Worth It?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Oberlion
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Worth It?

Postby Oberlion » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi, I am wondering whether applying to Penn at this late a stage is just a waste of money, or not.

Non-URM, Numbers: 169, 3.7

Already in at Cornell; waiting to hear from Michigan, Duke, and several others.

Thanks.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Worth It?

Postby im_blue » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:23 pm

It's a waste of money regardless, since you're below both of Penn's medians. You should get into both Michigan and Duke.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Worth It?

Postby kn6542 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:26 pm

Oberlion wrote:Hi, I am wondering whether applying to Penn at this late a stage is just a waste of money, or not.

Non-URM, Numbers: 169, 3.7

Already in at Cornell; waiting to hear from Michigan, Duke, and several others.

Thanks.

In addition to your chances, whether it is "worth it" would depend on how interested you are and how much $50 (or whatever the fee is) means to you. If you are financially comfy and super interested, then do it. If you are scraping the barrel and are just blanketing the T14, maybe lay off. Dunno. Need more info.

User avatar
Oberlion
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: Worth It?

Postby Oberlion » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 pm

I am interested in Penn... I would probably be deciding between it and Michigan, if I were accepted to both.

Also, $ is not an issue.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Worth It?

Postby kn6542 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Oberlion wrote:I am interested in Penn... I would probably be deciding between it and Michigan, if I were accepted to both.

Also, $ is not an issue.

Well, you won't get in if you don't apply. It's a reach, and if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't put much hope on it, but reaches have been reached before, and it's just $50.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Worth It?

Postby im_blue » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:34 pm

169/<3.8 went 0 for 17 on LSN last year. If money's no issue, I would apply anyway.

http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,7&type=jd

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Worth It?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Sorry, you're just below median in both and that means 0% chance.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Worth It?

Postby kn6542 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:35 pm

im_blue wrote:169/<3.8 went 0 for 17 on LSN last year. If money's no issue, I would apply anyway.

http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,7&type=jd

eh, then maybe it is a waste of money. lol.

User avatar
Oberlion
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: Worth It?

Postby Oberlion » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm wondering if anyone knows which (Michigan or Penn) is better - although obviously neither one is ideal - for getting into academia?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Worth It?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Oberlion wrote:I'm wondering if anyone knows which (Michigan or Penn) is better - although obviously neither one is ideal - for getting into academia?

Neither produce a signfiicant number of law professors. For both the number is above 0 but not by much.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Worth It?

Postby im_blue » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:43 pm

Oberlion wrote:I'm wondering if anyone knows which (Michigan or Penn) is better - although obviously neither one is ideal - for getting into academia?


Probably Michigan, since Penn focuses relatively more on biglaw.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests