Intelligent input desired on a personal dilemma

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
palarmon

Intelligent input desired on a personal dilemma

Postby palarmon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:50 pm

I am a Junior at UT, 3.75 GPA, Linguistics Honors major, 162 LSAT (taking again in June aiming for a 170+) and on course to graduate May 2011...

my dilemma is as follows:
I have an opportunity to Intern with the European Union through a school program BUT BUT BUT that would delay my graduation one semester.

So my question is, does this opportunity's benefits outweigh the possible costs of delaying my graduation? I have a strong interest in international/comparative law and I feel this fact supported by an Internship overseas would compensate for any deficiencies in grades or LSAT... what do you guys think about this? worth it? Is there a significant drawback to applying to top law schools for the spring? Or should I work a semester and then apply for the fall of 2012? Any commentary on this would be GREATLY appreciated! My top choices are: UT Austin, UC Berkley, Columbia/NYU, Georgetown, Chicago, and a few others.

I am not an URM but I am going to try to justify being hispanic since I have bloodlines to spain lol... just assume I'm not an URM >:-(

Campagnolo

Re: Intelligent input desired on a personal dilemma

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:54 pm

I say if you have the opportunity to get some experience outside the classroom, you should take it. I took a year before going to undergrad, and the perspective something like a little time away from the classroom can give is immense. Right now I am taking a year with AmeriCorps before applying to law school. It will make you hungry for more school if nothing else.

If you can afford to live off your parents or savings, do something worthwhile after you come back. A semester away from school will do you good.

vanwinkle

Re: Intelligent input desired on a personal dilemma

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 pm

Campagnolo wrote:I say if you have the opportunity to get some experience outside the classroom, you should take it. I took a year before going to undergrad, and the perspective something like a little time away from the classroom can give is immense. Right now I am taking a year with AmeriCorps before applying to law school. It will make you hungry for more school if nothing else.

If you can afford to live off your parents or savings, do something worthwhile after you come back. A semester away from school will do you good.

This is very true.

Return to “What are my chances?”