165/3.73 what are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yjj209

165/3.73 what are my chances?

Postby yjj209 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:55 am

What do you think are my chances at T14?(specifically which schools?)
Also, if I wanted to practice in NYC or globally at a BIGLAW, which schools do you think I should go for (among those schools where my chances are pretty solid, T14 or not)?

165 LSAT
3.73(LSAC-adjusted)/3.80(non-adjusted) GPA from NYU (major: Econ)
international student

softs:
fully trilingual + intermediate Italian&Spanish
military experience (interpreter/weapons analyst for Korean and US military intelligence agencies)
less than a year of management consulting experience
raised in three different continents

bees

Re: What are my chances at top 14?

Postby bees » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:01 am

HYSCCNBPMDNVCG - out

LSAT is too low, bringing it up a few points would really help.

I suppose Fordham if you are aiming for NYC, not sure for globally but I'm guessing that's T14 (or better) territory.

Cupidity

Re: 165/3.73 what are my chances?

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:03 am

ED to UVA and pray.

bfarring

Postby bfarring » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:05 am

If you can boost your LSAT 3-4 points you are in much, much stronger shape. Your "softs" will definitely stand out but I don't know if the very top schools will take you on those alone.

yjj209

Postby yjj209 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:08 am

Cupidity wrote:ED to UVA and pray.

Got an app. waiver from UVA and WashU (twice from WashU)
You think it even means anything?

Also GW or Fordham, given the above info I provided?

bees

Postby bees » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:11 am

yjj209 wrote:

UVA is just trying to increase their # of applicants.

You're in at WUSTL, GW, and Fordham - even this late in the cycle I'd bet.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:14 am

Out at GW, check their LSN.

yjj209

Postby yjj209 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:16 am

bees wrote:
yjj209 wrote:

UVA is just trying to increase their # of applicants.

You're in at WUSTL, GW, and Fordham - even this late in the cycle I'd bet.

In that case, in terms of prestige and employment prospects,
WUSTL vs GW vs Fordham vs BU vs Vandy (if I even have a shot) vs UCLA (if I have a shot) vs USC?
What do you think my choice should be, in order of significance?
(FYI, law firms in Hong Kong and Seoul--where I will most likely be working in the future-- usually look for credentials that NY law firms look for + overall school reputation)
Also, my plan is to specialize in M&A, securitization and/or restructuring..

bees

Postby bees » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:35 am

I'm going to say out at Vandy and UCLA and a serious reach at USC but most likely out there as well.

BU looks good, but as for which of the schools you've got a shot at is best for working internationally, I have no idea. I'd guess virtually everyone in Hong Kong and Seoul haven't heard of any of them.

I think the number of people who go to law school and plan on working where you want to work in the fields you want to work in are so small that it would be difficult to tell you exactly what to do.

I think your best bet is going to have to be getting some meaningful work experience here in the states after law school before going overseas. If you think NYC is your best bet for getting you into international work then go to Fordham and try to work for a firm in NYC.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:35 am

No chance at T14. You're looking at 20-30 with those stats.

smiley

Postby smiley » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:39 am

i got in at gw and bu and so far an interview at georgetown with a lower lsat. if you wanna go somewhere, apply there. you never know.

yjj209

Postby yjj209 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:52 am

bees wrote:I'm going to say out at Vandy and UCLA and a serious reach at USC but most likely out there as well.

BU looks good, but as for which of the schools you've got a shot at is best for working internationally, I have no idea. I'd guess virtually everyone in Hong Kong and Seoul haven't heard of any of them.

I think the number of people who go to law school and plan on working where you want to work in the fields you want to work in are so small that it would be difficult to tell you exactly what to do.

I think your best bet is going to have to be getting some meaningful work experience here in the states after law school before going overseas. If you think NYC is your best bet for getting you into international work then go to Fordham and try to work for a firm in NYC.

Thanks! helps a lot!
So you think Fordham's my best bet in terms of job placement in the city, right?
Spent most of my time in NYC out of all the places I grew up in, so works for me!
Another thing though..
Practically being from the city, I am well aware that Fordham has a solid rep there.

