What are my odds?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10363
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: What are my odds?

Postby TTH » Wed May 06, 2009 7:25 pm

I graduated a year ago with a 2.5 GPA from a top 40 school. I know my chances are slim to none to get into a decent school unless I pull off a killer LSAT score. I havent taken the LSATs yet, but ideally, I would like to go to SMU. There, I think I may stand a chance and still enjoy a well-rounded education and graduate with some job prospects.

Can anybody give me a range that i have to hit to expect to be considered a competitive candidate at SMU?


I don't know if you've checked LSN yet, but the 25-75 GPA for SMU is 3.23-3.8. For LSAT, it's 154-163. With your GPA, I imagine you'd want to target for at least at 163. Definitely possible if you study. Good luck!

User avatar
MsMeliss
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:02 am

ETREMELY unique student - What are my chances?

Postby MsMeliss » Thu May 21, 2009 12:09 am

Okay here's my situation in a nutshell: I graduated from high school when I was sixteen, but hadn't dreamed of ever becoming a lawyer. After graduating, I went to a junior college, then University of Phoenix because I worked at least one job the whole time. I worked because I had taken a missions trip to a third world country when I was fourteen and the journey made such an impression on me that I wanted to take more trips of this nature but couldn't afford to do so without making the money myself. I finished my first bachelors degree at nineteen and have worked as a clerk at a law firm since (it's been almost a year). I've travelled to several impoverished countries doing humanitarian and missions work over the past few years and now I'm 20 (but feel and act somewhere around 25 maybe?)

My undergrad degree is in business, and at some point during its completion I realized my profound interest in the law and public service. I'm half Mexican (and female), my UGPA was 3.63, and my LSAT score was a 166.

I'd greatly appreciate any input! Thanks!

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: What are my odds?

Postby mallard » Thu May 21, 2009 12:11 am

Weird but cool story, MsMeliss. You will probably have a solid chance at schools in the top ten. Write a good personal statement about your experiences. Don't write things like "feel and act somewhere around twenty-five" - just let your insights and stories speak for themselves.

User avatar
danielfgator
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Re: ETREMELY unique student - What are my chances?

Postby danielfgator » Sat May 30, 2009 6:29 pm

MsMeliss wrote:Okay here's my situation in a nutshell: I graduated from high school when I was sixteen, but hadn't dreamed of ever becoming a lawyer. After graduating, I went to a junior college, then University of Phoenix because I worked at least one job the whole time. I worked because I had taken a missions trip to a third world country when I was fourteen and the journey made such an impression on me that I wanted to take more trips of this nature but couldn't afford to do so without making the money myself. I finished my first bachelors degree at nineteen and have worked as a clerk at a law firm since (it's been almost a year). I've travelled to several impoverished countries doing humanitarian and missions work over the past few years and now I'm 20 (but feel and act somewhere around 25 maybe?)

My undergrad degree is in business, and at some point during its completion I realized my profound interest in the law and public service. I'm half Mexican (and female), my UGPA was 3.63, and my LSAT score was a 166.

I'd greatly appreciate any input! Thanks!


You have a good LSAT/GPA combo, with your URM status you should be getting into several T14s. (If that's what you want of course)

ksrosey1187
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby ksrosey1187 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:29 pm

GPA: 3.76
LSAT: 160
Strong work experience, extracurriculars, foreign study and language fluency, good recommendations and personal statement.
Virginia resident.

I know UVA is a stretch....but how much? Other options?

User avatar
HJO
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby HJO » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:22 pm

ksrosey1187 wrote:GPA: 3.76
LSAT: 160
Strong work experience, extracurriculars, foreign study and language fluency, good recommendations and personal statement.
Virginia resident.

I know UVA is a stretch....but how much? Other options?



Because you are instate in VA you probably need at least a 166 for a shot, (not for auto-admit, but at least to make it worth the app money). I would put you current chances at 0 for UVA with those stats.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: What are my odds?

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:01 pm

..

firenze
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby firenze » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:25 pm

3.6 gpa from top 10 university in 3 years with excellent recommendations
two MPhils each with research dissertations from top french universities (one in political science the other in philosophy)
lsat 178

the gpa is somewhat lower than averages but given the high lsats and the graduate research work in france what are chances at HLS and Yale? I think I should have fine enough chances at Columbia and Chicago but unsure how much the graduate work will compensate for the 3.6 gpa

I've heard that usally MAs are not much help but unlike an MA (which usually is just more coursework) the MPhils are research degrees (first stage of doctoral programs) and involve serious research work. But perhaps the same underlying principle (that graduate work is ignored) applies... Though given that Yale is less numbers-centric and is itself something of a graduate program (not pure professional school but training ground of jurists and legal academics) I'm thinking that original research work might be looked on kindly.

tarheel
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby tarheel » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a 3.7 and 171 LSAT from UNC. When I apply, I'll have one year experience working as a research assistant. Extracurriculars and recommendations are pretty normal, I'd imagine. What would you say my chances are for the t-14?
Thanks in advance!

lry23
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:46 am

What are my odds?

