new york law school? chinese?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ojayy

new york law school? chinese?

Postby ojayy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi there. I'm a 24 years old Chinese from shanghai. My Dec Lsat is 151. Under-graduate average score is 82.5, major was English. Post-graduate GPA is a bit higher (3.2), with degree in Master of Art. I've won best speaker awards in our national english debate tournament organized by IDEA; I've represented China to attend international debate tournaments and have won multitudes of other english speaking contests.

I've always wanted to go to law school but my decision to apply was recently made since my boyfriend has found a job and will pay for my tuition. I know i have terrible terrible lsat score, i only had 2 weeks since my bf's notice. But I'm getting old and I really dun want to waste another year waiting and separated with my bf.

I'm applying for unis in CA and NY, and my list of schools are as follows:
Target: UC Hastings, University of San Francisco
Reach: Southwestern University, University of Pacific
Safety: NY law school, City University of NY, Golden Gate University, University of La Verne, California Western School.

Since I've never been to the US and I have little first-hand info i could get from friends and classmates. Can people on tls please kindly tell me how genuinely good/bad these schools i've picked are? Are my safety schools not worth going to at all?? esp the two from NY.
Thank you thank you!

ojayy

Re: new york law school? chinese?

Postby ojayy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:40 pm

i'm waiting online here...is there no advice at all....? :cry:

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:42 pm

ojayy wrote:i'm waiting online here...is there no advice at all....? :cry:

To be honest they are all bad schools. The only school on that list that is 'okay' is Hastings, and even then I would not pay full tuition to go there because the UCs have drastically increased tuition and the SF market is over-saturated. You probably won't get a decent paying job out of any of those schools.
Last edited by postitnotes on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Well, your LSAT is below the bottom 25% at every school (although very close at Southwestern). Also, your given your LSAT score, your GPA is a much less reliable indicator. Honestly, I do not believe that your safety schools are even worth attending ... not only are they are waste of time, but they are a waste of money and are not terribly well respected in the legal community.

Can you re-sit for the LSAT in Feb?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:47 pm

postitnotes wrote:

To be honest they are all bad schools. The only school on that list that is 'okay' is Hastings, and even then I would not pay full tuition to go there because the UCs have drastically increased tuition and the SF market is over-saturated.

And she has no shot at UC Hastings anyway. A 151/~2.85? She needs at least a 165 or so on the LSAT to have any shot at all there with such a low GPA. (Yes, Chinese schools have harsher GPAs, but adcomms do not care.)

The others are harder to talk about because they're ranked so low they rarely get any attention paid to their score ranges. But a 151/2.85 is really bad. Retake the LSAT until you have a score in the 160s.

ojayy

Postby ojayy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:47 pm

oh boy.....they ARE really bad....i just didn't know. There's no lsat test in Feb here in China:(

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:50 pm

postitnotes wrote:

To be honest they are all bad schools. The only school on that list that is 'okay' is Hastings, and even then I would not pay full tuition to go there because the UCs have drastically increased tuition and the SF market is over-saturated. You probably won't get a decent paying job out of any of those schools.

Yes, but OP doesn't have a prayer at Hastings without a 160 given other considerations ... I agree ... I wouldn't pay full tuition to attend Hastings given recent tuition hikes!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:52 pm

ojayy wrote:oh boy.....they ARE really bad....i just didn't know. There's no lsat test in Feb here in China:(

It may even be worth considering waiting a year. Don't rush into law school. Again, the only school where you have a shot of being admitted, IMO, is Southwestern.

The other CA that schools (except for McGeorge) should be banned!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:54 pm

Did your bf find a job in China or the U.S.? Either way, he will have to make more than $100,000 USD to be able to pay for your $50,000 to $60,000 in tuition, books, rent, and food. International students are not eligible for student loans.

ojayy

Postby ojayy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:57 pm

im_blue wrote:Did your bf find a job in China or the U.S.? Either way, he will have to make more than $100,000 USD to be able to pay for your $50,000 to $60,000 in tuition, books, rent, and food. International students are not eligible for student loans.

in CA San Jose. about $90,000 USD...

ojayy

Postby ojayy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:00 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
ojayy wrote:oh boy.....they ARE really bad....i just didn't know. There's no lsat test in Feb here in China:(

It may even be worth considering waiting a year. Don't rush into law school. Again, the only school where you have a shot of being admitted, IMO, is Southwestern.

Alright..I see that a lot of TLS suggest retake. in that case I should just give birth to a baby this year and study for LSAT...and go attend law school with nothing holding me back..
btw..i've always wondered, if I go to law school next year, is it a bad career for a female Chinese to practice law in the US? i read that the law field is white male dominated

ojayy

Postby ojayy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:03 pm

ojayy wrote:
im_blue wrote:Did your bf find a job in China or the U.S.? Either way, he will have to make more than $100,000 USD to be able to pay for your $50,000 to $60,000 in tuition, books, rent, and food. International students are not eligible for student loans.

