What are my odds?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
justicefishy

Re: What are my odds?

Postby justicefishy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:53 am

juju96 wrote:3.42 gpa and 175 lsat (i got 168 on my first take). Decent softs and 1 year work experience

chances at t14?

Very much! You're good at at least one of MVP probably (if not more) and all the lowers except B and Duke. I'd say with your 175 NYU and even CC are within reach.

Dead Parrot

Postby Dead Parrot » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:23 pm

GPA-3.2 (graduated May 2011)

LSAT-156,160(I was pting consistently around 165-166 with the highest being a 168)

Is a second retake worth it if I can get into the high 160's-low 170's? Or would the multiple retakes kill any chances at a top 14 school?

Right now I'm in at Penn State and Kentucky with good scholarships and waitlisted at Temple.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:28 pm

Dead Parrot wrote:LSAT-156,160(I was pting consistently around 165-166 with the highest being a 168)

Retake and don't look back.

Yossarian79

Postby Yossarian79 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:18 pm

3.4 GPA (graduated ten years ago), and just rocked a 167 on the LSAT. I know this is less relevant, but it's worth mentioning that my softs are great -- tons of work experience at a really high level.

So, does anyone think I have even an outside shot at a T14? And if not, at least a T20? Should also I add I'm totally geared towards public interest law.

moxy

Postby moxy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 am

Yossarian79 wrote:3.4 GPA (graduated ten years ago), and just rocked a 167 on the LSAT. I know this is less relevant, but it's worth mentioning that my softs are great -- tons of work experience at a really high level.

So, does anyone think I have even an outside shot at a T14? And if not, at least a T20? Should also I add I'm totally geared towards public interest law.

Maybe at Northwestern. Not sure about other T14's.

gngt18

Postby gngt18 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:36 pm

I'm currently attending a top liberal arts college in the Greater Boston area. My school is notorious for its grade deflation policy, so graduate schools in the Boston/Cambridge area are generally aware of this policy.

I will be joining the Teach For America corps after I graduate this year, with an expected GPA of 3.58. If I want to apply to HYS, Columbia and NYU, what is the minimum LSAT score I need? 178+? (Though it may differ for Columbia and/or NYU.) And is TFA considered a strong soft?

Feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

jeff_lebowski

Postby jeff_lebowski » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:43 am

sam62188 wrote:Hi everyone, I am at a crossroads and I am not sure whether I should take the LSAT for a third time. I've been out of school for almost 2 years now and haven't been able to get a job.

My stats:
UGPA: 2.44, LSAC GPA: 2.1
LSAT: Canceled June 2010, 155 Dec 2010
Weak softs: A little work exp as an undergrad and 6 months working unpaid at a failed start up post grad.

Would my efforts be better spent trying the GMAT or the GRE at this point. Thanks for the input.

might be time to consider another career path

masticore99

Postby masticore99 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Have you guys used the LSAC law school search tool based on GPA and LSAT? I throw in 3.6 and 170, and it says the chances at UVA are like 15%? That doesn't seem right?

LegallyClueless

Postby LegallyClueless » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:49 am

Hi all! I am at the very beginning of the process of starting the LSAT prep. I have some basic questions about my chances for various law schools, and I thought this is the thread I should ask my questions:

1. I have an AA, a BA (obtained upon completion of my AA and transferring to a 4-year undergrad school), and an MBA. For GPA purposes, are my targeted law schools interested in my GPA cumulatively including AA and MBA or just BA or just the last degree I obtained (i.e., MBA)? Or perhaps this varies from one school to another? Obtained my MBA with a 4.0 GPA but my BA (completed 7 years ago) was around 3.5 I think... not too sure, have to check that... my AA GPA was 3.95 or something along those lines...

2. What are "softs"?! Do they refer to work experiences, etc.? I have what I think a law school should value highly for work experience--great accomplishments & growth from very bottom to management-level in a legal-related industry... (corporate, mortgage, insurance, etc. fraud investigations) as well as a couple of other industries in the past 10 years...

3. So naturally (to me it's natural) the last question is this: What kind of score will increase my chances of getting into a T14? I think if they go with my BA GPA alone (and not AA and/or MBA or at least combined GPA), then my chances of getting into a T14 are slim no matter what I score on LSAT, no?

I used the LSAC law school search tool based on GPA & LSAT as mentioned by "masticore99". Very discouraging I must say when I put in a 3.5 GPA, no matter what the score is... :(

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any tips and pointers.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:13 pm

LegallyClueless wrote:Hi all! I am at the very beginning of the process of starting the LSAT prep. I have some basic questions about my chances for various law schools, and I thought this is the thread I should ask my questions:

1. I have an AA, a BA (obtained upon completion of my AA and transferring to a 4-year undergrad school), and an MBA. For GPA purposes, are my targeted law schools interested in my GPA cumulatively including AA and MBA or just BA or just the last degree I obtained (i.e., MBA)? Or perhaps this varies from one school to another? Obtained my MBA with a 4.0 GPA but my BA (completed 7 years ago) was around 3.5 I think... not too sure, have to check that... my AA GPA was 3.95 or something along those lines...

They'll use all of your grades up until your first bachelors degree. If you got a 3.5 in your BA and a 3.95 in your AA, your LSAC GPA should be higher than 3.5, perhaps quite a bit higher.

LegallyClueless wrote:2. What are "softs"?! Do they refer to work experiences, etc.? I have what I think a law school should value highly for work experience--great accomplishments & growth from very bottom to management-level in a legal-related industry... (corporate, mortgage, insurance, etc. fraud investigations) as well as a couple of other industries in the past 10 years...

