What are my odds?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Nova

Re: What are my odds?

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Impossible to tell your chances without an LSAT score.....

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:46 pm

selmankaldiroglu wrote:
top30man wrote:
selmankaldiroglu wrote:LSAT: 168
GPA: 3.7 Overall 3.9 Major Gpa
Double major in mathematics and economics with an honor's in economics.
International student and looking for a scholarship.

Chances at NYU, Columbia specifically, but T14 in general?

Cornell. Probably at sticker. Slim chance at mich. no real chance at the rest.

Is it cuz of the low LSAT or me bein international and wanting money?
What if I am not asking for any money?

LSAT.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Yossarian79 wrote:3.4 GPA (graduated ten years ago), and just rocked a 167 on the LSAT. I know this is less relevant, but it's worth mentioning that my softs are great -- tons of work experience at a really high level.

So, does anyone think I have even an outside shot at a T14? And if not, at least a T20? Should also I add I'm totally geared towards public interest law.

no t14. gw prob sticker... retake?

edit: jus saw the date on that was a while ago, my bad.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:14 pm

I'll keep this really brief since I'm re-taking in Oct.

3.49, 167..... USC?

I assume I'll improve but what are my odds as they currently stand?

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:09 pm

anteater1 wrote:I'll keep this really brief since I'm re-taking in Oct.

3.49, 167..... USC?

Just going off numbers, like a 33% chance of admission. With a median LSAT + below median GPA, youll probably be waitlisted first.

A 168 improves your chance to a coin flip. Good luck on the retake!

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Nova wrote:
anteater1 wrote:I'll keep this really brief since I'm re-taking in Oct.

3.49, 167..... USC?

Just going off numbers, like a 33% chance of admission. With a median LSAT + below median GPA, youll probably be waitlisted first.

A 168 improves your chance to a coin flip. Good luck on the retake!

wow that low huh? I was hoping to hear it's a coinflip as is... Nonetheless I'm gonna kill Oct so I don't have to worry about it! 8)

selmankaldiroglu

Postby selmankaldiroglu » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:33 am

What is "at sticker?"

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:29 pm

selmankaldiroglu wrote:What is "at sticker?"

Paying full tuition. No scholarship.

porkbunsrule

Postby porkbunsrule » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:21 am

First post, first question. Be gentle :D

I am only interested in law schools with strong curriculum in healthcare law.

GPA (B.S): 3.5 (Fordham)
GPA (Ph.D.): 3.8 (Stanford)
Internship Year (required for doctorate): Harvard Medical School
Postdoctoral Fellowship: Tufts University
LSAT: not yet taken - and I plan to only take it once.

I am not interested in the ranking of the law school - US News or otherwise. I am interested in the breadth and strength of the healthcare law curriculum, preferably in an international law/global context.

Right now, the target is BU (Boston U). Thoughts? Good chance I will apply to the combined JD/MPH.

May apply to Harvard, but the health law curriculum is as weak as a banana tree in a category 5 hurricane.

Location, a non-issue. (Thanks 8) Been helicopter mother-ing this site, and man, you folks are intense - in a fabulous, neurotic sort of way. Woohoo!)

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:35 am

With a 3.5 UGPA, you are out at H.

Your chances completely depend on your LSAT score. With a 3.5, you would probably get in BU/BC/F with a 166/167+.

Although you dont care about rankings, they do roughly correlate with employment stats. Check out LST for employment stats. --LinkRemoved--

Check out lawschoolnumbers.com to see what you likely need on the LSAT to get in to particular schools.

Good luck on the LSAT!

porkbunsrule

Postby porkbunsrule » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:49 am

Nova wrote:With a 3.5 UGPA, you are out at H.

Your chances completely depend on your LSAT score. With a 3.5, you would probably get in BU/BC/F with a 166/167+.

Although you dont care about rankings, they do roughly correlate with employment stats. Check out LST for employment stats. --LinkRemoved--

Check out lawschoolnumbers.com to see what you likely need on the LSAT to get in to particular schools.

Good luck on the LSAT!

