What are my odds?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Onthebrink

Re: What are my odds?

Postby Onthebrink » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Hey guys,

Happily updating. Still blanketing the t-14. Still have good softs, a minority but not a URM but some cool fellowships and academic programs as well as a decent resume. New LSAT Score 171. GPA 3.99. Here is hoping CCN. Maybe Stanford.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:06 pm

GPA: 3.72
LSAT: 167

BIS: Women/Gender Studies and Political Science
BFA: Painting

Softs: Interned with a non-profit, teaching civics at Perryville Prison in Arizona, worked with state legislators in drafting policy proposals regarding prison sentencing/standards, among various other community outreach activities to lower recidivism rates. Interned with Penny Kotterman - Candidate for Superintendent of Public Instruction - doing campaign work. A number of other smaller softs. i.e. working for campaigns regarding LGBT issues, community events, etc.

Background: I'm a first generation college grad (on either side of the family). Gay. Raised by a single mother of three, as my father was in and out of prison, and ultimately shot and killed by the Phoenix police when I was 11. Worked a full time job through undergrad (Starbucks, 6yrs), and managed to graduate without any loans. *thankful* Not sure how relevant any of this is to your predictions.

Interested in:
Berkeley
UPenn
Cornell (dream school)
UCLA (?)
Boston University

I honestly feel like T14 or it's a no-go, but I've heard positive things about BU. 167 seems to put me just out of reach of some really fantastic schools. Thoughts on these and my current stats? Due to my unbelievable bombing of the RC section this past Dec., I'm retaking with hopes of hitting at least 170. Thanks! :)

To the max

Postby To the max » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:48 pm

New to this site. Would appreciate feedback from any veterans out there

I am a 19 yr old junior at ASU Honors College with a major in biochem and a minor in math. Sta dec. 2011 LSAT. Got a 170. Currently sitting on a 3.85 GPA. Have worked in a lab on campus and expect to be published this year

Applying for early admissions!

Reach school. Harvard
Dream school. Stanford

Will also apply to Cornell, UCLA, USC, and UC Davis

Thoughts? Thanks

89vision

Postby 89vision » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:31 am

159, 3.53 (3.44 LSAC).

Lewis and Clark (addendum stating I received disability services in school, but not on the LSAT)
Pitt
Cincy
PSU
Syracuse
MSU
Temple
Oregon
Louisville

Please, and Thank you.
Last edited by 89vision on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

To the max

Postby To the max » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi. Posted earlier and received no responses. Would appreciate some feedback as to whether or not I am being realistic

19 year old junior. Major biochemistry. Minor mathematics. 3.87 GPA. 170 LSAT

Reach school. Harvard

Dream school. Stanford

USC
UC Davis
UCLA
Cornell

Looking at UVA and Duke

Will have very good recs. Little work experience, but expect to be published for scientific work in lab this year.

Chances? Other schools I should consider?

Thanks

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:02 am

To the max wrote:Hi. Posted earlier and received no responses. Would appreciate some feedback as to whether or not I am being realistic

19 year old junior. Major biochemistry. Minor mathematics. 3.87 GPA. 170 LSAT

Reach school. Harvard

Dream school. Stanford

USC
UC Davis
UCLA
Cornell

Looking at UVA and Duke

Will have very good recs. Little work experience, but expect to be published for scientific work in lab this year.

Chances? Other schools I should consider?

Thanks

Is it safe to assume you have another year before applying? If so you should do everything possible to get that GPA over 3.9. Makes a big difference at Harvard and Stanford. And as much as you'll hate to hear it retaking the LSAT isn't a bad idea either. If you really want to go to YHS you have the opportunity to improve the two pieces of your app that matter far more than any other. Unfortunately right now both are just a tad short for the T3, and perhaps all of the T6. Big money from MVP can be had though. You're in fantastic shape everywhere else.

To the max

Postby To the max » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:19 am

Thanks for the feedback.

