Should I even apply to law school?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vhinrich

Should I even apply to law school?

Postby vhinrich » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:55 am

Here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 2.80
Major: Biology

I did horrible in science courses so my overall GPA suffered. I didn't take any law-related classes. My question is, should I even apply to law school? I don't have any extra-curricular activities relating to law either.

What can I do at this point (except take LSAT) that can help me get into law school?

Thank you.

One more thing, I got convicted of DWI last year. Will that be a big hurdle to overcome for me when applying to law school? I realize now that it was a very stupid thing to do but the past is past and I can't change it.

mizzoutigers88

Re: Should I even apply to law school?

Postby mizzoutigers88 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:04 am

Based on your post, it's all up to your LSAT. If you get 170+ you should be fine. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:06 am

Do you even want to go to law school?

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:20 am

Yea... do not bomb the LSAT. If you do bomb the lsat Tier three/fours all you can probably get unless ur a URM (black/hispanic/indian) with amazing soft factors IMO. Asians don't ccut it anymore, which is wrong in all kinds of ways.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:22 am

URM?

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:24 am

under-represented minority

mizzoutigers88

Postby mizzoutigers88 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:26 am

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:under-represented minority

I think the question was whether op was urm or not. Probably not, since they didn't disclose so.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:30 am

vhinrich wrote:What can I do at this point (except take LSAT) that can help me get into law school?

Do really, really well on the LSAT.

Seriously, that's the only thing that matters. There's a guy on here who had a science major and 2.8 GPA and got into Northwestern, but that's largely due to his 176 LSAT score.

Study the LSAT. Study it until you hate it. Study it like you need it to live. If you can get in the 170s you still have a chance of getting into a top law school.

Good luck.

vhinrich

Postby vhinrich » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:33 am

mizzoutigers88 wrote:

I think the question was whether op was urm or not. Probably not, since they didn't disclose so.

I am Asian Indian so I don't know if that helps me or not. I don't think Asian Indians are under represented but I could be wrong.

vhinrich

Postby vhinrich » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:34 am

vanwinkle wrote:
vhinrich wrote:What can I do at this point (except take LSAT) that can help me get into law school?

Do really, really well on the LSAT.

Seriously, that's the only thing that matters. There's a guy on here who had a science major and 2.8 GPA and got into Northwestern, but that's largely due to his 176 LSAT score.

Study the LSAT. Study it until you hate it. Study it like you need it to live. If you can get in the 170s you still have a chance of getting into a top law school.

Good luck.

Any good books or methods you know of for scoring high on LSATs?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:39 am

vhinrich wrote:Any good books or methods you know of for scoring high on LSATs?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6

That is a link to the "LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum". It contains a vast amount of resources on how to study for the LSAT. Read it, ask questions there, you will get all the help you possibly need. They'll know better in that forum what to tell you than I would, since I just paid $1k for a prep course and took it to improve. Unless you want that as your recommendation (which I would recommend if you can blow that much cash right now) you're better off going to that forum and reading what advice is available there.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:43 am

vhinrich wrote:
mizzoutigers88 wrote:

I am Asian Indian so I don't know if that helps me or not. I don't think Asian Indians are under represented but I could be wrong.

Nope. It is limited to blacks, Native Americans, Asians, and Hispanics. For you, then, its going to depend solely on how high you can score on the LSAT. You will certainly get in somewhere, but T100 may be a long shot. Your undergrad institution may look more favorably on you, particularly if you are also a resident of that same state. Also, if there is an in-state institution, you may have better luck there, but again, it'll prob be outside T100. But then, if you hit 170+, you'll prob see a few surprises below at T50 and below.

vhinrich

Postby vhinrich » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:51 am

macattaq wrote:
vhinrich wrote:
mizzoutigers88 wrote:

Nope. It is limited to blacks, Native Americans, Asians, and Hispanics. For you, then, its going to depend solely on how high you can score on the LSAT. You will certainly get in somewhere, but T100 may be a long shot. Your undergrad institution may look more favorably on you, particularly if you are also a resident of that same state. Also, if there is an in-state institution, you may have better luck there, but again, it'll prob be outside T100. But then, if you hit 170+, you'll prob see a few surprises below at T50 and below.

So I'm guessing that third tier and fourth tier schools are pretty much waste of money? J.D. is only valuable if its from top tier school?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:00 am

vhinrich wrote:So I'm guessing that third tier and fourth tier schools are pretty much waste of money? J.D. is only valuable if its from top tier school?

If you're in it for the money, then yes. JDs are only valuable from top schools, and not just the "top tier" (T1 or top 50) but generally the T10 (top ten) or even HYS (Harvard, Yale, and Stanford), possibly.

With the economic mess we're in right now it is extremely difficult for people from any school to find truly high-paying stable work when they graduate anymore. The point of getting a JD should not be for economic value, because most law schools' degrees don't have a value that makes them worth the tuition; it should be because of the kind of work you can do when you graduate, even though that work may be low-paying or with long hours.

I enjoy law school, but I don't expect to do financially great things when I graduate. That stuff doesn't happen like it used to anymore.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:11 am

vanwinkle wrote:
vhinrich wrote:So I'm guessing that third tier and fourth tier schools are pretty much waste of money? J.D. is only valuable if its from top tier school?

If you're in it for the money, then yes. JDs are only valuable from top schools, and not just the "top tier" (T1 or top 50) but generally the T10 (top ten) or even HYS (Harvard, Yale, and Stanford), possibly.

With the economic mess we're in right now it is extremely difficult for people from any school to find truly high-paying stable work when they graduate anymore. The point of getting a JD should not be for economic value, because most law schools' degrees don't have a value that makes them worth the tuition; it should be because of the kind of work you can do when you graduate, even though that work may be low-paying or with long hours.

I enjoy law school, but I don't expect to do financially great things when I graduate. That stuff doesn't happen like it used to anymore.

This. It depends on what you want, and if you are realistic about what you hope to do. I was actually in a similar boat, OP, and I'm perfectly fine knowing that I won't ever be President, but that I will have a positive impact in my community.

No1ustad

Postby No1ustad » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:16 am

I personally know someone in ur boat, exactly, even the nationality! cept they majored in chem, they applied this cycle and have gotten a 50% ride from a T25 school scoring 170+. if ur fine with a T50, or T100, i say take the lsat and apply next cycle.

Return to “What are my chances?”