I dunno yet....i guessed....he told me his job offers pays from $90,000 to $130,000...i picked the lowest to predict the worst..my family can pay too though.. tuition wouldnt be the biggest problem. My GPA is not low in China, I'm among the top 15%. but few students have over 90 scores in our tests, esp art students...

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:04 pm

ojayy wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

Alright..I see that a lot of TLS suggest retake. in that case I should just give birth to a baby this year and study for LSAT...and go attend law school with nothing holding me back..
btw..i've always wondered, if I go to law school next year, is it a bad career for a female Chinese to practice law in the US? i read that the law field is white male dominated

Hmm, I have to retake. Well, I guess I might as well get pregnant in the mean time and study more? What does this have to do with anything? I am scoring low myself, and you should realize the importance of bringing up your score and not trying to plan out your life like you can control every detail. I honestly would wait with having a baby until after law school is over with if you are serious....

ojayy

Postby ojayy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:09 pm

[/quote]
Hmm, I have to retake. Well, I guess I might as well get pregnant in the mean time and study more? What does this have to do with anything? I am scoring low myself, and you should realize the importance of bringing up your score and not trying to plan out your life like you can control every detail. I honestly would wait with having a baby until after law school is over with if you are serious....[/quote]
of course it does.. woman considers when is the best time to give birth to babies. when i graduate from law school i would be 29. who wants to hire me then if i have a baby plan to carry out? isnt it logical to plan your life as opposed to just let it be?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:12 pm

ojayy wrote:of course it does.. woman considers when is the best time to give birth to babies. when i graduate from law school i would be 29. who wants to hire me then if i have a baby plan to carry out? isnt it logical to plan your life as opposed to just let it be?

I'm sorry but choosing to have a baby while attending law school full time doesn't sound like a great idea to me.... Even if you did law school part time it would be quite difficult. Ask anyone who has a young child and is going to school at the same time. Also, if you big law with a small kid you will never see your kid with those long hours...

ojayy

Postby ojayy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:15 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
ojayy wrote:of course it does.. woman considers when is the best time to give birth to babies. when i graduate from law school i would be 29. who wants to hire me then if i have a baby plan to carry out? isnt it logical to plan your life as opposed to just let it be?

I'm sorry but choosing to have a baby while attending law school full time doesn't sound like a great idea to me.... Even if you did law school part time it would be quite difficult. Ask anyone who has a young child and is going to school at the same time. Also, if you big law with a small kid you will never see your kid with those long hours...

true...baby and law school.. argh..

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:28 pm

postitnotes wrote:

What a bunch of horsehit advice. All bad schools? Sorry, can't buy that. What you get out of many of these schools will be what you put into it. Especially in the NYC market: plenty of graduates of NYLS are hired into BigLaw each year. Yes, you wil have to be in the top 5% of your class, but definitely achievable.

panda

Postby panda » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:30 pm

just fyi, because your GPA is from a chinese institution, it is probably NOT 2.85. LSAC will convert your gpa, via JDCAS, and any other grades you earned abroad to a more representative value comparable to a US gpa. so, if you were in the top 15%, it is likely that it will be a much higher gpa on your application than people in this thread are predicting. i had about an 87.5 avg. and that converted to a 4.0.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:35 pm

shutterbug wrote:
postitnotes wrote:

What a bunch of horsehit advice. All bad schools? Sorry, can't buy that. What you get out of many of these schools will be what you put into it. Especially in the NYC market: plenty of graduates of NYLS are hired into BigLaw each year. Yes, you wil have to be in the top 5% of your class, but definitely achievable.

I kind of think OP is flame, but even if it is, you should never EVER say anything that could be construed as encouraging someone to apply to NYLS.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:44 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
shutterbug wrote:
postitnotes wrote:

I kind of think OP is flame, but even if it is, you should never EVER say anything that could be construed as encouraging someone to apply to NYLS.

I'm hoping so since that whole baby thing made me LOL. :lol:

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:48 pm

shutterbug wrote:
postitnotes wrote:

:roll:

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:58 pm

ojayy wrote:

Yea, no way will be able to afford your tuition.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:00 pm

shutterbug wrote:
postitnotes wrote:

i propose that giving advice this horrible be sufficient for the permaban. what if someone actually followed this and ended up getting life pwned?
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:01 pm

talibkweli wrote:
shutterbug wrote:
postitnotes wrote:

i propose that giving advice this idiotic should alone be sufficient for a permaban.

Seconded.

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:28 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
ojayy wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

Hmm, I have to retake. Well, I guess I might as well get pregnant in the mean time and study more?

Are you a mail order bride? I don't get this "pregnant or law school" thing.

Return to “What are my chances?”