You are correct, one more year before I apply. And I am working diligently to get the GPA up. Expect that will happen:)

Do you think going right from undergrad will impair chances? Am arranging class schedule so that I can perhaps get a little more work/volunteer experience onto my app

Much as I hate the thought maybe I should consider LSAT retake. Interestingly I scored a 169 on first proctored practice test and scored about i point up or down on all other practice tests throughout the study course. Really wonder how much I can improve...
Last edited by To the max on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:24 am

To the max wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

You are correct, one more year before I apply. And I am working diligently to get the GPA up. Expect that will happen:)

Do you think going right from undergrad will impair chances? Am arranging class schedule so that I can perhaps get a little more work/volunteer experience onto my app

You'll find out quickly that your GPA and LSAT score are all that really matter. Don't do anything else that will hurt either of those two things and you'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong--work and volunteer experience can be fulfilling things that make you a better person, but don't expect them to help you get into law school.

To the max

Postby To the max » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:30 am

Good to get down to brass tacks. Won't waste any time on the "extras". Believe I have already been sold a bill of goods by entering the Honors College at my university. Lots of extra work including an honors thesis, and it doesn't appear that it will have any impact on grad school invites. :(

Thanks again

kertz

Postby kertz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Last edited by kertz on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatWhiteHorse

Postby TheGreatWhiteHorse » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:40 pm

kertz wrote:166 (Oct), 172 (Dec). Not applying till next year. Couple years of WE. 3.88 GPA. How much do you guys think the 166 will weigh me down? Do I have a real shot at HYS? How about CCN?

You'll find that a majority of law schools don't average the LSATs anymore. Most do not even consider LSAT scores beyond your highest/most recent. There is literally nothing to lose by re-taking (except the hours of your life taking that damned, abysmal thing).

Don't sweat the 166.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:14 am

Can anyone give me some feedback? I'd appreciate it.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:18 am

89vision wrote:Can anyone give me some feedback? I'd appreciate it.

In at pitt after god knows how long.

WL at temple

In at Penn State

Those are the only three that I know enough about to comment.

dex8425

Postby dex8425 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 pm

This spring I will be an early (20 yr old) graduate from a private liberal arts university. I took the october 2011 lsat and got a 154 after getting high 150's on practice tests, so I took the December test and got a 155....rats. What are some tier one schools where I could have a chance for a scholarship with my 3.62 gpa?
How much would a master's degree help my application? I'm also applying to a few graduate schools just in case I can get a significant scholarship. (my Gre scores were in the 78th and 60th percentiles, for the reading and math sections, respectively)
Should I seriously consider earning my master's degree in history before I attend law school?

TheGreatWhiteHorse

Postby TheGreatWhiteHorse » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:01 am

dex8425 wrote:This spring I will be an early (20 yr old) graduate from a private liberal arts university. I took the october 2011 lsat and got a 154 after getting high 150's on practice tests, so I took the December test and got a 155....rats. What are some tier one schools where I could have a chance for a scholarship with my 3.62 gpa?
How much would a master's degree help my application? I'm also applying to a few graduate schools just in case I can get a significant scholarship. (my Gre scores were in the 78th and 60th percentiles, for the reading and math sections, respectively)
Should I seriously consider earning my master's degree in history before I attend law school?

NO@Master's degree. A master's isn't that alluring to the committee. Your MA will get beat by the guy with 8 years of real-world experience every time. You will see in law school (and admissions counselors will tell you this, as well) that the guy with the master's sits in the same classrooms as the kid with the BA in performance piano. Dont spend more money and time on degrees that a JD will trump, rendering them essentially useless.

If you must have a master's, I can only recommend engineering and/or business. A lot of law schools will let you dual=degree those two. Seriously...I have nothing other than a BA in history and I set between a master's in finance and a PhD in molecular biology. Its all the same in here.

BTW...you might want to ratchet down that T1 expectation with your numbers. Or take the LSAT again and aim for the mid-160s. Honestly.

Philly_Wolverine

Postby Philly_Wolverine » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:56 pm

TheGreatWhiteHorse wrote:
kertz wrote:166 (Oct), 172 (Dec). Not applying till next year. Couple years of WE. 3.88 GPA. How much do you guys think the 166 will weigh me down? Do I have a real shot at HYS? How about CCN?

