US Marine Officer, 2.8 GPA/165 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

US Marine Officer, 2.8 GPA/165 LSAT

Postby usmccormick » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:33 pm

I'm a US Marine with two deployments to Afghanistan and I'm looking to get out sometime in the future. A took an LSAT back in December and got a 165. Now, at my undergrad, I got a less-than-stellar 2.8. Alot of that was due to a 2.0 sophmore year. I've excelled in Marine Corps academics, I graduated in the top 5 of my class (80 students) at artillery school, one of the most academically intense courses the Marine Corps offers.

Where should I look? T14, I realize are mostly out of the question. I'm open to suggestions.

Re: US Marine Officer, 2.8 GPA/165 LSAT

Postby sky7 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:36 pm

Last edited by sky7 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cole S. Law

Postby Cole S. Law » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Similar stats...slightly lower GPA, slightly higher LSAT. I was waitlisted by most schools 20-35 and got in everywhere below that I applied. Play up the military experience as evidence of improved work ethic, discipline, maturity to mitigate the low GPA. I got a LOR from my 1SG and Battery Commander and several adcoms commented positively on them when they met me at admitted student days. Hope that helps.

PS: Begin your post 9-11 GI Bill paperwork today if you haven't already. It will make things much easier when your first semester starts.

Postby mugwump » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Retiring from the Air Force in March. Have lower LSAT and a slightly higher GPA. Admitted to schools ranked 35 and below; pending or dinged at schools ranked higher. LORs written by supervisors from my last four postings. I let my resume and LoRs do the "talking" about my career; focused on my interest in law in my PS. Won't say this is a good approach but it's what I did. I let Yellow Ribbon participation affect my choices...aiming to emerge from law school debt-free.

Return to “What are my chances?”