Yes, those are softs, but they matter far less than your GPA and LSAT.

LegallyClueless wrote:3. So naturally (to me it's natural) the last question is this: What kind of score will increase my chances of getting into a T14? I think if they go with my BA GPA alone (and not AA and/or MBA or at least combined GPA), then my chances of getting into a T14 are slim no matter what I score on LSAT, no?

Not slim at all, at least in the sense that lots of people with GPAs under 3.6 get into T-14 schools every year. We don't know your LSAC GPA but if we conservatively assume a 3.5 then you probably need a 170. Regardless of your GPA, 170 tends to be a magic number for most people to break into the T-14. If it turns out LSAC's calculation pushes your GPA up quite a bit then you might manage a T-14 with something less than a 170, but the best advice is to shoot for a 180 and see what happens.

LegallyClueless wrote:I used the LSAC law school search tool based on GPA & LSAT as mentioned by "masticore99". Very discouraging I must say when I put in a 3.5 GPA, no matter what the score is...

To look at different possibilities based off of GPA and LSAT combinations use lawschoolnumbers.com and lawschoolpredictor.com.

LegallyClueless

Postby LegallyClueless » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Thank you so much for the thorough explanation and the tips, Tiago Splitter.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Fri May 25, 2012 10:22 am

3.5 / 164 (retake from 156)

I want to be in Boston / NYC / DC out of law school. Where should realistically expect to be admitted? Good softs & WE but I know it doesn't really matter.

UNC chances from out of state? W&M? Maybe PT at Fordham / GWU / GULC?

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:14 am

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:3.5 / 164 (retake from 156)

I want to be in Boston / NYC / DC out of law school. Where should realistically expect to be admitted? Good softs & WE but I know it doesn't really matter.

UNC chances from out of state? W&M? Maybe PT at Fordham / GWU / GULC?

Chappil Hill should be no problem. Slim chance at W+M and Fordham, no chance at GWU GULC imo.

jgloster

Postby jgloster » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:52 pm

AA Male
160 LSAT
2.7 GPA

1 year work experience

Want in at Georgia State

diepset4

Postby diepset4 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Graduate student at St. John's University in NYC with a MA in Government & Politics. My undergrad overall GPA was a 3.1. I will finish my MA with a 3.7. With all of that, a 160 LSAT, strong LORs, URM, fluency in 2 other languages, internships with law firms and prominent congressmen, what schools in Texas, Cali, or other southern or southwestern states should I consider?

mebeyer

Postby mebeyer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Do law schools look at the ranking of the undergraduate school? I go to a top 20 college and I'm wondering if law schools will compare my gpa equal to another student from a lesser ranked college. Thank you.

TheGreatWhiteHorse

Postby TheGreatWhiteHorse » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:58 am

mebeyer wrote:Do law schools look at the ranking of the undergraduate school? I go to a top 20 college and I'm wondering if law schools will compare my gpa equal to another student from a lesser ranked college. Thank you.

No.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:56 pm

diepset4 wrote:Graduate student at St. John's University in NYC with a MA in Government & Politics. My undergrad overall GPA was a 3.1. I will finish my MA with a 3.7. With all of that, a 160 LSAT, strong LORs, URM, fluency in 2 other languages, internships with law firms and prominent congressmen, what schools in Texas, Cali, or other southern or southwestern states should I consider?

not gonna have a shot at most Cali schools, because they're pretty gpa-focused. Maybe USD, and then SMU in Texas, but you may need a retake even for those.

Asst. Principal Bone

Postby Asst. Principal Bone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:58 pm

You're NOT going to Law School. You'll be in Bluffington the REST OF YOUR LIFE YOUNG MAN. Yodoelahheewhooooooo...

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:21 am

3.88/165, non-URM. Chances at UVA ED?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:16 pm

AllDangle wrote:3.88/165, non-URM. Chances at UVA ED?

as we said in your thread, very very likely with ED.

selmankaldiroglu

Postby selmankaldiroglu » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:22 am

LSAT: 168
GPA: 3.7 Overall 3.9 Major Gpa
Double major in mathematics and economics with an honor's in economics.
International student and looking for a scholarship.

Chances at NYU, Columbia specifically, but T14 in general?

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:06 am

selmankaldiroglu wrote:LSAT: 168

Cornell. Probably at sticker. Slim chance at mich. no real chance at the rest.

selmankaldiroglu

Postby selmankaldiroglu » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:54 pm

top30man wrote:
selmankaldiroglu wrote:LSAT: 168

Cornell. Probably at sticker. Slim chance at mich. no real chance at the rest.

Is it cuz of the low LSAT or me bein international and wanting money?
What if I am not asking for any money?

Nimrodel

Postby Nimrodel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:17 pm

OK, here goes.

First a little background: I was a slow starter (for personal reasons) in college. I spent 8 years at my local J.C. dicking around in the music department - no clue what my cumulative GPA is there (3.x - it has been a while). Also, I had to put myself through school (not even a co-sign on a loan from my parents), so I am getting my B.A. by working full-time at a private (top 50) liberal arts college and using my tuition benefit to complete my degree (NOT in music) at half-time enrollment.

My current GPA at this school is 3.67, but I'm working toward bringing it up to a 3.83 by the time I graduate (yes, this is possible). I'm starting to prepare for the LSAT this summer (I'll be taking it in February - I am not graduating til 2014) so I have plenty of time to get my score up. My first practice test got me a 169 (no studying).

I'm only interested in T14 schools.

Chances?

Return to “What are my chances?”