While rankings correlate with employment stats, the problem with many of these data sets is the absence of salary-to-debt ratio. It is likely that Harvard graduates and others from top-tiered programs will get the more lucrative positions. But they will also likely be the same folks in much higher debt. They will also likely be the same folks who live in bigger (i.e., more expensive) cities. I don't know about you, but I want to spend my salary on other things other than debt. Thanks again!

a-quad

Postby a-quad » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:20 am

LSDAS: 3.88
LSAT: highest on PT is 166, taking in Oct. Hoping to break 170, but let's say I only boost up to 168
Softs: pretty strong. Honors program, lots of clubs and internships and research experience (in Bible, Political Economy, and Islamic Law, so lots of variety there). Very challenging courses (including graduate ones) I'm gonna have strong LOR (one from the dean of a graduate school), and a strong PS (imho)
Con: in my last semester my GPA dropped from a 3.91 to a 3.87
non-URM

I'm stuck in the NY/NJ area, and my main purpose is to graduate with as little debt as possible. (Less than $100k) Columbia and NYU are my reach schools, but I don't think I'd even go to them even if I got in- scholarships are generally tied to academic performance, and what are the chances I'm gonna be able to pull a B+ average on a forced curve?
I'm gonna be applying to pretty much every school in the area, but what are my scholarship odds from Cardozo and Fordham? Preferably scholarships that aren't tied to academic performance?

Postby 20130312 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:29 am

a-quad wrote:LSDAS: 3.88
LSAT: highest on PT is 166, taking in Oct. Hoping to break 170, but let's say I only boost up to 168
Softs: pretty strong. Honors program, lots of clubs and internships and research experience (in Bible, Political Economy, and Islamic Law, so lots of variety there). Very challenging courses (including graduate ones) I'm gonna have strong LOR (one from the dean of a graduate school), and a strong PS (imho)
Con: in my last semester my GPA dropped from a 3.91 to a 3.87
non-URM

I'm stuck in the NY/NJ area, and my main purpose is to graduate with as little debt as possible. (Less than $100k) Columbia and NYU are my reach schools, but I don't think I'd even go to them even if I got in- scholarships are generally tied to academic performance, and what are the chances I'm gonna be able to pull a B+ average on a forced curve?
I'm gonna be applying to pretty much every school in the area, but what are my scholarship odds from Cardozo and Fordham? Preferably scholarships that aren't tied to academic performance?

No one can know this answer until you take the LSAT. Once you have that score, then we can give a pretty good guess based on previous cycles.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:59 pm

a-quad wrote:
Columbia and NYU are my reach schools, but I don't think I'd even go to them even if I got in- scholarships are generally tied to academic performance, and what are the chances I'm gonna be able to pull a B+ average on a forced curve?

Like IGF said, we cant predict your cycle based on hypotheticals. The difference between 16* and 170 is extream.

Scholarships in the first tier are generally NOT tied to academic performance in law school. Good standing basically means don't flunk out. Here is a list of stipulations, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=189178 Cardozo's stipulation is only top 80%, and if you are in at the very bottom of your class at Cardozo, you should probably drop out anyway.

If you score above median at Cardozo or Fordham, they will likely give you a pretty big scholarship if you are admitted

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:48 pm

I have a 166, then 170 (retake) and a 3.85 from a large public university. At least 1 strong LOR, great personal statement (imho), and softs: - involvement & leadership in several clubs
- internship with Congressman's office
- internship with state Attorney General's office
- interned at small law firm
- internship with major consulting firm
- some community service
- part time language tutor
- summer study abroad in Morocco
- year-long study abroad in Egypt
- honors thesis with field research in D.C. and Egypt during Arab Spring
cons:
I'm not a URM and don't have full-time WE

What are my chances at admission to HYS?
Do I have any chances of getting in to CCN or better yet, getting scholarship money there?

On a different note, would you pay sticker or close to sticker for HYSCCN over some money at the lower t-14? And would you ED to NU (for the $150k) with my numbers? I want to work in NYC or DC but won't' ED to NYU or Columbia because I can't afford to pay sticker.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:41 am

You're in at N and everywhere on down. Anecdotally I want to say you'll get $$ at P and lower. You have a shot at Chicago but no money. No chance at HYS.
People are going to disagree with me but I'd pay sticker for anything T10. It depends how much loans will stress you out, in my opinion, because if you're in big law you'll have enough money to pay your loans, and if you're in PI and responsible enough to go to a school with good LRAP, you won't have to pay your loans. That's how I think of it, anyway.
Of course there are other routes some people are forced into but I've studied the employment statistics oh the T14 and it's not THAT bleak.

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 am

francesfarmer wrote:You're in at N and everywhere on down. Anecdotally I want to say you'll get $$ at P and lower. You have a shot at Chicago but no money. No chance at HYS.
People are going to disagree with me but I'd pay sticker for anything T10. It depends how much loans will stress you out, in my opinion, because if you're in big law you'll have enough money to pay your loans, and if you're in PI and responsible enough to go to a school with good LRAP, you won't have to pay your loans. That's how I think of it, anyway.
Of course there are other routes some people are forced into but I've studied the employment statistics oh the T14 and it's not THAT bleak.

