3.3, 161 - where to apply!? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MayBerry

New

3.3, 161 - where to apply!?

Post by MayBerry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:46 am

LSAC GPA: 3.3
Grad GPA: 3.8 (doesn't take me far)
LSAT: 153, 150, 161(Dec)
Non-URM(Asian), Female
4 years work experience

I have to click one of those Disclosure buttons on each of my applications. Though it was a long time ago, I worry that it doesn't help my chances. (university disciplinary issue)

what are good safeties? And how far is too far to reach up the rankings?

I'm paranoid that I won't get in anywhere. When it comes to safety schools, I just want to know I can 1) get in, and 2) not be screwed by going there.

I'm OK with being in DC/NYC/LA&Cali/Chicago/Maybe Texas/The Carolinas/Virginia. I'm being open about it somewhat. I will make the most of rooting myself in whatever region I go to school. I'm interested in Corporate/Business law and just want to get into a reputable mid sized firm after graduation.

So far, I've applied to:
Howard
New York Law (waiver)
Catholic U (waiver)
Depaul (waiver)
IIT-Kent (waiver)
Loyola-LA
Suffolk (waiver)
American U.

suggestions? advice?

holydonkey

Silver

Re: 3.3, 161 - where to apply!?

Post by holydonkey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:51 am

MayBerry wrote:LSAC GPA: 3.3
Non-URM(Asian), Female
4 years work experience

I have to click one of those Disclosure buttons on each of my applications. Though it was a long time ago, I worry that it doesn't help my chances. (university disciplinary issue)

I'm paranoid that I won't get in anywhere. When it comes to safety schools, I just want to know I can 1) get in, and 2) not be screwed by going there.

I'm OK with being in DC/NYC/LA&Cali/Chicago/Maybe Texas/The Carolinas/Virginia. I'm being open about it somewhat. I will make the most of rooting myself in whatever region I go to school. I'm interested in Corporate/Business law and just want to get into a reputable mid sized firm after graduation.

So far, I've applied to:
Howard
New York Law (waiver)
Catholic U (waiver)
Depaul (waiver)
IIT-Kent (waiver)
Loyola-LA
Suffolk (waiver)
American U.

suggestions? advice?
It's a reach, but I'd throw one at George Mason. Also, why not include Pepperdine?

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:58 am

Non-URM(Asian), Female
4 years work experience

So far, I've applied to:
Howard
New York Law (waiver)
Catholic U (waiver)
Depaul (waiver)
IIT-Kent (waiver)
Loyola-LA
Suffolk (waiver)
American U.

suggestions? advice?
Eh, I mean, I'd say you had a pretty good chance in those schools.

I doubt the university disciplinary issue would discount you in any big way. If it was an isolated incident, then it really isn't so much a problem. I think they look to make sure that you didn't make the same dumb mistakes over and over again, or if you were just a silly problem-child who was always causing trouble. One incident doesn't make you that way, and if it was long ago, it's pretty obvious you've learned from it.

If you got into American U, that would be wonderful, I think. You'd be in the area where they make law, and in a top tier school, I believe. People would respect that, definitely. It's not extremely high, but it's known enough to get you places. Catholic University I've personally never heard of. Be wary of schools that are not highly ranked (or even accredited, as I found out from one of the schools I'm applying for) and seem to be more "local" law schools than anything, because you'll probably end up stuck somewhere law-wise.

MayBerry

New

Post by MayBerry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:07 am

Catholic has an OK reputation around DC. I live in the Mid Atlantic region now. With a waiver, it was easier on me to apply.

I will probably apply to Pepperdine - worth a shot, just in case.

Do I need more safety schools? I am very paranoid about it.

I don't feel really excited about a lot of schools - at least not the ones I have a chance of getting into. Maybe it is just the stress of the process getting to me.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:21 am

Non-URM(Asian), Female
4 years work experience

So far, I've applied to:
Howard
New York Law (waiver)
Catholic U (waiver)
Depaul (waiver)
IIT-Kent (waiver)
Loyola-LA
Suffolk (waiver)
American U.

suggestions? advice?
1) you can definitely get into some of these schools.
2) I have your numbers (161, 3.3) and will have 5yrs work experience by matriculation (although I am URM; AA)
3) I also had to click the disclosure button.

We are in comparable situations. I chose to reach into the T14 as well with applications since so many of my fees were waived. If you feel comfortable sharing what your disclosure is with me via PM, I can help calm your fears. I'm betting it's not as big of a deal as you think it is.

The only school I've heard back from so far is DePaul (i submitted all my apps around Dec 10th) and they gave me 50% scholly. If you are willing to settle where you go to school, law schools with strong local presence like DePaul and Chicago-Kent (I live in chicago) can be a good choice especially if you are able to start building a network of contacts to get you in the door at firms.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Try Case Western, Wake Forest and Uconn. Case and Uconn PT will give you a decent sized scholarship.

You might also want to consider Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio St and Indiana. The midwest will give you the most value in terms of your numbers and the school rank. Schools in the midwest also the most likely to take into account the fact that you are asian.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”