What are my odds?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vasiok

Re: What are my odds?

Postby vasiok » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:07 pm

I'll give this a shot:

LSAC UG GPA: ~3.2 (3.5ish in last semesters)
BS Major: Computer Engineering
MS Major: Computer Science (3.95 GPA but no one cares about this :( )

Out of UG for couple of years now, have research/work experience about 1.5 years of each. While UG attended engineering research symposiums and my research actually took 2nd place at one of those (ok soft factor I guess) and have a patent pending on it. Have my own business which has been active and profitable for 4 years now. Speak several languages.

I would most likely qualify as a diversity (not URM) candidate if such thing exists due to several interesting moments in my biography :)

LSAT: October :P Obviously will get 170+ with the amount of practicing I'm doing.

My reach school is Columbia (highly unlikely with my GPA but what do ya know). I do have pretty good reasons for having really low GPA, besides me deciding to go to law school in my last semester of masters.

What do ya think? What are my chances from Columbia down to Cornell?

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:11 pm

LSAT: October :P Obviously will get 170+ with the amount of practicing I'm doing.

Ask again when you actually have an LSAT score :roll:

vasiok

Postby vasiok » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:22 pm

EmmyD wrote:

Can't we pretend? 8) Cheer up. :wink:

I see no problems with getting 170+ score given my circumstances and performance on my diag and last timed prep test.

lollypotter

Postby lollypotter » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:49 pm

vasiok wrote:I'll give this a shot:

LSAC UG GPA: ~3.2 (3.5ish in last semesters)
BS Major: Computer Engineering
MS Major: Computer Science (3.95 GPA but no one cares about this :( )

Out of UG for couple of years now, have research/work experience about 1.5 years of each. While UG attended engineering research symposiums and my research actually took 2nd place at one of those (ok soft factor I guess) and have a patent pending on it. Have my own business which has been active and profitable for 4 years now. Speak several languages.

I would most likely qualify as a diversity (not URM) candidate if such thing exists due to several interesting moments in my biography :)

My reach school is Columbia (highly unlikely with my GPA but what do ya know). I do have pretty good reasons for having really low GPA, besides me deciding to go to law school in my last semester of masters.

What do ya think? What are my chances from Columbia down to Cornell?

I'm guessing 10 - 14 are your best bet

Def out at CCN and Berkeley.

Depends how high the LSAT is. A 180 is very diff to a 170 here.

oopivyoo

Postby oopivyoo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:34 pm

jarofsoup wrote:hello I have a lsac gpa of 3.16 but my gpa has been brought down by poor performance in non-major classes at the first university i attended and I have a 3.36 at the university that I am currently attend. I have not taken the LSATs but I am registered in Kaplans intense prep test...what kind of lsat score would I have to get to be admitted to Lewis and Clark, University of Oregon, UC Hastings or Davis? Thank you...

170+ imo

hahahawhat

Postby hahahawhat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:30 pm

Now that June scores are out, we can probably expect to see a deluge of new posts in this thread.

I guess I'll be one of the first.

171/3.3/Mexican Male

Chances at the T14/Vandy/Texas/UCLA/USC?

EDIT: UG was at a top-30, major was applied math.

lawschoolchances

Postby lawschoolchances » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:46 pm

UGPA: 3.78 at a Top 30 school
LSAT: 166
Working for 2 years before applying to law school. Where do I have a shot to get in?

secretariat

Postby secretariat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:48 pm

177, 3.4 from a T5 UG (soft major though).
Option to work in finance or go straight to law school.

What are my chances at CCN/any shot at HYS?

mikewilliams

Postby mikewilliams » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:18 pm

163 and 3.85 (mich). chances at vandy, ucla???? Not URM but still a minority. Normal softs. thanks

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:34 pm

hahahawhat wrote:Now that June scores are out, we can probably expect to see a deluge of new posts in this thread.

I guess I'll be one of the first.

171/3.3/Mexican Male

Chances at the T14/Vandy/Texas/UCLA/USC?

EDIT: UG was at a top-30, major was applied math.

