What are the chances for international students?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gf4939

What are the chances for international students?

Postby gf4939 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:31 am

Advantage or disadvantage?
Compared to URM?

Luis Gomez

Re: What are the chances for international students?

Postby Luis Gomez » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:47 am

I would say disadvantage unless you get both.

gf4939

Postby gf4939 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:25 am

Luis Gomez wrote:I would say disadvantage unless you get both.

Actually I don't really know what URM exactly means.... Any race other than white?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:10 am

gf4939 wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:I would say disadvantage unless you get both.

Actually I don't really know what URM exactly means.... Any race other than white?

Most races other than white and Asian.

African American
Native American
Latino (Mexican, Puerto Rico, Cuban, etc)

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:18 am

URM status doesn't work the same way unless you're American... You might get a boost if you can tell a compelling story about your background (e.g. refugee, extremely poor etc), but just being from a foreign country won't give you a boost.

Also saw this mentioned in another thread, and it's often forgotten unless you did undergrad in the US, in order to actually enroll in LS in the states you will have to show proof that you are able to finance your education and stay, for at least the first year. Unless you have some options of being able to do so it might not be worth the money and hassle of applying.

spece212

Postby spece212 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:38 am

Depends if your international experience brings something unique to the table. Certain law schools look for increasing diversity and if you have a unique experience due to your geography/nationality it would count as a plus.

spece212

Postby spece212 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:07 am

Disciplines like engineering etc impart portable education and hence interest/enrollment of international students is high. Portability of legal skills on the other hand is mostly not straightforward. Therefore the international students who apply for JD in US are those who intend to stay back and practice or want to practice law globally.

To draw the inference based on low acceptance for internationals may not be accurate. %age acceptance of international students would probably be a more accurate statistic. Another important issue is LSAT scores which are usually lower for international students due to disparity in availability of prep material. Chicago based law schools give primacy to LSAT scores and that may also contribute to lower international enrollment/acceptance.

gf4939

Postby gf4939 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:10 am

Thank you for the replies!
Unfortunately I am Asian. And my major is LAW, not engineering. No special experience either.
The tuition....my family can hardly afford three years.
Anyway, I got a 174 in LSAT, and my GPA is among the top few in my Department, and the University is among the top few in Asia.
Then would International status be a negative factor?

spece212

Postby spece212 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:19 am

I hope you have already applied because with your numbers you stand a very good chance in T-20. You just need to dig deep in your past and come up with a good application package!! Applying in Jan would be slightly late for T-20 but it is still worth a honest try.

Your international status will not be a negative factor for sure. If you present yourself right it could actually be a very strong point.
Good Luck!!

gf4939

Postby gf4939 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:56 am

spece212 wrote:I hope you have already applied because with your numbers you stand a very good chance in T-20. You just need to dig deep in your past and come up with a good application package!! Applying in Jan would be slightly late for T-20 but it is still worth a honest try.

Your international status will not be a negative factor for sure. If you present yourself right it could actually be a very strong point.
Good Luck!!

Thanks. But I'm still a sophomore....So no need to hurry yet :)
Anyway, I want to set my goals at t14 or even higher.....

spece212

Postby spece212 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:50 pm

with the right application, T-5 should be within reach. Make sure you apply early.

Return to “What are my chances?”