Was it a mistake to only apply at T14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rayiner

Platinum

Re: Was it a mistake to only apply at T14?

Post by rayiner » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:25 pm

My friend had very similar numbers from a T25 UG and she got into 2 T14s, but off the waitlist. This cycle, and given the Tier4 UG, I'm going to say you're out. You have a good shot at UCLA/Texas/Vandy though, I think. People will say that UG doesn't matter, but I think it does at the margins, especially for high-GPA splitters.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Ayeshabelle wrote:I have no idea why Fordham would be a waste of time, I just kind of do everything he says because he's borderline omniscient about law.

Ideally, I want to practice public interest law in NYC, probably specializing in legal counsel.
Then I would definitely apply to Fordham.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:35 am

rayiner wrote:My friend had very similar numbers from a T25 UG and she got into 2 T14s, but off the waitlist. This cycle, and given the Tier4 UG, I'm going to say you're out. You have a good shot at UCLA/Texas/Vandy though, I think. People will say that UG doesn't matter, but I think it does at the margins, especially for high-GPA splitters.
Have you seen any evidence that high-GPA splitters get a boost from prestigious undergrads like HYPS?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:53 am

awesomepossum wrote:In theory those numbers should get you into a T14.

Here are the 2 caveats.

1) Admissions offices are saying that the number of applicants have gone up like crazy this year. If the number of high quality applicants has gone up proportionately, then those numbers might not be good enough to get in.

2) You never know. Those numbers aren't 'auto-admits' at any T14 schools. Therefore, you will get in only at the whim of admissions offices.

I think it's always a good idea to have safeties unless you're of the idea that you won't go to law school unless you get into a T14.

If I had to guess I would peg your chances at 60/40

I have heard and read the opposite: that the number of applicants has actually decreased on average by school. The ratio of applicants to seats has supposedly decreased. The "number of applications" submitted has supposedly increased, which only means that those who do apply to law school applicants are submitting more applications (casting wider nets) than in the past.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:19 am

PDaddy wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:In theory those numbers should get you into a T14.

Here are the 2 caveats.

1) Admissions offices are saying that the number of applicants have gone up like crazy this year. If the number of high quality applicants has gone up proportionately, then those numbers might not be good enough to get in.

2) You never know. Those numbers aren't 'auto-admits' at any T14 schools. Therefore, you will get in only at the whim of admissions offices.

I think it's always a good idea to have safeties unless you're of the idea that you won't go to law school unless you get into a T14.

If I had to guess I would peg your chances at 60/40

I have heard and read the opposite: that the number of applicants has actually decreased on average by school. The ratio of applicants to seats has supposedly decreased. The "number of applications" submitted has supposedly increased, which only means that those who do apply to law school applicants are submitting more applications (casting wider nets) than in the past.
Unless people are also signing themselves up as two or three persons for each LSAT this is def not true. Most evidence points to increased applicants & applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:09 am

Ayeshabelle wrote:I have a 167/3.83 from a fourth tier public college and applied to only T14 schools, do you think I have a shot, or should I apply to backups asap?
you probably won't be able to get into any of the T14 except michigan, cornell, and georgetown.

realistic reach:
michigan, georgetown

target:
cornell.

you can still have a good cycle. it isn't too late to apply to vandy,texas,ucla,usc. you'll will get into at least 1 of these.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:34 am

najumobi wrote:
Ayeshabelle wrote:I have a 167/3.83 from a fourth tier public college and applied to only T14 schools, do you think I have a shot, or should I apply to backups asap?
you probably won't be able to get into any of the T14 except michigan, cornell, and georgetown.

realistic reach:
michigan, georgetown

target:
cornell.

you can still have a good cycle. it isn't too late to apply to vandy,texas,ucla,usc. you'll will get into at least 1 of these.
I would think Michigan is stretching it for OP, and Duke would be a more realistic reach...

Is there something about Duke that I don't know? Do they prefer prestigious UGs or something? Just wondering because I'm applying next cycle and my LSAT is around OPs.... (fingers crossed for a higher retake though)

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:49 am

kazu wrote:
najumobi wrote: you probably won't be able to get into any of the T14 except michigan, cornell, and georgetown.

realistic reach:
michigan, georgetown

target:
cornell.

I would think Michigan is stretching it for OP, and Duke would be a more realistic reach...

Is there something about Duke that I don't know? Do they prefer prestigious UGs or something? Just wondering because I'm applying next cycle and my LSAT is around OPs.... (fingers crossed for a higher retake though)
naaa...nope nothing special about duke; it's just that michigan picks up a greater percentage of 167s than duke.

heathbar88

New

Post by heathbar88 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:12 pm

So has it been determined if the OP really is URM? If so, unless money is a factor, don't send any more apps (or send BU, BC, Texas, Vandy, Fordham for your own peace of mind). I doubt that you won't be accepted at several T14s, possibly with money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:40 pm

heathbar88 wrote:So has it been determined if the OP really is URM? If so, unless money is a factor, don't send any more apps (or send BU, BC, Texas, Vandy, Fordham for your own peace of mind). I doubt that you won't be accepted at several T14s, possibly with money.
If OP is a URM, then in everywhere but HYS and who knows how those turn out.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Ayeshabelle wrote:I think I'll throw in applications to University of Minnesota and George Mason then, since they sent me fee waivers. I'd rather do Fordham, but my advisor said it would be a waste of time.

Do you think I should also try Fordham?

Are you sure you are a URM? URM is only Black, Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Native American. If you do not fall into one of these categories you are not a URM. If you are one of these groups though there is no need to apply outside of the top 14 (especially if you are Black, if you are you are going to one of Harvard, Yale, or Stanford). If you are not one of these groups you should at least apply to some of Texas/Vandy/USC/UCLA.
I thought URM status applied to Cubans too. My friend is Cuban and he got into American with a 151. But he got in part time and was initially waitlisted, so maybe being Cuban didn't help that much.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:22 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
Ayeshabelle wrote:I think I'll throw in applications to University of Minnesota and George Mason then, since they sent me fee waivers. I'd rather do Fordham, but my advisor said it would be a waste of time.

Do you think I should also try Fordham?

Are you sure you are a URM? URM is only Black, Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Native American. If you do not fall into one of these categories you are not a URM. If you are one of these groups though there is no need to apply outside of the top 14 (especially if you are Black, if you are you are going to one of Harvard, Yale, or Stanford). If you are not one of these groups you should at least apply to some of Texas/Vandy/USC/UCLA.
I thought URM status applied to Cubans too. My friend is Cuban and he got into American with a 151. But he got in part time and was initially waitlisted, so maybe being Cuban didn't help that much.
It does not. Just the four categories listed. Military veterans also get a small boost, maybe as big as the boost for MexAm applicants. And that's it for "reliable" boosts.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:44 pm

If you have fee waivers, apply to some T25 for some free money aka scholarship. Debt is real.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:49 am

rad law wrote:If you have fee waivers, apply to some T25 for some free money aka scholarship. Debt is real.
QFT

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:24 am

Just got an email from UC Berkeley!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been resisting the urge to scream, since it is 4am in NYC.... This is the best day of my life =)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”