3.7 GPA, what LSAT score for these schools? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Pricer

Silver

3.7 GPA, what LSAT score for these schools?

Post by Pricer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:58 pm

I graduated (early) in December from UGA with a 3.7. I do not have an LSAT score on file, and I am behind on studying. My first practice test without looking at any material was a 166, but I have been going over guides since. My recs are mediocre, and my personal statement, upon completion, should be above average. I have a major drawback, however, in my single arrest. The end of freshman year (Spring 2007), I was arrested for DUI/MIP/open container/possession of fake ID. I plan to write the usual addendum, addressing the charges, punishments, and how I have changed since. I did tons of community service and attended AA for a while. The MIP is no longer on my record (first offender), but I know I should list it anyway, especially since it is only logical that I received that charge when I have a DUI listed at 19 years old. I have also been on school probation once, but it was a direct result of the arrest. UGA has a policy that a student is put on probation with the school after receiving an MIP. Additionally, I am a white male from Georgia.

What do you guys think I will have to make on the February LSAT if I want to apply and be accepted to these schools when considering the above information? I know I am jumping in late, but it can't be impossible.

UGA
Emory
Bama
Boston College
UVA
UNC
Georgetown
Texas

Any input is helpful. Thank you.

vale1rd

New

Re: 3.7 GPA, what LSAT score for these schools?

Post by vale1rd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:13 am

UNC 165+
UGA 166+
Alabama, BC and Emory 167+
Texas 170+
Georgetown 171+
Virginia 174+

You can definitely afford to go lower on those depending on your softs, etc. But i just figured for guaranteed admittance, you would be safe with those scores

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Pricer wrote:I graduated (early) in December from UGA with a 3.7. I do not have an LSAT score on file, and I am behind on studying. My first practice test without looking at any material was a 166, but I have been going over guides since. My recs are mediocre, and my personal statement, upon completion, should be above average. I have a major drawback, however, in my single arrest. The end of freshman year (Spring 2007), I was arrested for DUI/MIP/open container/possession of fake ID. I plan to write the usual addendum, addressing the charges, punishments, and how I have changed since. I did tons of community service and attended AA for a while. The MIP is no longer on my record (first offender), but I know I should list it anyway, especially since it is only logical that I received that charge when I have a DUI listed at 19 years old. I have also been on school probation once, but it was a direct result of the arrest. UGA has a policy that a student is put on probation with the school after receiving an MIP. Additionally, I am a white male from Georgia.

What do you guys think I will have to make on the February LSAT if I want to apply and be accepted to these schools when considering the above information? I know I am jumping in late, but it can't be impossible.

UGA
Emory
Bama
Boston College
UVA
UNC
Georgetown
Texas

Any input is helpful. Thank you.
If you're able to get a 168 or higher and want a school in the south (from your list), I'd kick an app to Duke and Vanderbilt as well.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:22 am

vale1rd wrote:UNC 165+
UGA 166+
Alabama, BC and Emory 167+
Texas 170+
Georgetown 171+
Virginia 174+

You can definitely afford to go lower on those depending on your softs, etc. But i just figured for guaranteed admittance, you would be safe with those scores
LOL. These numbers are not accurate.

I'm not sure how applying that late in the cycle will affect you, but you should check out LSN graphs for all these schools. You can check for late applicants.

For example, a 174 would get you yield protected, rather admitted, at Virginia (unless you ED'd). A 3.7/174 are Columbia-level numbers. You DO NOT need a 167 to get into Alabama, as well.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:24 am

Last year, according to LSN, UVA appears to have had a hard line at 170 below which they rejected everyone with a GPA 3.7 and below and accepted or YP'ed everyone with a 170 or above. An applicant with a 171/3.7 who submitted fairly late even got a significant scholarship:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/friedfood

To have a shot at admission at UVA, you probably need a 170 (although they will probably give you a fee waiver, so at least try if you have a 166 or higher). The numbers drop basically on the scale vale1rd provided for the remaining schools (that is, 167+ for Georgetown, 166+ for Texas, 163+ for Alabama/BC/Emory, etc.).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 am

scribelaw wrote:
I'm not sure how applying that late in the cycle will affect you, but you should check out LSN graphs for all these schools. You can check for late applicants.
I will have to go do that. I have looked at the normal stats for these schools, but I know applying so late can only hurt my chances. I didn't know I could check for late applicants.

Thanks everyone so far.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:38 am

I don't think you have a real chance of applying this cycle. However, you need 170 or higher for UVA either way. High 160s gives you a good chance at GULC and BC. If you can score in the 168-169 range you need to be hitting up Duke and Cornell; if you're at 170+ you need to be hitting Michigan and Penn too.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:13 am

Realistically, UGA is my primary goal. Since I did undergrad here, I am already very familiar with the campus, town, and people. The others are just places I would like to go. Without a scholarship (which it is too late to apply for most), it would be a HUGE financial obligation to attend anywhere else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”