Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:16 pm

Last edited by splittermcsplit88 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Re: 2.7/173 HELP

Postby im_blue » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

If you have a good reason for that low GPA (hard major, etc), you should aim for UVA, NU, or GULC ED.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:41 pm

EDing to UVA is probably your only shot at the T14 at all this cycle. Not a high chance of getting admitted at all, but better than none.

Next cycle you might try EDing to NU as your best shot. Also, WUSTL as a safety/target. They'll take almost anyone with an LSAT that high.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:45 pm

NU only tolerates low GPAs in light of work experience. The OP clearly is still in undergrad because they waited for grades. You could try UVA ED this cycle; otherwise, all I can recommend is to blanket everyone ranked between 10 and 50 and hope for some good bites and scholarship offers. Applying to UVA ED early next cycle would give you a good chance, as would NU if you get a great job immediately upon graduation. Agreed on WUSTL; they will admit you if you apply in September next cycle.

So, next September:

1. NU ED if you get work experience
2. UVA ED if you don't
3. WUSTL regardless
4 A ton of other schools from Cardozo to Duke to see who bites

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 pm

Unfortunately, it's not likely that you will get any acceptances, with that low of a GPA. Despite what they tell you, schools do in fact have cut-off numbers, below which they automatically throw out applications without even reading them. This is a widely known fact. Undergraduate performance as poor as yours is not becoming of a lawyer, and no law school is going to seriously entertain the possibility that someone who got a 2.7 will do much better in law school.

zettsscores40

Postby zettsscores40 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:55 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:Unfortunately, it's not likely that you will get any acceptances, with that low of a GPA. Despite what they tell you, schools do in fact have cut-off numbers, below which they automatically throw out applications without even reading them. This is a widely known fact. Undergraduate performance as poor as yours is not becoming of a lawyer, and no law school is going to seriously entertain the possibility that someone who got a 2.7 will do much better in law school.

You are a ratard. Please stop giving advice.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:22 am

T14_Scholly wrote:Unfortunately, it's not likely that you will get any acceptances, with that low of a GPA. Despite what they tell you, schools do in fact have cut-off numbers, below which they automatically throw out applications without even reading them. This is a widely known fact. Undergraduate performance as poor as yours is not becoming of a lawyer, and no law school is going to seriously entertain the possibility that someone who got a 2.7 will do much better in law school.

TINTCR (this is NOT the correct response)

MTaylor25

Postby MTaylor25 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:38 pm

LOL at this absurd response!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:43 pm

LOLz.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:52 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:

You are a [strike]ratard[/strike] troll. Please stop giving advice.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Looks like somebody's bad advice triggered the NU Splitter bat-signal.

Numbers are close to auto-admit at WUSTL, UIUC, IUB, maybe Minn.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:58 pm

NayBoer wrote:Looks like somebody's bad advice triggered the NU Splitter bat-signal.

Numbers are close to auto-admit at WUSTL, UIUC, IUB, maybe Minn.

Hahahaha

Overplayed, but appropriate here.

ahshav

Postby ahshav » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:45 am

Although everyone seems to love criticizing this response, it is not too far from the truth - barring the elitist attitude. I had very similar numbers last year, and I had to push to get into decent schools - and I'm 4 years out of college, with very strong softs.

My (non-expert) advice would be to do one of two things - if the OP is still in college, don't graduate! You have an amazing LSAT - stay an extra semester (or year) and take as many credits as you can do well in, but the question is why the current GPA? Is it because of having fun? If so - buckle down, and bring the GPA up to a 3.0, if possible - then you have a fighting chance at far more places.

The other option would be to work for a couple years. The problem is, however, that you would still be left with that GPA, which is a lot of baggage, even with a few years out.

In any case, I wouldn't apply now. The LSAT shows that the GPA doesn't reflect your ability (if not desire, willingness, or stamina) to do well. If you think you can do better given the chance - then wait.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:43 am

ahshav wrote:

Although everyone seems to love criticizing this response, it is not too far from the truth - barring the elitist attitude. I had very similar numbers last year, and I had to push to get into decent schools - and I'm 4 years out of college, with very strong softs.

My (non-expert) advice would be to do one of two things - if the OP is still in college, don't graduate! You have an amazing LSAT - stay an extra semester (or year) and take as many credits as you can do well in, but the question is why the current GPA? Is it because of having fun? If so - buckle down, and bring the GPA up to a 3.0, if possible - then you have a fighting chance at far more places.

