Too late for scholarship money at GW/USC/UCLA?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
democrattotheend

Too late for scholarship money at GW/USC/UCLA?

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:29 am

Looking at LSN, it looks like people with similar numbers to mine have gotten pretty generous scholarships to GW, UCLA, and USC. So I am thinking about applying to those schools, especially GW, since I really want to stay in DC and even if I get into Georgetown, I am not sure it's worth paying sticker.

It looks like people with similar numbers have gotten $105,000 or $90,000 from GW, but I am wondering if it is too late if I apply in the next few days. I think I saw someone last year who said that GW had run out of money and did not give her any even though other people with her numbers had gotten substantial grants. Do you think it's too late to apply and get scholarship money? Their deadline is not until March 31st, so I am thinking it might not be, but does anyone have any experience with this?

UCLA and USC both waived my application fee and it seems like people with similar numbers got scholarships, but since their application deadlines are February 1st, is it too late to get any scholarship money if I apply now?

itsfine

Re: Too late for scholarship money at GW/USC/UCLA?

Postby itsfine » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:32 am

a buddy of mine had 169 and 3.9X and got a full ride to gw and applied around this time last year.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:39 am

democrattotheend wrote:Looking at LSN, it looks like people with similar numbers to mine have gotten pretty generous scholarships to GW, UCLA, and USC. So I am thinking about applying to those schools, especially GW, since I really want to stay in DC and even if I get into Georgetown, I am not sure it's worth paying sticker.

It looks like people with similar numbers have gotten $105,000 or $90,000 from GW, but I am wondering if it is too late if I apply in the next few days. I think I saw someone last year who said that GW had run out of money and did not give her any even though other people with her numbers had gotten substantial grants. Do you think it's too late to apply and get scholarship money? Their deadline is not until March 31st, so I am thinking it might not be, but does anyone have any experience with this?

UCLA and USC both waived my application fee and it seems like people with similar numbers got scholarships, but since their application deadlines are February 1st, is it too late to get any scholarship money if I apply now?

You should throw in an app to UT. Last cycle people with your numbers got similar scholly $$$ in February.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:43 am

Esc wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Looking at LSN, it looks like people with similar numbers to mine have gotten pretty generous scholarships to GW, UCLA, and USC. So I am thinking about applying to those schools, especially GW, since I really want to stay in DC and even if I get into Georgetown, I am not sure it's worth paying sticker.

You should throw in an app to UT. Last cycle people with your numbers got similar scholly $$$ in February.

I just don't think I'd want to be in Texas. My understanding is that UT places very well in the South and Southwest, but I am not interested in practicing law in those regions. Ultimately I want to come back to DC to practice, so that's why I am thinking GW might make more sense than some higher-ranked non-T14 schools in other regions. I could also see myself practicing in California, depending on what I end up deciding to do (if I decide to do labor law, CA seems like a good place to practice because they have strong labor protection laws). But I can't see myself practicing in Texas or anywhere else in the South, so I don't think UT makes a lot of sense for me.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:47 am

itsfine wrote:a buddy of mine had 169 and 3.9X and got a full ride to gw and applied around this time last year.

Thanks, that is very helpful to know. But I thought GW only gave full rides to ED applicants, and it's too late for ED. Are you sure your friend got a full ride and not 2/3?

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:01 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
Esc wrote:

I just don't think I'd want to be in Texas. My understanding is that UT places very well in the South and Southwest, but I am not interested in practicing law in those regions. Ultimately I want to come back to DC to practice, so that's why I am thinking GW might make more sense than some higher-ranked non-T14 schools in other regions. I could also see myself practicing in California, depending on what I end up deciding to do (if I decide to do labor law, CA seems like a good place to practice because they have strong labor protection laws). But I can't see myself practicing in Texas or anywhere else in the South, so I don't think UT makes a lot of sense for me.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

GW will do you better for DC, and UCLA/USC will do you better for CA, but UT places decently well in both locales. UT places about 2/3 of each class in Texas, but 2/3 of the student body are Texas residents, so there is a lot of self-selection. The other 1/3 mainly goes to DC, NYC, and CA...not many UT grads actually practice in the South or Southwest. I would still throw in an application, since you have good chances for $$$. At the very least, you could definitely use a $$$ offer from UT to bargain for more money from UCLA or GW.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:23 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
itsfine wrote:a buddy of mine had 169 and 3.9X and got a full ride to gw and applied around this time last year.

Thanks, that is very helpful to know. But I thought GW only gave full rides to ED applicants, and it's too late for ED. Are you sure your friend got a full ride and not 2/3?

positive, hes my best friend, plus they gave him free first year living. granted, we have thrown around the idea that perhaps he got the full ride bc gw knew they were going to drop some places in the ranking and they were trying to secure kids with grades like his.

Return to “What are my chances?”