability to succeed in your PS, being a vet means squat.

s.e.

RickyRoe

Postby RickyRoe » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:07 am

You are all overvaluing military service a a soft. I have the highest respect for his military service, but simply being deployed is not going to get him into YHS.

If he received the Medal of Honor, a service cross, or Silver Star, then that would be another thing. Even if he just got a Purple Heart or something he might be able to write a PS that gets him in, but the OP never mentioned anything like that.

Return to “What are my chances?”