Canadian Student: 2.0/163. Applying late!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
doriangray

Canadian Student: 2.0/163. Applying late!

Postby doriangray » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:38 am

I have a horrible GPA (2.0) from a top Canadian university, scored 163 my first time writing the LSAT but I have taken a looong time to complete my UG. In my second year I withdrew due to a traumatic medical experience (spent ~2 months in the hospital), which made it difficult to return to full-time studies. I plan on writing an addendum, but I will also be applying late (beginning of Feb) due to my transcript being on hold due to outstanding tuition.

I have volunteer experience, glowing LORs from volunteer coordinators, work experience throughout the bulk of my undergraduate (worked a bit too much) and I have an upward trend in my GPA.

I'm hoping for admission to a Top 100 school, hopefully Oregon, Hofstra, Seattle, potentially Cooley (tempting scholarship offering). Any suggestions?

Cheers :)

Snwboarder78

Re: Canadian Student: 2.0/163. Applying late!

Postby Snwboarder78 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:10 am

Unfortunately, that GPA is going to really hinder your chances anywhere in the top 100. You might want to consider sitting out a year and getting that LSAT score up to help your chances. Otherwise based on LSP you're best chances are at New Mexico, Buffalo SUNY, and Hofstra. Though you may have some chance with a school that needs a higher LSAT to raise their class average, but I am not sure your GPA would balance it out at all.

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:22 am

I really hate it when TLSers regurgitate what they hear from other people. I have a 2.2 UGPA and got into a top 30 Law school. Admissions Committees do not strictly look at numbers. That being said You really should wait until next year to apply. A 163 is a solid LSAT score, well above average. Your addendum needs to bulletproof along with your essays. My issues in college were similar. I had three surgeries on the same knee, 4 close relative die, and my mother and aunt both had cancer while I was in school. The addendums really help. Now with all of this being said, I have an MBA, significant work experience, veteran status and some other softs. I also applied very early in the cycle so I wasn't competing against many other students who had already taken their slots at the school. Right now you are. Deadlines are coming up and schools are looking to raise their profiles and rankings. I would do some thing in the next year or two increase you work experience and offer the school something outside of a pretty good LSAT score. Start a business, write a book, or something, it will help.

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:50 am

Based on the information provided by the OP, his chances are not very good. mhernton obviously has additional mitigating soft factors that helped your application. No one had provided any advice and I was simply stating that the low GPA and later application timing will not help. Just as you suggested I stated the OP should consider trying to improve their app and apply next year. It is all valid advice, there always other factors that play into account. But based on the initial information provided the OP does not have a favorable chance even if some can work around similar numbers.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:04 am

Consider that mherton has one of the biggest softs besides URM, military service. Law schools eat that up. Do not go to Cooley. You have a good shot at ending up marginally employed at best, with a lot of debt at worst (I don't know how much your scholarship is). Seattle and Oregon might not be too bad if you plan on working in the region.

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:28 am

Snwboarder78 wrote:Based on the information provided by the OP, his chances are not very good. mhernton obviously has additional mitigating soft factors that helped your application. No one had provided any advice and I was simply stating that the low GPA and later application timing will not help. Just as you suggested I stated the OP should consider trying to improve their app and apply next year. It is all valid advice, there always other factors that play into account. But based on the initial information provided the OP does not have a favorable chance even if some can work around similar numbers.

My point is that LSP is notoriously unpredictable when mitigating factors are involved, whether they be URM status, military service, medical issues or others. The presence of mitigating factors such as medical issues invalidates your statement that the OP will have a tough time getting into a school above the third tier. If someone is seeking advice this late in cycle I believe that it is irresponsible to tell them that they have no hope. The advice you offered smacks of a person that has been reading TLS posts, and has no real experience working with admissions committees, and who believes that this is strictly a numbers game. If your advice is valid you have no real reason to defend your statements. I was merely stating my opinion on what I have seen so many times before on this forum

sayruss11

Postby sayruss11 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:54 am

mhernton wrote:If someone is seeking advice this late in cycle I believe that it is irresponsible to tell them that they have no hope.

not very good chance ≠ no hope
you gave the same advice anyway, just sayin....

doriangray

Postby doriangray » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Wow, is there really no chance of being admitted this late with my numbers and an addendum?

I had hoped a 163 would open the door to schools in the lower portion of the T100. A year off really isn't ideal and I plan on returning to Canada and have a potential local employer through my extended family. Would tier 3/4 schools be my best bet? I would really prefer one of the schools mentioned in my first post (Hofstra, Seattle, Oregon, Albany).

doriangray

Postby doriangray » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Also, how much of a contributing factor is application date? Is there no chance of outcompeting waitlisted candidates with my LSAT score (and hopefully superior PS) as a late applicant?

As is it stands I hope I will be attending a school in September, I just hope its a top 100 one!

am060459

Postby am060459 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:39 pm

SUNY Buffalo
Hofstra
New Mexico

your a consider at these schools.

i would highly recommend you apply early next year. also retaking should be an option. if you can score 165+ and apply early september you can definitely get into better schools with $$$.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:42 pm

Your competitive for bottom Tier 2 and tier three. Any school with a 75th perc. LSAT at 160 and below would be a good school to target. Way too many to mention before you get to Cooley - don't waste your time or money there.

