odds of getting in

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nycbanker

odds of getting in

Postby nycbanker » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Taking LSAT for Feb (projected score 159-161) 2.6 uggpa 5 years wall street work experiece (AVP & Assoc. positions at two top banks in asset and wealth management) Wharton exec ed program and NYU certificate program 3.9 gpa. Good LOR's from senior exec's.

Applying to

Indiana Bloomington
UIUC
Bama
Cincy
UConn
Florida
Florida State
Miami
Penn State
Tulane
LSU
MSU

Any throughts? Thank you!

kalvano

Re: odds of getting in

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:54 pm

Wait until you have an LSAT score.

With a GPA like that, you really, really need to be in the high 160's at a minimum to get in to a lot of places.

Assuming you test for real in the PT range, the difference between a 159 and 161 will be huge for you.

nycbanker

Postby nycbanker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:32 am

Anyone else? taking in Feb applying for 2010... Not enough time to get score up past 160-ish. How much of a difference will my softs make? Does the high gpa in the certificate program (6 courses - financial risk management at NYU) do much to offset the uggpa? Thanks!

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:33 am

You need 165+

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:34 am

nycbanker wrote:Anyone else? taking in Feb applying for 2010... Not enough time to get score up past 160-ish. How much of a difference will my softs make? Does the high gpa in the certificate program (6 courses - financial risk management at NYU) do much to offset the uggpa? Thanks!

Also, I don't think your certificate GPA will count for anything. UG only.

NosferatuDracon

Postby NosferatuDracon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:40 am

nycbanker wrote:Anyone else? taking in Feb applying for 2010... Not enough time to get score up past 160-ish. How much of a difference will my softs make? Does the high gpa in the certificate program (6 courses - financial risk management at NYU) do much to offset the uggpa? Thanks!

Depends on the admissions person, but the answer that you're going to get from most people on this board is that nothing but your UGPA and LSAT matter. By and large they are correct with this regard. Sounds like you're pretty successful in business, why the change to law?

If you really want to do law than you need to do it right, especially in this economy...if you don't have enough time to study for the February LSAT than my suggestion is wait another year study for the LSAT and then apply. You're much more likely to be happy with the options presented to you.

Obviously this is advice is only based on the information provided. So, with 5 years work experience what is one more year to wait...then again maybe you have some sort of special situation going on that requires that you apply now...

nycbanker

Postby nycbanker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:54 am

Why law - burnt out, sick of corporate culture, dont want to live in the north-east forever, would like to eventually be able to do my own thing (start a law practice). A lot of contacts in the investment community and very detailed securities knowledge. As far as whats one more year - to waiting until fall 2011 to start feels like a lifetime. I will be turning 29 then, would like to just get on with it.

Are even PSU, LSU Miami a stretch with a 160-161?

How about MSU? Seems like they will take almost anyone...

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:12 am

nycbanker wrote:Why law - burnt out, sick of corporate culture, dont want to live in the north-east forever, would like to eventually be able to do my own thing (start a law practice). A lot of contacts in the investment community and very detailed securities knowledge. As far as whats one more year - to waiting until fall 2011 to start feels like a lifetime. I will be turning 29 then, would like to just get on with it.

going somehwere where they take "almost anyone" is usually not the best idea when it comes to law. I advise buying Richard Montauks book on top law schools and even if not attending one of them just reading a bit about what he has to say about legal culture. Unlike banking and experience afterwards, your law school will likely be responsible for much of your legal career and opportunities, adjusting for some outliers (like people who go to T4 and do really well. Willie Gary for example. This is rare) IF the decision you want to make it to go to a school like that just be informed before taking the dive thats all. Youre losing 3 yrs income plus hard work for a job you may end up not liking either. One year is not much longer if thats what you want to do. Last year this time I felt like you and I am more than happy that I waited a year. Went from expecting T50 to attending T10. Just some food for thought. This process is definitely worth researching and putting your best foot forward.

boardercms

Postby boardercms » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:14 am

nycbanker wrote:Why law - burnt out, sick of corporate culture, dont want to live in the north-east forever, would like to eventually be able to do my own thing (start a law practice). A lot of contacts in the investment community and very detailed securities knowledge. As far as whats one more year - to waiting until fall 2011 to start feels like a lifetime. I will be turning 29 then, would like to just get on with it.

I would pass on MSU unless you're interested in staying in Michigan long term. And if you are, then I would suggest you check out some of the news stories on the extreme depression in that state.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 am

Do you have any work experience? You need to offset that low GPA with time and a higher LSAT. A 160 might make you competitive for some low-end tier two and many tier 3 schools since you're LSAT would be higher than their 75th percentile, but it would only be marginal. It's a crapshoot this time with an increase in the applications. The ONY schools you are going to be competitive with are schools where your LSAT is above their 75th percentile.

To get into the schools you're targeting you need a 165+. Your best best is to apply to Tier 3 schools since your LSAT range is low, GPA is low, and you're VERY late in the game.

nycbanker

Postby nycbanker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:49 am

work experience - 5 years on wall street top tier banks in asset & wealth management, associate and avp titles... a 160-161 (which around what I am currently scoring) puts me at or above 75th percentile for LSU, PSU Miami... Also, as mentioned above good grades in post undergrad program at NYU. Not interested in going to a tier 3 school was planning on applying to MSU because I think it will be T2 in short order...

NosferatuDracon

Postby NosferatuDracon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:58 am

I can understand this. Here's the deal...your UGPA and LSAT score wont prevent you from apply anyplace. LSAC doesn't block schools based on your numbers. Just be aware of the current legal climate with regards to deciding to go 6 figures in debt for law school, and possibly be prepared to apply for next year after taking more time to study and get your LSAT up.

I understand your desire to want to go to law school, and for that reason you should make sure it's a decision you don't later regret in life. I'm again not saying you will...there are plenty of people who are happy going to T3 schools they're looking for something different in a lot of cases than the BigLaw or bust people. As long as you know what you want and what options are available to you and all that. Than you're more than equipped to make the decision.

Another point to realize is that Schools out side the top schools are very regional in nature so your prospects of employment outside of the region where the law school is based will be drastically reduced, not impossible just more difficult. Now if you're going to set up you're own practice than that's a totally different story.

If you want to know your chances at a school...look here most people will tell you it's pretty accurate. http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=11

Also a great resource is http://schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/ you can see where people with similar numbers to you have applied and their success.

Return to “What are my chances?”