3.63/161 - What are my chances, feel free to be brutal Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zeth006

Silver

3.63/161 - What are my chances, feel free to be brutal

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Just like in the title! 3.63/161, took the LSAT in December, so I'm probably competing for remaining seats in the next round of admissions.

Schools I'm looking at realistically:

Hastings
Pepperdine
USD
Loyola
UC Davis
Santa Clara
American
U of Oregon
Boston College

The reason I ask is that the calculators seem to show that I'm 50/50 with many of these schools so I'd like to see what you guys have to say. No need to sugarcoat your answers.

nematoad

Bronze

Re: 3.63/161 - What are my chances, feel free to be brutal

Post by nematoad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:50 pm

zeth006 wrote:Just like in the title! 3.63/161, took the LSAT in December, so I'm probably competing for the next round of admissions.

Schools I'm looking at realistically, but want to get a second opinion aside from the law school calculators.

Hastings- IN/WL
Pepperdine-IN
USD-IN
Loyola-IN
UC Davis-IN
Santa Clara- IN
American- IN
U of Oregon- IN
Boston College- OUT

The reason I ask is that the calculators seem to show that I'm 50/50 with many of these schools so I'd like to see what you guys have to say. No need to sugarcoat your answers.

mattymatt

New

Post by mattymatt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:54 pm

We have very similar numbers (your LSAT is a bit higher) and the predictors all gave me the same thing, which was very stressful. While I'm not actually guessing on your chances, I'd say they are good. Those are solid numbers for those schools. Stay the course, and god speed.

matrix637

New

Post by matrix637 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:58 pm

zeth006 wrote:Just like in the title! 3.63/161, took the LSAT in December, so I'm probably competing for remaining seats in the next round of admissions.

Schools I'm looking at realistically:

Hastings
Pepperdine (IN)
USD (IN)
Loyola (IN w $$)
UC Davis (hopefully In!)
Santa Clara (IN w $$)
American
U of Oregon
Boston College

I am not sure about the rest but I have the same LSAT score and a bit lower GPA and Ive got into Loyola and Santa Clara with money so far. Good luck and I hope you get into Davis, Hastings and BC.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Not sure about your chances at any of the schools, but LSP had me at a 50/50 shot for Michigan and I got in, if that helps you feel better about what that 50/50 means.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:09 pm

beesknees wrote:Not sure about your chances at any of the schools, but LSP had me at a 50/50 shot for Michigan and I got in, if that helps you feel better about what that 50/50 means.

Nice to know!

But still...55% CAN be unnerving! :cry:

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:11 pm

nematoad wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Just like in the title! 3.63/161, took the LSAT in December, so I'm probably competing for the next round of admissions.

Schools I'm looking at realistically, but want to get a second opinion aside from the law school calculators.

Hastings- IN/WL
Pepperdine-IN
USD-IN
Loyola-IN
UC Davis-IN
Santa Clara- IN
American- IN
U of Oregon- IN
Boston College- OUT
Now that's a comforting thought! Hastings indeed might be a toughie to claw my way in, but looks like BC was wishful thinking after all! :mrgreen:

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:18 pm

zeth006 wrote:
nematoad wrote:

Hastings- IN/WL
Pepperdine-IN
USD-IN
Loyola-IN
UC Davis-IN
Santa Clara- IN
American- IN
U of Oregon- IN
Boston College- OUT
Now that's a comforting thought! Hastings indeed might be a toughie to claw my way in, but looks like BC was wishful thinking after all! :mrgreen:
that doesnt mean you shouldnt apply though, thats only my numbers-based prediction. if i were you i'd send in a few more apps to reach schools. your numbers are a little better than mine 162/3.4 and applied to a fair amount of schools that are out of reach. you just never really know, ya know?

look into gw and fordham PT if your at all interested in those schools.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:22 pm

btw this is all assuming you are non-URM. if you are-- that changes things.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:25 pm

nematoad wrote:btw this is all assuming you are non-URM. if you are-- that changes things.

Hah, that would certainly paint a completely new picture!

I'll look into the other 2 schools listed above in a jiffy.

scolinos

New

Post by scolinos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:31 pm

I applied to all of the same schools except Boston, but I also included Irvine (beyond reach). we have the same Lsat, but my GPA is a 3.14, terrible. I included an addendum to all of my schools explaining that during my first semester of college I earned a poor 2.47 GPA due to immaturity, while during all the rest I was well above 3, I hope that helps me. I've also been working as a law clerk for some time now.
I'm praying I get into Davis or Irvine. I know Hastings probably won't have anything to do with me, but I applied anyways.
I'll let you know how I do in the app process.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:35 pm

scolinos wrote:I applied to all of the same schools except Boston, but I also included Irvine (beyond reach). we have the same Lsat, but my GPA is a 3.14, terrible. I included an addendum to all of my schools explaining that during my first semester of college I earned a poor 2.47 GPA due to immaturity, while during all the rest I was well above 3, I hope that helps me. I've also been working as a law clerk for some time now.
I'm praying I get into Davis or Irvine. I know Hastings probably won't have anything to do with me, but I applied anyways.
I'll let you know how I do in the app process.
Thanks, man! I'll be favoriting this thread and sending you a PM around end of February once I get a few decisions!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:54 pm

nematoad wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
nematoad wrote:

Hastings- IN/WL
Pepperdine-IN
USD-IN
Loyola-IN
UC Davis-IN
Santa Clara- IN
American- IN
U of Oregon- IN
Boston College- OUT

that doesnt mean you shouldnt apply though, thats only my numbers-based prediction. if i were you i'd send in a few more apps to reach schools. your numbers are a little better than mine 162/3.4 and applied to a fair amount of schools that are out of reach. you just never really know, ya know?

look into gw and fordham PT if your at all interested in those schools.

BTW I know this isn't directly related to the thread topic, but I just wanted to know, what are the benefits of applying to any school part-time? Doesn't that mean I'll have to spend more years in law school finishing up coursework? I know going in PT would increase my chances of getting in by a LOT, but is there any chance I can switch to FT later on in school if/when my grades are good?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:00 pm

zeth006 wrote:

BTW I know this isn't directly related to the thread topic, but I just wanted to know, what are the benefits of applying to any school part-time? Doesn't that mean I'll have to spend more years in law school finishing up coursework? I know going in PT would increase my chances of getting in by a LOT, but is there any chance I can switch to FT later on in school if/when my grades are good?
you can generally transfer to full time after a year ( i think tehre may be a gpa limit of 3.0, not sure though) and take summer courses after your 1L to catch up and graduate in 3 years. sometimes if youre lucky you can even get into FT during orientation.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:42 pm

nematoad wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

you can generally transfer to full time after a year ( i think tehre may be a gpa limit of 3.0, not sure though) and take summer courses after your 1L to catch up and graduate in 3 years. sometimes if youre lucky you can even get into FT during orientation.

If that's the case, I guess I can shell out another $80 or more if it means I can get into a school that's normally outta my numbers FT. I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Errr, Fordham requires a 2-page max PS. The shorter version of my normal PS is 2.5 pages. Probably going to skip out on that since I plan on practicing in CA anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”