Postby lry23 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:56 am

I didn't do very well as an undergrad- 2.83 gpa but I graduated 6 years ago and have 5.5 years of solid work experience in the pharmaceutical industry and just received a masters in public health where I had a 3.75 gpa. I want to pursue a career in either healthcare law or public interest law. I am planning on taking the LSATs in Sept and am shooting for somewhere between a 160-163. Do I have a shot at schools like Temple, Drexel, Villanova and Rutgets Camden? (Also, I am a Philly resident)

CarliRose
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby CarliRose » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:02 am

I had a similar GPA and scored a 161.
I was accepted to Drexel with $10k, Villanova, and recently Temple PT.

Good luck!!!

Haregubx
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby Haregubx » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Hello,

Rising senior with a cumulative 3.2 GPA and LSAT diagnostic of a 164... which I would hope will improve because I know I need to compensate for my relatively low GPA. However, my major GPA is a 3.8. I am also an AA male born and raised in Africa. First, will there be any leniency because of the variation in the 2 GPAs? Second, what are my chances at top 14 law schools, mainly, G. Town, Chicago and UVA?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

shella
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby shella » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:10 am

Haregubx wrote:Hello,

Rising senior with a cumulative 3.2 GPA and LSAT diagnostic of a 164... which I would hope will improve because I know I need to compensate for my relatively low GPA. However, my major GPA is a 3.8. I am also an AA male born and raised in Africa. First, will there be any leniency because of the variation in the 2 GPAs? Second, what are my chances at top 14 law schools, mainly, G. Town, Chicago and UVA?

Thanks in advance for any advice.


Well a diagnostic score of 164 is really good. Was that the first time you looked at the test? My friend that scored a 164 his first time ended up with a 175. I personally improved my score by 17 point. You should also consider that the average increase is 8-10 points. With that in mind, I think getting above a 170 will be really easy for you. Generally schools don't break down your gpa as it doesn't help them with rankings. Considering that you are a urm and that you'll probably end up with at least a 170, I think you will get into at least one of those schools.

utb
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:16 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby utb » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:24 pm

Hey guys,

I am a white male and I completed my undergrad at a t20 school. I had to pay my way and, as a result, my GPA suffered:

GPA: 3.23
LSAT: 172

Since graduating in 2006, I started a consulting business and have run it ever since.

I would like to attend Cornell; however, most of the predictors suggest that it's a 50/50 proposition. Any thoughts on my chances?

User avatar
ValiantVic
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:02 pm

3.62 from a top 25 school. Will take the September LSAT but have been testing in the low 170s. URM. What schools should I be looking at?

Braindead
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby Braindead » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Thank you in advance for whoever will respond.

GPA: 2.8
LSAT:164

Any chance at Rutgers-Newark/Camden, Villanova, U.Richmond, Temple?

I believe the gpa is below the 25% for all these school but the lsat scores appear higher than their median. Is there a decent shot?

Not a URM, 3 yrs. work experience while attending school.

Thanks again.

thegreatestbak
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:06 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby thegreatestbak » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Hello everyone,

...So i'll get right down to it:

I have a 2.5 GPA, I expect an LSAT score somewhere between 160-170, and I have two internships (3 mos.)--one in City Planning and the other as a Legal Clerk. My University is ranked 44th right now (Tier 1-Its a UC school).

I also wonder how much it matters that I have accomplished so much in terms of units--I am a major in Criminology, a minor in Management, another minor in Philosophy, and a nearly completed major in Music. My Music GPA really dragged me down, I was taking about 24 units a quarter last really and it really hit my GPA hard..on top of that, I will not be able to finish the major despite only having a couple upper div classes left.

I don't know how much extra-curriculars count, but for the record I was a member of the Crew Team at my University, I was a member of a few solid clubs (pre-law, speech and debate) for a year and a couple quarters, respectively.

As an additional question, I was wondering whether it is possible to take the GRE and attend a Graduate School as a Masters in Public Policy (MPP), then take the LSAT while in school and apply for a joint program. I usually hear that people take the LSAT and then apply to a joint four year program, but I am not sure if it works the other way around. I'd like to do this both because I am afraid I may be applying too late (I plan on taking the February 6 LSAT because I am working and taking a couple classes...though I may consider studying for the LSAT while enrolled in these two classes and taking the Decemeber 6...but that would be cutting it pretty close), and because I hope it may help my chances.

Thanks for reading my life story! Any advice would be very much appreciated.

HuckFinn587
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby HuckFinn587 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Hey!
I'm so confused by all these calculators. I have one saying I'm not getting into any T14 schools and one saying I'll get into Yale lol.

Undergrad: Major: English, Philosophy, Minor: Ethics at Ivy League
GPA: 3.4
Female
Varsity Athlete, Leadership in three Christian groups, sorority leadership, ACLU intern
LSAT: 178

Should I apply to Michigan ED? Or do I have a chance to get money there if I dont? Should I bother applying to Harvard? I'm assuming there's no way in hell I'll get into Yale. But am i in the Columbia, U Chicago etc. range?