It's not like you don't have a shot. You have a legit reason for the school delay, though a 2.0 is tough to get by. If you're deadset on applying this year, you might as well throw a couple apps in the 90-100 range and then target Tier 3 schools.

I agree with others though, take some time between your law school apps and your GPA. Time can work wonders with a low GPA.

doriangray

Postby doriangray » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks for all your recommendations, I really appreciate them. I should also mention that I am really looking forward to starting in September, and would consider transferring after first year over waiting a year before applying again. I have had far too many setbacks during my UG to take another year off before pursuing Law.

If I can get into Hofstra I would definitely accept that regardless of scholarship offerings as I have family in the area that would reduce my living expenses. Ditto for Seattle.

Thanks again for all your help, if anyone has a similar situation or knows of applicants being accepted after applying so late I would greatly appreciate it!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:54 pm

am060459 wrote:SUNY Buffalo
Hofstra
New Mexico

your a consider at these schools.

Do not go to New Mexico unless you plan on practicing in New Mexico.

Also, do not go to SUNY Buffalo or Hofstra for anything close to sticker. Try not to go there at all. These schools are NY regional. To bad you would be competing with the likes of NYU, Columbia, Fordham, and Cardozo grads, among others, in an already saturated market. Unless you score in the top of your class and have some serious luck and connections, you have an excellent chance of law-temping making $28 an hour with no benefits.

for more, see --LinkRemoved-- which I think has been posted somewhere on this forum before.

doriangray

Postby doriangray » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks for the info.

My situation is slightly different as I plan on returning to Canada to practice. Also, I should add the caveat that I'm not looking for, nor anticipating cracking a top law school in the near future. I feel a 163 on the LSAT accurately represents my ability, I don't think retaking it would register much of a change.

That being said, I would really like to get into a school in the Top 100 for September, and given that I plan on returning to Canada the schools limitations within a region shouldn't apply as much or have as much of an impact on my decision to attend. If I get in, I'm going!

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:19 pm

So, you just need a JD in order to practice law up in Canada? I am not familiar with how schools operate and place in Canada. But unless you are either completely unable to get into LS in Canada or American schools completely dominate the Canadian legal market, wouldn't it make more sense to go to LS in Canada?

The reason I say this is because even though you may have a JD, unless you are summering back home, you won't be developing the type of connections that will lead to a job back in Canadia. All of your connections will be in New Mexico, Seattle, Oregon, or wherever you go to school, and that won't get you to where you want to be.

doriangray

Postby doriangray » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:28 pm

macattaq wrote:So, you just need a JD in order to practice law up in Canada? I am not familiar with how schools operate and place in Canada. But unless you are either completely unable to get into LS in Canada or American schools completely dominate the Canadian legal market, wouldn't it make more sense to go to LS in Canada?

The reason I say this is because even though you may have a JD, unless you are summering back home, you won't be developing the type of connections that will lead to a job back in Canadia. All of your connections will be in New Mexico, Seattle, Oregon, or wherever you go to school, and that won't get you to where you want to be.

Admission to Canadian schoools would be my first choice, unfortunately they place a large emphasis on GPA and mine is the weak point of my application.

I have quite a few connections for career development in Canada, ideally upon returning I should be able to find a job right away through extended family. A JD is the first step to getting there, it's more for personal accomplishment/fallback and ease of living that I would prefer one of the schools I listed above.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:43 pm

I'd definitely heed the advice of looking for the best schools with 75ths that are below 163. Then apply very widely. Your results will be unpredictable, particularly this late in the cycle.

You seem you like you have a clear plan, and, based on your responses here, I suspect that your application packet will show that you are not a 2.0 student.

Good luck!

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:55 pm

where do you ultimately want to live? don't go to school in the states unless you want to live and practice there - an american JD does not automatically qualify you to practice in canada.

doriangray

Postby doriangray » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 am

urban_cdn wrote:where do you ultimately want to live? don't go to school in the states unless you want to live and practice there - an american JD does not automatically qualify you to practice in canada.

I have a friend going through the accreditation process in returning to Canada (they are currently finishing their final exams). It can be done, but its not done automatically.

Also, it turns out I'm in worse shape than I initially thought. LSAC gave me a UGPA of lower than 2.0, which makes attending any school difficult. I even got a call from Cooley saying they would admit me with a 100% scholarship, but would need my undergraduate institution to confirm that I can graduate (my UG school is aware of my health situation and I will be graduating with a low gpa).

As it stands I have completed applications (with a GPA addendum explaining health setback) to:
Albany, Brooklyn, Golden Gate, Hofstra, Maine, Michigan State, Pacific, Rutgers-Newark, St. Thomas-MN, Seattle, Syracuse, Western New England, Willamette.

Do I have a chance at any of these? Or is Cooley the only place that will take me because of my GPA?

doriangray

Postby doriangray » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:26 am

Bump :oops:

Return to “What are my chances?”