Should I apply to some more reaches?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
forty-two

Should I apply to some more reaches?

Postby forty-two » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:42 am

Hello everyone! I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster, and I would really appreciate some advice. I originally thought I applied to a good range of schools, but my cycle has been going better than I had expected, so now I'm not so sure. I have a 166 LSAT and between a 3.6-3.7 GPA and I have OK softs (had some cool internships, but nothing amazing). I've lived in Cali my entire life, and while I love it, I'm open to moving to the east coast. So far I've applied to:

UCLA
USC
BU
Emory
BC
U Washington
UC Davis
Cardozo
USD
Loyola LA

So, do you think it's worth the app fees to apply to a few more reaches? Is it too late at this point? If you think I should, any suggestions on where? Thanks!
Last edited by forty-two on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joshhoward

Re: Should I apply to some more reaches?

Postby joshhoward » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:23 am

i would apply to georgetown.

i would probably apply to cornell and a few other t14s, but only in the same way that people like me apply to Yale...but i guess that depends on how hurting your are for money.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:33 am

Basically agree with kingabraham. Georgetown is definitely worth an app. Virginia probably gave you an invisible fee waiver (I think they blanketed everyone with an LSAT over 160, haha), so it's worth it to apply even though you're a pretty big stretch there. If you're definitely comfortable with UVA, you could try applying ED, as that improves your chances (but binds you to attend, although it's probably the best school your numbers could possibly get you in at anyway). Cornell couldn't hurt, either.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:41 am

With a 3.6x/166, Cornell and GULC are the only T14 schools where you hit the median GPA, so any others would be auto-dings (along with UCLA fwiw). If I were you, I'd apply to GULC PT and Fordham.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:57 am

im_blue wrote:With a 3.6x/166, Cornell and GULC are the only T14 schools where you hit the median GPA, so any others would be auto-dings (along with UCLA fwiw). If I were you, I'd apply to GULC PT and Fordham.

Why would you assume that would mean an auto-ding? It's the median, not the cutoff. Could end up being a WL, which is not the worst case scenario.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:13 am

mhd08 wrote:
im_blue wrote:With a 3.6x/166, Cornell and GULC are the only T14 schools where you hit the median GPA, so any others would be auto-dings (along with UCLA fwiw). If I were you, I'd apply to GULC PT and Fordham.

Why would you assume that would mean an auto-ding? It's the median, not the cutoff. Could end up being a WL, which is not the worst case scenario.

Yes, but applicants with both numbers below median are auto-dings, so the median GPA and median LSAT together act as a cutoff. And obviously a 166 is below every T14's median LSAT. Sure, OP could end up being WLed at some schools, but he won't get in.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:45 am

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll start on the Georgetown and Cornell apps right away. I know they're long shots, but thanks for letting me know that they're not lost causes.
Last edited by forty-two on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:49 am

GW also worthwhile

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:58 am

Apply to any school that gives you a fee waiver. After that apply to as many as you think you can afford. You may get waitlisted at some schools that are a reach. Later you may slip in as students disperse to other schools.

Return to “What are my chances?”