Thhaannkkss!


also but much less importantly so don't respond in like an essay to this: I am Native but I don't want to check the box for any other reason than someone telling me it will make it so that I definitely get into Yale (which I'm sure is not true and even then I probably wont). I don't like people thinking I didn't get in on my own.

foam
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby foam » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:22 pm

The closer the September LSAT reports come, the more panicked I get about my odds of getting in anywhere.

I'm a recent graduate, English/History major with decent softs, looking for IP/cyberlaw programs.
GPA 3.74, practice scores about 168.

Any chance of T14? Would it be worth it to study like a maniac and retake the LSATs in Dec (if it looked like I could reasonably raise my score)? Is Berkeley absolutely ridiculous to even think about?

Help!

User avatar
Lyov Myshkin
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:39 am

HuckFinn587 wrote:Hey!
I'm so confused by all these calculators. I have one saying I'm not getting into any T14 schools and one saying I'll get into Yale lol.

Undergrad: Major: English, Philosophy, Minor: Ethics at Ivy League
GPA: 3.4
Female
Varsity Athlete, Leadership in three Christian groups, sorority leadership, ACLU intern
LSAT: 178

Should I apply to Michigan ED? Or do I have a chance to get money there if I dont? Should I bother applying to Harvard? I'm assuming there's no way in hell I'll get into Yale. But am i in the Columbia, U Chicago etc. range?

Thhaannkkss!


also but much less importantly so don't respond in like an essay to this: I am Native but I don't want to check the box for any other reason than someone telling me it will make it so that I definitely get into Yale (which I'm sure is not true and even then I probably wont). I don't like people thinking I didn't get in on my own.


i think you're out at the top 3, probably in at columbia though. 3.4 even from an ivy is just way too low for hys. maybe throw the top 3 an app if you want, but it looks unlikely, probably a waste. but you can see for yourself if you like.

Image

lowest admit here is a 3.3/171 but that's a military war veteran or something. second lowest gpa admit is 3.47/177 but that's a URM.

columbia/UofC range is dead on, i think. a solid app (strong ps/recs) and you should be good i bet.

User avatar
Lyov Myshkin
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:45 am

utb wrote:Hey guys,

I am a white male and I completed my undergrad at a t20 school. I had to pay my way and, as a result, my GPA suffered:

GPA: 3.23
LSAT: 172

Since graduating in 2006, I started a consulting business and have run it ever since.

I would like to attend Cornell; however, most of the predictors suggest that it's a 50/50 proposition. Any thoughts on my chances?


i bet you'll get in.

dacrazylawyer87
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby dacrazylawyer87 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:17 pm

Honest opinion of odds for "cream of the crop" schools, specifically Stanford, Yale, Columbia, NYU, UC Berkeley, etc. Also for Fordham.

Interested in: Contracts/Torts, IP Law, Human Rights

Profile:
URM: AA male

LSAT: First time 154 (Oct 08), second time (Sep 09) probably late 150s to early 160s,
GPA 3.93 (LSAC), 3.87 (CUNY/Macaulay Honors), Political Science and Media (double major), Spanish Minor. tons of 300 level courses so I challenged myself too.

Extra-curricular activities: DA's Office, corporate firm, no fault firm, writer for university newspaper and major Spanish language newspaper. Founder of my own freelance Spanish tutoring and translation business, have my own blog (mostly about politics).

Recs: all know me well, 2 Columbia Law alums and the Prof I did my honors thesis with

Primarily worried about the LSAT score limiting my options. Thanks!
Last edited by dacrazylawyer87 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PLATONiC
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby PLATONiC » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:18 pm

This is a helpful post.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby jawsthegreat » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:34 am

Ok I have a 3.51/173, 4 year Division 1 varsity Baseball letter winner, little to no work experience (baseball in the summers), won a couple writing contests in school, honor societies etc...

So what are my chances at

Duke
Virginia
Chicago
Penn
Georgetown
Michigan
NYU
Columbia
Vandy

And are there any other schools that i should be applying to that are not on the list?
Thanks for any help guys

teqniqal
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:28 pm

Re: What are my odds?

Postby teqniqal » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:41 pm

3.05/165

Upward trend on my gpa since my 3rd year of undergrad, took a quarter off for health / personal reasons the second quarter of my 4th year, currently in my 5th year, gonna graduate next quarter. I have pretty solid LORs, one of them is from the vice-president of the undergrad poli sci dept, which is relevant because I'm a political science major.

Currently thinking of applying to: Davis, Hastings, Irvine, Santa Clara, Loyola Law, Chapman, University of San Francisco, Pepperdine, Villanova, Fordham, George Washington, George Mason, Washington, Cardozo, Minnesota

Should I trim any schools off or add any?

I appreciate any counsel.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dodocogon and 1 guest