Chances of Junior at GU applying to Oxbridge for Affil. Law

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ydd

Chances of Junior at GU applying to Oxbridge for Affil. Law

Postby ydd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi,

I'm a non- US citizen (Middle Eastern). I'm going to graduate from Georgetown in a year, and I have been seriously considering applying to UK law schools. I've been particularly drawn to the Oxford Senior Status program.

I'll hopefully graduate with a GPA above 3.8 (definitely above a 3.7), decent extra- curriculars, but my secondary school grades were not all that brilliant (2 As and a C at A level), and if they decide to go as far back as my IG's they were 2A*s, 2As, 2Bs, and 1C. Also, I have 2 semesters worth of internships. One with my government, and another with a very reputable corporation. I've also taken a couple of summer terms abroad in the UK ( one at LSE and another at KCL) and have gained 2:1's and 1sts in the courses.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out my chances of being accepted?

turkishangora

Re: Chances of Junior at GU applying to Oxbridge for Affil. Law

Postby turkishangora » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:23 am

sf
Last edited by turkishangora on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:24 pm

What's an Oxbridge?

Xiaolong

Postby Xiaolong » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:30 pm

umichgrad wrote:What's an Oxbridge?

Two schools that vastly outrank your school in reputation and academic rigor.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:31 pm

Xiaolong wrote:

Two schools that vastly outrank your school in reputation and academic rigour.

fixt.

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:56 pm

rayiner wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:

fixt.

xiao, let me guess, you go to... haryaleford?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:06 pm

umichgrad wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:

fixt.

xiao, let me guess, you go to... haryaleford?

"Oxbridge" is just a really common formulation, especially because it's a huge step down from Oxbridge to ICL or UCL (at least in prestige; some rankings have had ICL and UCL reaching or surpassing Oxford in quality of late) while US schools are not nearly so strongly tiered.

ydd

Postby ydd » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:43 pm

turkishangora wrote:Do you want to practice in the US? I know in the UK that you don't necessarily need a law degree to practice; I know ppl who read PPE practicing law. But for the US, I remember reading somewhere that it's a lot more difficult with a foreign degree. I also heard that in London US associates earns more. I know that US associates definitely earn more than the UK counterparts.

As to chances for the US law schools - I think your GPA is pretty competitive if paired with a good LSAT score. But all in all I think the issue depends on where you want to practice in the long run. I doubt the foreign citizen thing will harm you - if anything, it'll be a boost to your application. Schools say they love diversity.

But I do understand the appeal of Oxbridge :) Good luck!

Well, eventually I hope to do both a JD and a BA Law/LLB. I'm doing the latter first for the very reason that I do not do well on standardised tests, and would like to strengthen my application beforehand (I'm hoping for HYS or Columbia). The reason I'm asking about Oxbridge is because there really is a lack of information regarding US university applicants for affiliated/ senior status degrees.

Appreciate any help! :) And, I'm actually hoping to work in my home country, potentially in the diplomatic corps but I'm really not sure.

Return to “What are my chances?”