Hmmm interesting. Do you have any statistics or articles on T14 employment that makes you think it's not all bleak? I am interested in PI work, so ideally I would get into my dream schools of NYU or Penn. With my numbers and softs, do I have a chance at a full scholarship like the RTK or something similar?

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:26 am

lsacqueen wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:You're in at N and everywhere on down. Anecdotally I want to say you'll get $$ at P and lower. You have a shot at Chicago but no money. No chance at HYS.

Hmmm interesting. Do you have any statistics or articles on T14 employment that makes you think it's not all bleak? I am interested in PI work, so ideally I would get into my dream schools of NYU or Penn. With my numbers and softs, do I have a chance at a full scholarship like the RTK or something similar?

I know somebody who got RTK and she had work experience slightly less impressive than yours but her family history was deeply embroiled with actual history (if that makes any sense), which in my mind is obviously why she got it.

Employment stats are all over the internet. For example: --LinkRemoved--

Highest Self

Postby Highest Self » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:34 am

I could use some advice. I'm registered for the October LSAT, and I am not ready. I'm nearing completion of a very demanding prep course which has been difficult, and that's an understatement, to manage while working full-time. Basically I have kept up with the homework, practice tests, and test reviews, but I haven't had time to devote to going over my previous mistakes and learning from those. I had a double major in undergrad, cumulative gpa 3.83. I worked full-time plus a couple of part-time gigs to pay my way through college. I'm a diversity candidate with a long history of community service, 8 years experience in big law recruiting, 16 years total work experience, and some great life experience. I want to go to a top 14 school. Here's the issue. My prep coach says taking the October exam is an important part of my training even if I choose to continue studying and retake in December. My options, since the deadline has passed to change dates, are to either withdraw, or take it and cancel my score. I'm testing in the 150's which isn't indicative of my ability since I am functioning on a few hours of sleep after a long workday when I take the practice tests. So each time I take a practice test, I'm zoned out. I hate to defy the prep coach, who is the expert, but i belive my circumstances defy his general rule. So his advice shoudn't apply to me. What should I do? Withdraw? If so, do schools see that? Or should i take it and cancel? Or should i take it and keep the crappy score on record to show how much improvement preparation can make? Either way I am definitely going to be ready by December since the 18-25 hrs I spend in class weekly can be shifted to review and reflection. What should I do?
Last edited by Highest Self on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:46 am

Don't take the test. There is extremely marginal benefit to actually taking the test if you're scoring so low. Postpone brother.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Defy the prep coach and withdraw. He's giving you absolutely horrible advice. What company is he with? No one should ever urge you to take the test if your preparation is incomplete.

Also, nothing about the test will appear on your record if you withdraw by the deadline.

Phlash58

Postby Phlash58 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:59 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Defy the prep coach and withdraw. He's giving you absolutely horrible advice. What company is he with? No one should ever urge you to take the test if your preparation is incomplete.

Also, nothing about the test will appear on your record if you withdraw by the deadline.

This. Not only would I withdraw from the test, I would consider a new coach.

Tuco Salamanca

Postby Tuco Salamanca » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:11 pm

porkbunsrule wrote:
Nova wrote:With a 3.5 UGPA, you are out at H.

Good luck on the LSAT!

While rankings correlate with employment stats, the problem with many of these data sets is the absence of salary-to-debt ratio. It is likely that Harvard graduates and others from top-tiered programs will get the more lucrative positions. But they will also likely be the same folks in much higher debt. They will also likely be the same folks who live in bigger (i.e., more expensive) cities. I don't know about you, but I want to spend my salary on other things other than debt. Thanks again!

You really need to do some research. Healthcare law rankings will not help you get a job in that field. Schools such as BU are just as expensive as Harvard with much worse outcomes. Unless you get a large scholarship you will need to have a large salary or LRAP to pay off your debt. Your uGPA isn't great so you'll have to kill the LSAT to get any worthwhile scholarships, and at that point you'll probably be better off maximizing your employment prospects than minimizing your debt.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:52 pm

porkbunsrule wrote:May apply to Harvard, but the health law curriculum is as weak as a banana tree in a category 5 hurricane.

LOL

GoldenGriffin

Postby GoldenGriffin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:00 pm

LSAT: 171
CumGPA: 3.88
No ED and not URM
*College GPA is a 3.95, weighted down by classes taken in high school (worth an addendum?)

Chances at YHS?
Rest of top ten?

Thanks!

Return to “What are my chances?”