The other option would be to work for a couple years. The problem is, however, that you would still be left with that GPA, which is a lot of baggage, even with a few years out.

In any case, I wouldn't apply now. The LSAT shows that the GPA doesn't reflect your ability (if not desire, willingness, or stamina) to do well. If you think you can do better given the chance - then wait.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are somehow totally unaware that WUSTL, UIUC and IUB regularly accept tons of people with less than 3.0 - and even many less 2.5. Northwestern accepted at least 3 people in this thread with less than 3.0.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:46 am

NayBoer wrote:I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are somehow totally unaware that WUSTL, UIUC and IUB regularly accept tons of people with less than 3.0 - and even many less 2.5. Northwestern accepted at least 3 people in this thread with less than 3.0.

There are three people on this thread alone, who got into NU with sub 3.0 GPA.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:51 am

lol

From another thread:
T14_Scholly wrote:Hey everybody, I'm on the waitlist at GW and wanted to posit some questions for you all. Would it be advisable to send in an LOCI this early? My writing is very strong, and I believe it will make me stand out.

T14_Scholly? More like T30_Reject.

ahshav

Postby ahshav » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:58 pm

NayBoer wrote:I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are somehow totally unaware that WUSTL, UIUC and IUB regularly accept tons of people with less than 3.0 - and even many less 2.5. Northwestern accepted at least 3 people in this thread with less than 3.0.

How many years out of college? What other softs? How far below 3.0? There is a very significant difference between 2.9 and 2.7.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:32 pm

ahshav wrote:

How many years out of college? What other softs? How far below 3.0? There is a very significant difference between 2.9 and 2.7.

No there's not, at least in terms of law school admissions. Once you go below 3.0 it seems like there's a lot of schools that have a 2.5 floor and others that have none at all. The schools that take below-3.0 applicants typically take just about any 170+ applicant as long as they have WE or something to justify their poor grades.

A 2.9 and 2.7 are both below the 25th percentile and affect rankings the same. 3.0 is really a psychological floor more than anything and schools either draw the line there or much lower.

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:40 pm

JazzOne wrote:

lol

From another thread:
T14_Scholly wrote:Hey everybody, I'm on the waitlist at GW and wanted to posit some questions for you all. Would it be advisable to send in an LOCI this early? My writing is very strong, and I believe it will make me stand out.

Harsh, but funny. Kudos.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:41 pm

booboo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

lol

From another thread:

Harsh, but funny. Kudos.

The guy deserved it for running his mouth. +1

No1ustad

Postby No1ustad » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:43 pm

living proof otherwise right here. T14 class of '13. didn't even get the waitlist, though i still think mebbe it's a mistake. :-p and maybe that's due to listening to advice from ppl like u...

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:46 pm

ahshav wrote:

Northwestern requires WE. The others appear to require none, though it's a little harder to tell with LSN. WUSTL likes 167+, UIUC and Minn seem to faint for roughly 166+, IUB falls hard around 164/165. All except UIUC have historically gone below 2.5 often. Minn was a blip last year when it snubbed splitters, but it seems to be back on track this year.

There is not a huge difference between 2.9 and 2.7. Even below 2.8 NU is pretty accepting. The other midwestern splitter schools do not seem to make a big issue of 2.7 versus 2.9. The critical cutoff points are just below 3.0 (where MVP really lose interest), and below 2.6 or 2.5, where it often gets tougher. The number of >170/<2.6 applicants is so small that it's hard to learn much about it.

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/

And check out the other four as well. Or just use hourumd:

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=170-180&gpa=2.1-2.95

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:50 pm

How many of you got T14 schollies? None? Not surprising. Now shut up and go sit in your timeout chair in the corner.

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:53 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:How many of you got T14 schollies? None? Not surprising. Now shut up and go sit in your timeout chair in the corner.

I wouldn't be so presumptuous. There are some excellent students ITT, who attend excellent schools.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:58 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:How many of you got T14 schollies? None? Not surprising. Now shut up and go sit in your timeout chair in the corner.

I did. A lot of T14 scholarship offers, in fact. I took the 1/2 tuition at a T6. My GPA was bad, I went to a no-name undergrad, and I was in the bottom half of my undergrad class. Now sit down, shut up, and stop offering bad advice.

Return to “What are my chances?”