You'll find that a majority of law schools don't average the LSATs anymore. Most do not even consider LSAT scores beyond your highest/most recent. There is literally nothing to lose by re-taking (except the hours of your life taking that damned, abysmal thing).

Don't sweat the 166.

GWH is absolutely right. Also, I got into Michigan with scores similar to your first try. You should be fine on the LSAT/GPA level.

Jordanlee125

Postby Jordanlee125 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:49 pm

I have a 158 and 3.4. I applied to USD, San Fran U, KU, Seattle, and Denver. Honestly think I have any chance? Denver is by far my #1 choice..

banjo

Postby banjo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Hey guys,

3.76, 176 (dec 11), 164 (almost three years ago). Mediocre softs, no WE, unfinished grad program, applying in september this year (so not this cycle).

So I'm probably out at YHS and I'm not going to get serious money (half tuition or more) in the t14, right? I'm thinking about just EDing at Chicago or Columbia and paying sticker. Which ED would give me the best chance at an acceptance? And would this be a terrible idea? Should I ED somewhere else or maybe just RD? I'd really like to go to either Chicago or Columbia, and I'm worried my mediocre app (esp the grad program thing) will get me a WL at both. Thanks.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm

banjo wrote:Hey guys,

3.76, 176 (dec 11), 164 (almost three years ago). Mediocre softs, no WE, unfinished grad program, applying in september this year (so not this cycle).

So I'm probably out at YHS and I'm not going to get serious money (half tuition or more) in the t14, right? I'm thinking about just EDing at Chicago or Columbia and paying sticker. Which ED would give me the best chance at an acceptance? And would this be a terrible idea? Should I ED somewhere else or maybe just RD? I'd really like to go to either Chicago or Columbia, and I'm worried my mediocre app (esp the grad program thing) will get me a WL at both. Thanks.

You'll definitely get money at Michigan. Maybe Penn too. You're not necessarily out at H with that 176. I would blanket the T14 and see what happens. Maybe ED Chicago or Columbia only if you really want to go there...you'll get in without EDing to both of them.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Your GPA is too low for the big named scholarships, yes. You will probably get the 54k standard scholly from Michigan (if you don't get YP'd). You might get H. Not sure that EDing is worth it, since I think you're in at CCN, but ED would be a lock if you want to commit.

banjo

Postby banjo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Thanks guys. If H is still a possibility, I'll take a chance on RD.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:29 pm

I'd apply RD. You have a decent chance at a half tuition or more scholly from within CCN, and can do even better than that in the lower T-14. Harvard is also still in play. At the very least you should manage 40-50K from Columbia or Chicago, which you'd forego by applying ED.

TheGreatWhiteHorse

Postby TheGreatWhiteHorse » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:29 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
To the max wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

You'll find out quickly that your GPA and LSAT score are all that really matter. Don't do anything else that will hurt either of those two things and you'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong--work and volunteer experience can be fulfilling things that make you a better person, but don't expect them to help you get into law school.

THIS.

Dont listen to anyone on this forum or any other that tells you that anything other than UGPA and LSAT matters. And more LSAT than anything else. I went to a few miserable art schools before settling in as an undergrad, and my UGPA was abysmal. My LSAT was quite good, though, and I was accepted at all of my top 4 choices.

LSAT. UGPA. Say it with me. They are all that matter. Forget the volunteering and the other stuff. It's fluff and no one cares. Take the opportunity you have to ENJOY YOUR FREE TIME. Once you hit 1L, its gone.

juju96

Postby juju96 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:27 am

3.42 gpa and 175 lsat (i got 168 on my first take). Decent softs and 1 year work experience

chances at t14?

sam62188

Postby sam62188 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi everyone, I am at a crossroads and I am not sure whether I should take the LSAT for a third time. I've been out of school for almost 2 years now and haven't been able to get a job.

My stats:
UGPA: 2.44, LSAC GPA: 2.1
LSAT: Canceled June 2010, 155 Dec 2010
Weak softs: A little work exp as an undergrad and 6 months working unpaid at a failed start up post grad.

Would my efforts be better spent trying the GMAT or the GRE at this point. Thanks for the input.

Return to “What are my chances?”