In terms of nationwide reputation, though, how do you think Fordham ranks? (USN rankings aside)
And would you say Fordham has a definite edge over Wash U or BU in terms of securing a BIGLAW job in the city?
(The reason why I am so obsessed with BIGLAW is due to my immigration status. Not many firms outside of BIGLAW would be willing to support my visa documents from what I know)

bees

Postby bees » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:31 am

Outside of the T14, nationwide reputation (or the portability of your degree, which is what I hope you're talking about, because people having heard of the place you went to law school is of no value) drops close to 0.

Outside of the T14, in this economy especially, only go to school somewhere you'd be comfortable working. Since for you that is NYC, then yes I think picking Fordham over the other schools you have mentioned is a no-brainer.

yjj209

Postby yjj209 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:28 am

bees wrote:Outside of the T14, nationwide reputation (or the portability of your degree, which is what I hope you're talking about, because people having heard of the place you went to law school is of no value) drops close to 0.

Outside of the T14, in this economy especially, only go to school somewhere you'd be comfortable working. Since for you that is NYC, then yes I think picking Fordham over the other schools you have mentioned is a no-brainer.

Thank you!
You were of tremendous help!
Just hope to get in now!

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:09 am

A lot of people here advise against this, but if you have the money to spare, apply to a bunch of schools in the T14. Be realistic that you'll probably get shut out, but if you're determined to not wait a year and reapply, you'll only do this once, and you just might get lucky . . . I have very similar numbers and I think pretty decent softs and got picked up at Michigan, so it does happen.

yjj209

Postby yjj209 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:27 am

amputatedbrain wrote:A lot of people here advise against this, but if you have the money to spare, apply to a bunch of schools in the T14. Be realistic that you'll probably get shut out, but if you're determined to not wait a year and reapply, you'll only do this once, and you just might get lucky . . . I have very similar numbers and I think pretty decent softs and got picked up at Michigan, so it does happen.

I did, in fact, apply to every single one of the T14 schools in the beginning of the year..
I do have some $ to spare I guess..
I don't have my hopes up on this..but..
If I get lucky, that would be great!

In terms of softs, military experience and corporate finance/management consulting exprience + a multicultural background with a few languages at ease with my tongue.. + international experience..+ formerly a pro boxer..hmm..
+ co-founding a multinational human rights program targeted for North Korea..
If that all amounts to nothing then, I shouldn't be whining, I guess..
But then I figure that there are a lot of those with more stellar achievements and impressive backgrounds applying as well, especially this year..
sigh~

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:30 am

Good luck.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:10 am

If you are URM you have an excellent shot.

goingtolawschool

Postby goingtolawschool » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Whoever tells you that you have a chance at any school at any Top19 with your numbers, has no idea what they are talking about. You'd be out at every Top19 last cycle, and definitely this cycle. You are most likely out also at BU, BC, GW, and Fordham.

I think you should go ahead and apply to the schools that gave you a fee waiver, there's no harm in that, but any other school you mentioned would be a waste of app fee.

Wanna get into T14? Retake retake retake and apply early next cycle. If you are determined to go to law school now, then you should target Illinois, Indiana, Emory.

vsg211

Postby vsg211 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:30 pm

bfarring wrote:Also GW or Fordham, given the above info I provided?

My LSAT is slightly lower than yours and GPA is almost exactly the same (and also an econ major from NYU haha) and I got into GW FT and Fordham PT. I would apply to both- i think you have a decent shot. Good luck!

bees

Postby bees » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:46 pm

goingtolawschool wrote:Whoever tells you that you have a chance at any school at any Top19 with your numbers, has no idea what they are talking about. You'd be out at every Top19 last cycle, and definitely this cycle. You are most likely out also at BU, BC, GW, and Fordham.

I think you should go ahead and apply to the schools that gave you a fee waiver, there's no harm in that, but any other school you mentioned would be a waste of app fee.

Wanna get into T14? Retake retake retake and apply early next cycle. If you are determined to go to law school now, then you should target Illinois, Indiana, Emory.

I agree with what you said about the T19, but did you even look at LSN before saying out at the other schools? I just pulled up Fordham for fun and it's far from a lock but 165/3.7x did okay last year. Given his softs I'd say he's alright.

Return to “What are my chances?”