do i tell NYU to wait for my feb LSAT score?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

do i tell NYU to wait for my feb LSAT score?

Postby imisscollege » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:13 am

I applied ED to NYU and I got held/deferred. 168/3.7 at a top 20 ug (3.6 LSDAS but there is a very good reason for the .1 difference explain in addendum)

NYU said asking them to wait for my feb score would put me at a "competitive disadvantage" but the way I see it, I literally have no shot of being accepted as is and I might even get rejected (as opposed to WLed) which would make even a much better score on the LSAT somewhat moot.

Should I tell them to wait until my score comes out to re-evaluate my ap or leave things as is and hope for a WL?

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: do i tell NYU to wait for my feb LSAT score?

Postby existenz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Don't be crazy. Having them hold your app is basically a death knell for your chances unless you come back with a 173+ LSAT in Feb.

Even if they reject you before March 1st, a kick-ass LSAT score would convince them to reopen your case. Just let them review your app, and in the meantime prep well for the LSAT.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: do i tell NYU to wait for my feb LSAT score?

Postby imisscollege » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 pm

hmm too late.

I figure either way I end up on the WL best case. And with a higher LSAT, I have a legitimate shot of getting off it even if I do end up on it late. They are not going to straight up reject a 3.7/170 or 171 who applied ED. I just don't buy it. There was no guarantee that they would reopen my case for my higher LSAT if I had gotten rejected with my 168 and even if they did, it seems that I'd WL at best anyway.

I feel that this is the best way to go and then it's a matter of just getting a high enough score that I am one of the first off the WL. They can already tell how interested I am and I sent a new letter of rec.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: do i tell NYU to wait for my feb LSAT score?

Postby im_blue » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:33 pm

You should definitely tell them to wait for Feb, since you have zero chance with a 3.6/168. You should still have slim chances with a 171-173, but at least it's a chance.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: do i tell NYU to wait for my feb LSAT score?

Postby BenJ » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Tell them to wait. But you're going to need major, major improvement to have a shot, as NYU averages LSATs. (If you improve by seven or more points, though, they'll probably weight the high score exclusively.)

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: do i tell NYU to wait for my feb LSAT score?

Postby scribelaw » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:41 pm

im_blue wrote:You should definitely tell them to wait for Feb, since you have zero chance with a 3.6/168. You should still have slim chances with a 171-173, but at least it's a chance.


You think a 3.6/173 has a slim chance at NYU?

I agree that being super late in the cycle will have a negative affect, but I still think OP has a strong shot at 172 or 173. Better than what OP has now -- which is well below both medians a certain ding.

(FWIW, the bigger problem for OP is that NYU says it averages LSATs if the jump is 6 points or less. So if that policy is true, he/she's need a 175 to avoid the averaging).

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: do i tell NYU to wait for my feb LSAT score?

Postby imisscollege » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:03 pm

scribelaw wrote:
im_blue wrote:You should definitely tell them to wait for Feb, since you have zero chance with a 3.6/168. You should still have slim chances with a 171-173, but at least it's a chance.


You think a 3.6/173 has a slim chance at NYU?

I agree that being super late in the cycle will have a negative affect, but I still think OP has a strong shot at 172 or 173. Better than what OP has now -- which is well below both medians a certain ding.

(FWIW, the bigger problem for OP is that NYU says it averages LSATs if the jump is 6 points or less. So if that policy is true, he/she's need a 175 to avoid the averaging).


ya that's what i figured--certain ding otherwise

i had no idea they averaged lsats scores...that gets me wondering why i was not dinged in the first place. Do we think they actually do average them or do we think they just say that?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests