Retake the LSAT??

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
stoicjustice

Retake the LSAT??

Postby stoicjustice » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:05 pm

So, I am seriously considering retaking the LSAT. I applied to 14 schools this cycle and have heard back from 8. I was rejected by my super-reaches (Harvard, Michigan, Berkeley) and accepted by Hofstra, Vermont, Seton Hall, and Case Western. (WL by Northeastern) Still haven't heard back from Buffalo, PSU, UConn, Madison, W&L, or BC.

I have an extremely low 3.x cum GPA and mid 150s. I would absolutely LOVE to go to a t14 school. Is it worth it to take a year off and re-take the LSAT? Say I was to hit high 160s, would that put me in the running for NYU/Columbia/Michigan/Chicago???

stripedbanana10

Re: Retake the LSAT??

Postby stripedbanana10 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:15 pm

LMAO. No.
Columbia/NYU/Chicago would never take you unless you are a URM and won the Rhodes.
U need 170s at least. At Mich the median is 168 -- and you need higher to offset your bad GPA.
Try for Cornell, if anything.
Good luck.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Why did you waste $97 applying to Harvard? You would need to be a military veteran URM who did Teach for America, won a Rhodes scholarship and cured cancer to get in at Harvard with those numbers. (And I doubt even such a person would get in.)

Columbia, Chicago and NYU will never take you unless you get well into the 170s--like a 175, at least. Michigan might take you with a 172 or so. Cornell or Georgetown might be a more realistic goal, but you're probably better off just trying to get into the 15-30 range with an LSAT in the high 160s, although none of the schools in that range is guaranteed short of a 170 if your GPA is around a 3.1 or so. You applied to BC--make that your goal. They will reject you with your current numbers, but a vastly improved LSAT would give you a shot next cycle.

stoicjustice

Postby stoicjustice » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:24 pm

BenJ wrote:Why did you waste $97 applying to Harvard? You would need to be a military veteran URM who did Teach for America, won a Rhodes scholarship and cured cancer to get in at Harvard with those numbers. (And I doubt even such a person would get in.)

Columbia, Chicago and NYU will never take you unless you get well into the 170s--like a 175, at least. Michigan might take you with a 172 or so. Cornell or Georgetown might be a more realistic goal, but you're probably better off just trying to get into the 15-30 range with an LSAT in the high 160s, although none of the schools in that range is guaranteed short of a 170 if your GPA is around a 3.1 or so. You applied to BC--make that your goal. They will reject you with your current numbers, but a vastly improved LSAT would give you a shot next cycle.

thank you for the constructive advice. I am in the MI corps of the military right now with a combat tour and 3 foreign languages......no Rhodes scholarship though:(

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:27 pm

If you want any shot at a T14, you need to get a 170 and apply to UVA ED next year. You'd also need a 170+ for any other T14, and if your GPA is less than 3.3, you'd have zero chance at Columbia/NYU regardless of LSAT. In conclusion: retake.

stoicjustice

Postby stoicjustice » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks for all of the advice. I am really not sure how possible it is for me to get a 170+ so just going with what I've got may be the best bet. I mean it I possible but I will still be working full time so a 170 may be pining it on only 6 hours a week or so.

Postby 4910 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:04 am

if your gpa is below 3.6, harvard is pretty much out even with a 174+ unless you are an URM. other than that, if you score in the low to mid 170s, you will get into some T14s for sure. a score in the 150s - 160s is hard to work with though with your gpa.

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:32 am

stripedbanana10 wrote:LMAO. No.
Columbia/NYU/Chicago would never take you unless you are a URM and won the Rhodes.
U need 170s at least. At Mich the median is 168 -- and you need higher to offset your bad GPA.
Try for Cornell, if anything.
Good luck.

The median at Mich is actually a 169 (25th is 167). The median at Boalt is a 168 (25th is a 165 though). You pretty much need mid 170s to have a shot.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:25 pm

stoicjustice wrote:Thanks for all of the advice. I am really not sure how possible it is for me to get a 170+ so just going with what I've got may be the best bet. I mean it I possible but I will still be working full time so a 170 may be pining it on only 6 hours a week or so.

If you do not think 170+ is possible, I'd say try to hit a 168 and then try for GWU, BU, BC, Emory, etc.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:01 am

stoicjustice wrote:So, I am seriously considering retaking the LSAT. I applied to 14 schools this cycle and have heard back from 8. I was rejected by my super-reaches (Harvard, Michigan, Berkeley) and accepted by Hofstra, Vermont, Seton Hall, and Case Western. (WL by Northeastern) Still haven't heard back from Buffalo, PSU, UConn, Madison, W&L, or BC.

I have an extremely low 3.x cum GPA and mid 150s. I would absolutely LOVE to go to a t14 school. Is it worth it to take a year off and re-take the LSAT? Say I was to hit high 160s, would that put me in the running for NYU/Columbia/Michigan/Chicago???

I was in the same position as you but I had a higher GPA. I waited a year and studied my ass off for the LSAT. It was worth it, since last year I would have only had shots at T50, but this year i have already broke into the top 10. Never sell yourself short.

Return to “What are my chances?”