Which schools should I apply to? 3.85/163

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
whereto4law

Which schools should I apply to? 3.85/163

Postby whereto4law » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:46 pm

I am applying this fall (enrolling in the fall of 2011), but I am hoping to get some input for schools to come up with a finalized list. Here are my stats:

Non-URM
Florida resident - no regional preference for practicing
3.85 (University of Florida; Sports Management, Business)/163
Pretty good softs (involvement in college, community service, 2 yrs. work experience, etc.)
Strong LOR's

I would appreciate suggestions for likelies, possibles and reaches (planning on applying to 10+ schools). Also, any tips related to the application process? Thanks!

whereto4law

Re: Which schools should I apply to? 3.85/163

Postby whereto4law » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:50 am

I know I can go to other websites for my chances of admission based purely on numbers, but I would really like to hear opinions about the schools, chances of schoalrship $$$, etc. My first list of schools includes the following:

Florida State
Florida
American
Georgia
UNC
Fordham
GWU
Emory
Boston
Wash U (MO)
Southern Cal
Vandy
UT Austin
UCLA
Georgetown
UC Berkeley

Thanks for your help in advance!

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:57 am

whereto4law wrote:I know I can go to other websites for my chances of admission based purely on numbers, but I would really like to hear opinions about the schools, chances of schoalrship $$$, etc. My first list of schools includes the following:

Florida State
Florida
American
Georgia
UNC
Fordham
GWU
Emory
Boston
Wash U (MO)
Southern Cal
Vandy
UT Austin
UCLA
Georgetown
UC Berkeley

Thanks for your help in advance!

This isn't an insult, but if you are applying next year, retake. You have a very solid GPA, and months to study. If you raised your LSAT only 3 or 4 points with your GPA you would have solid, not lock, but solid chance at Berkley which is the best school IMO in your list. Right now you are in at your first four schools the rest are probably rejects. 163 seems to be on the wrong side of the admissions line at several schools this year.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:20 am

I agree with the other poster - if you are not applying until next cycle, definitely retake. You have a great GPA and your LSAT score is selling it short.

If you are applying this year, or just don't think retaking could possibly yield a better score, I would say apply to Georgetown but put that you are willing to accept part time or full time. I think you have a pretty good shot at getting in part time.

Also, UVA just extended its ED deadline, and I would consider going that route. UVA seems to be pretty splitter-friendly, and since your GPA is at their median, they might consider you with a lower LSAT score, especially if you ED. But 163 might be a little low...if you had a 3.9 I'd say you'd have a great shot. Are you a VA resident by any chance? If you are I'd say you have a decent shot.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:41 am

with your numbers I would stick to UF/FSU.

You have a shot at the low end of the T30, W&L, maybe BC, ND, W&M, but it isn't a great shot. you are unlikely to get money at any of these though. In State, Florida with no money is like 30k a year most other places. We are talking a debt of 30k compared to 100k+, and even though the employment option are weaker, they are still solid.

UF is the better school, but gives virtually no merit aide, FSU is your better bet for money.

whereto4law

Postby whereto4law » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:49 am

Thank you all for the responses. I do not plan on retaking the test because I studied very hard for the LSAT and believe it would be difficult to improve significantly upon my 163 (considering practice test results, hours of preparation, and the fact that I work 50+ hours per week).

Also, I have seen that applying early is helpful at most schools so I am going to have my apps completely submitted by October to give myself the best possible shot. I am a Florida resident, but I am not interested in a PT law school program. I will certainly consider ED at UVA.

My initial thought was to go to the best school I can get into (which I do think/hope will rank between 15-30) especially since I ultimately would like to practice in a large market. However, perhaps staying in state and graduating with little debt will be my best bet in the long run?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:57 am

whereto4law wrote: However, perhaps staying in state and graduating with little debt will be my best bet in the long run

I'm in a simmilar situation with 166, 3.87

I don't think you have a shot at the T-14, and I don't think the T-30-15 schools are worth sticker price. So unless you get lucky and get $ from W&M or UIUC, which I think are you two best shots at money, stick to Florida, save your $$$.

Believe it or not (and most on this board will deny this fact) there is Florida Big Law, and UF dominates it. You will need to graduate top 10%, but if you think you can manage that, you can find a six-figure job in Orlando, St. Petersburg or Miami. Quite frankly, 100k in St. petersburg beats 200k NYC (at least for cost of living)

Try to get lucky with the T-30, but if you don't, it's great to be a florida gator.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:00 pm

You will get into at least a few T30-type schools with your numbers. You have a great GPA.

The problem is, with that LSAT, you're going to have to pay sticker. And ~$160k in debt for a T30 school, ITE, is an objectively bad bet.

I studied really hard for my first LSAT, too. I retook and improved nine points. It's doable. If you look at the LSAC reports, most retakers tend to improve at least a point or two.

Even if you inch up to 166-167, you'd be looking at major scholarships -- perhaps even a few full rides -- at T30 schools.

ViP

Postby ViP » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Don't mean to dig-up an old thread, but I think this might be useful for OP.

Assuming you have a well-crafted personal statement and all-around application, you have a nice list of schools to target.

My numbers are very, very similar to yours (tweak the GPA just a bit), and I've applied to schools for Fall 2010. If you apply early, I think you can expect something closer to this:

Florida State- IN
Florida- IN
American- IN
Georgia- IN
UNC- Hard to predict...
Fordham- WL/IN
GWU- WL
Emory- WL
Boston- WL/IN
Wash U (MO)- WL/IN
Southern Cal- OUT/WL
Vandy- OUT/WL