What Does It Take To Transfer Into A Top 20-ish?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
monkeyboy

What Does It Take To Transfer Into A Top 20-ish?

Postby monkeyboy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:31 pm

Just curious because an admissions counselor from a school that would be a reach for me pointed out that transferring in after 1L might be an option in case I don't get in this cycle. I am retaking in Feb to improve my chances and I'd obviously rather not have to consider transferring. What does it take to transfer into a school like Notre Dame or Vandy? Is a top 5% ranking pretty much the answer? Does it matter where one attends 1L? Would any Top 100 school be adequate?

gwuorbust

Re: What Does It Take To Transfer Into A Top 20-ish?

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:29 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Just curious because an admissions counselor from a school that would be a reach for me pointed out that transferring in after 1L might be an option in case I don't get in this cycle. I am retaking in Feb to improve my chances and I'd obviously rather not have to consider transferring. What does it take to transfer into a school like Notre Dame or Vandy? Is a top 5% ranking pretty much the answer? Does it matter where one attends 1L? Would any Top 100 school be adequate?

Counting on transferring is like counting on Jim Cramer to pick your stocks. It is just not a good idea to count on it. From what I understand, there is just too much variability that is beyond your control (See: Law Professors).

I would say go to a school that you could see yourself graduating from and then, if you have good grades, transfer out of there.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Well there are several things to consider and think about.

It is very hard to predict how well your going to do in 1L.
90% of students will not be in the top 10%.
Everyone will be trying to get into the top 10%.
The lower ranked the school, the better you'll have to perform to transfer into a top 25.
You shouldn't think of transferring as a guarantee.

No matter what happens, only go to a school you would be happy to attend and graduate from. If you are able to transfer up, good for you.

I say all of this as someone who is trying to transfer this summer. I go to a school in the mid 40's and would love to transfer up if I got the chance.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:56 pm

Your counselor should be fired for giving this type of advice...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:07 am

jetlagz28 wrote:It is very hard to predict how well your going to do in 1L.
The lower ranked the school, the better you'll have to perform to transfer into a top 25.

No matter what happens, only go to a school you would be happy to attend and graduate from. If you are able to transfer up, good for you.

All of the above is true and TCR.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:52 am

vanwinkle wrote:
jetlagz28 wrote:It is very hard to predict how well your going to do in 1L.

All of the above is true and TCR.

Vanwinkle, you always post great stuff. You are probably one of the more helpful contributors on this forum, although there are many. Mistergoft, your avatar is cool. It reminds me of Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy. Thanks to all of you guys. I appreciate the input. Now that I think about it, that does sound like a very unrealistic plan. Way too many variables, as you guys said, and it sounds like a recipe for disappointment.

Well, I have the February test. If I rock it, I'll have a very good shot at my ideal school. If not, I'll go to another school that I will be happy with.

Return to “What are my chances?”