2.66/156 Some Great Softs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Bruslance

2.66/156 Some Great Softs

Postby Bruslance » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Hello All,

I am just wanting to get your opinion on the top three schools you think I should apply to. Once again my numbers are 2.66/156 (they suck I know), and I am a 27 white male (Not URM).

I do think I have some decent softs:
-Military
-M.S. (Administration)

Also, I wanted some specific thoughts on applying to Iowa. I am a resident and half their seats are reserved for in state residents along with the fact that I got my undergrad. degree from Iowa as well. I just want to know % chance you think I have of getting in and if you think that specific school is worth the application fee.

I look forward to your advice on both topics.

secretasianman

Re: 2.66/156 Some Great Softs

Postby secretasianman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Well, according to law school predictor, you have less than a 5% chance of getting into Iowa. I think a realistic set of schools would be in the T4 range. You might want to check it out for yourself though if you already haven't: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com -> calculator and just plug away!

am060459

Postby am060459 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:28 pm

is retaking an option for you? need at least 165+ to be considered (weak consider 22%) at Iowa.

Bruslance

Postby Bruslance » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Honestly retaking isn't a real option, and I figured it would be a hail mary play to try and get in with my numbers. I'm just looking at a few reaches to apply to this cycle as I've got my safety picks done.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:29 pm

according to http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm you are a weak consider at two schools: New Mexico and Hofstra. Its obvious the site does not factor in your softs but i would say your very limited. im curious to what schools you applied to that you considered safeties?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Bruslance wrote:Honestly retaking isn't a real option, and I figured it would be a hail mary play to try and get in with my numbers. I'm just looking at a few reaches to apply to this cycle as I've got my safety picks done.

It should really be an option, if you want to attend IA. I think even Drake would be a stretch. Your softs are interesting, but they will not carry you into a top tier law school.

Take it from someone who was in your shoes, your only option here is to retake.

Bruslance

Postby Bruslance » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:41 pm

My safties are obviously all tier 4, and mainly in Texas and Michigan (since my GI Bill goes the furthest there.) I am not really aiming to make it in the top 100 as I know my scores are too low.

I guess I am really looking for some decent tier 2 schools in which to apply that I may not have thought of. I am looking for low cost namely as I know enough that my career choices aren't the greatest to say the least coming out of law school, but my GI Bill will help defer some of that cost (at least 30K no matter where I go and more depending on region). I am sure there are some tier 2 schools with a pretty strong regional reputation that I am not aware of or some fairly low cost ones within my range.

So perhaps I should have clarified that. I do realize that T100 are not really possible for me.

Bruslance

Postby Bruslance » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Veritas wrote:It should really be an option, if you want to attend IA. I think even Drake would be a stretch. Your softs are interesting, but they will not carry you into a top tier law school.

Take it from someone who was in your shoes, your only option here is to retake.

I appreciate your advice, but I am kind of stuck at this point as I am leaving the military this summer, and it's either transition into a new job (which will be hard given the economy), or go ahead with whichever school is the best fit that I can get into. I've been wanting to go to law school for a long time now, and pretty much given up hope after my sophmore year, but I am giving it a shot now. I just don't want to risk having to explain a year gap in my employment/education when applying next cycle. If I can't get into school in Iowa, then I am okay with that. I am just at a good transitioning point in my life, and I have to accept my weak numbers and press on. I am responsible for those and I have accepted the consequences. I want to end up working government anyway so I am not too concerned about reputation of the school since most positions give a significant boost to employing veterans anyway. I am, however, concerned with keeping costs low.
Last edited by Bruslance on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MU2009

Postby MU2009 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Bruslance wrote:My safties are obviously all tier 4, and mainly in Texas and Michigan (since my GI Bill goes the furthest there.) I am not really aiming to make it in the top 100 as I know my scores are too low.

I guess I am really looking for some decent tier 2 schools in which to apply that I may not have thought of. I am looking for low cost namely as I know enough that my career choices aren't the greatest to say the least coming out of law school, but my GI Bill will help defer some of that cost (at least 30K no matter where I go and more depending on region). I am sure there are some tier 2 schools with a pretty strong regional reputation that I am not aware of or some fairly low cost ones within my range.

So perhaps I should have clarified that. I do realize that T100 are not really possible for me.

What about?
Arkansas-Little Rock
West Virginia

I believe after 1 year you could get in-state tuition at both and they have a little regional pull for where they are in the rankings.

You also could be a decent candidate for a few part time programs such as Indiana-Indianapolis or William Mitchell (pretty good regional school but pretty expensive, I believe).

Bruslance

Postby Bruslance » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:10 pm

MU2009 wrote:What about?
Arkansas-Little Rock
West Virginia

I believe after 1 year you could get in-state tuition at both and they have a little regional pull for where they are in the rankings.

You also could be a decent candidate for a few part time programs such as Indiana-Indianapolis or William Mitchell (pretty good regional school but pretty expensive, I believe).

Thanks those are excellent suggestions! Just got done look at them and neither of them look bad and won't leave me hanging with a bunch of debt when I am done.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Can u do Part Time programs? I know your number could probably get you into Rutgers. If you do well your first year, you can do some summer classes and get into full time for your 2L or possibly to a higher ranked school (If you're a believer in ranking).

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:33 pm

I imagine that the military in particular would really help out but you need to have the numbers to get your app looked at in the first place.

Bruslance

Postby Bruslance » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:04 pm

I have considered doing part time, but I think if I did I would try for Univ. of Hawai'i (since that's where I've been stationed for almost 4yrs and I love it here) would getting into Rutger's make a big impact on transferring up?

Also, I know I am hard headed about not retaking, but I just can't bring myself to put it off another year. I know I can get into 4th tier pretty easily, but I am sure there are some decent 3rd tier schools out there that I could get into and do well with and at this point that is mainly what I am trying to determine.

Return to “What are my chances?”