Apply to the entire T14 . . . you'll get into multiple

oopivyoo

Postby oopivyoo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:04 am

mikewilliams wrote:163 and 3.85 (mich). chances at vandy, ucla???? Not URM but still a minority. Normal softs. thanks

Good luck! I got waitlisted with similiar numbers at UCLA, but even just that required me to call, write, and visit the Dean of the school. You have good numbers for Davis and Hastings though. Otherwise, if you really want So Cal. you can get soe $ (prob. like 17K or so) from Pepperdine and full rides from some 3rd and 4th tier schools.

mwalsh2020

nt

Postby mwalsh2020 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:52 am

nt
Last edited by mwalsh2020 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J-Rod

Re: please don't average? (cross-post) 3.97/179,161

Postby J-Rod » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:07 am

mwalsh2020 wrote:So, I just re-took the LSAT and got a 179. Previous score was a 161, but I have a reasonable addendum for that if that matters (does it?). White male from a t50 UG. Average softs, reasonably strong LORs, hopefully great PS.

Chances at HYS? $ in the T14?

Thanks in advance.

your addendum better be uber reasonable . . . that's a HUGE difference . . . and what's your GPA? you can have a 179, but if your GPA is only a 3.5, you might be lookin outside of HYS

mwalsh2020

nt

Postby mwalsh2020 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:15 am

nt
Last edited by mwalsh2020 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MissVirginia

Postby MissVirginia » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:41 am

J-Rod wrote:
mwalsh2020 wrote:So, I just re-took the LSAT and got a 179. Previous score was a 161, but I have a reasonable addendum for that if that matters (does it?). White male from a t50 UG. Average softs, reasonably strong LORs, hopefully great PS. Chances at HYS? $ in the T14? Thanks in advance.
your addendum better be uber reasonable . . . that's a HUGE difference . . . and what's your GPA? you can have a 179, but if your GPA is only a 3.5, you might be lookin outside of HYS
Regarding the addendum, it should be all of three sentences: say what was different, show how the latter is more representative of your ability, given them a passable reason to ignore that first score and move on. I was told again and again by schools to which I wanted to send detailed explanations that they really just needed a succinct legitimate reason to ignore a lower score, and that can be "due to some complicating circumstances which have since been resolved"... or whatever. You don't want to raise new questions, you know?

179 is a helluva score. Congrats!

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:54 am

mwalsh2020 wrote:

your addendum better be uber reasonable . . . that's a HUGE difference . . . and what's your GPA? you can have a 179, but if your GPA is only a 3.5, you might be lookin outside of HYS[/quote]

Does the large difference in scores make an addendum MORE necessary, or less?[/quote]

more . . . a 1-2 point difference they'll just assume you had a better test day, or learned the test a bit better . . . an 18 point difference as per the person above, they'll want to know why you were able to do that much better

lsathater

Postby lsathater » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:55 am

Hey everybody, I was wondering if I can get some advice regarding law school admissions. I'm thinking of applying this coming fall to law school but I'm not really sure where to apply and/or what law schools will make of my application. Before I begin, I've tried to run a search for people in my situation just to gauge their chances (you'll see what I mean by my situation later on. I found one person who is somewhat in my situation with roughly similar stats who also went through some personal stuff but he seems to be interested in part-time programs only). I'm an older, non-trad student. I have a 3.199, 5 years of work experience going on 6 years, I'm currently working on my personal statement, a diversity essay, I've lined up 3 LOR's; two are academic in nature, and one from my job. I think I have a decent resume in terms of work experience.

As you can see, however, I've left out the most important part of any law school application: my LSAT score. I have 3 LSAT scores and one cancel. Two low 150'ish scores, and just got a 175 on the June 2008 LSAT. During the the time I got the cancel and two low scores, my personal life was in shambles. My marriage was on the brink of divorce, my wife and I were having horrible fights daily, and I found out some very disturbing things, which forced us to seperate and get counselling for her. This, coupled with working many hours in order to pay the bills, a family member who I was very close with being diagnosed with cancer, really created a ton of stress and pressure in my life. I'll admit I made a colossal mistake in thinking I should even sit for the LSAT for those cancel and two low scores. After my last low score, I moved out, my wife and I were seperated and I had some time to think about what I wanted in life. For two years, we went to marriage therapists, while living apart, and after tons of hours in therapy, we reunited, our marriage is doing much better, our kids are doing great and I had some time to actually study for the LSAT without wondering if I had destroyed my kids' lives and did significantly better.

Having said all this, can I get into any decent law schools? I know top 14 is totally out of the question but are there any decent tier 1 or teir 2 schools I would have a shot at? I apologize for the long post. I look forward to hearing your advice/comments

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:49 pm

Well, June scores are obviously in and I unfortunately underperformed (for a, in my opinion, quite legitimate reason). After getting my practice test scores up to a 166 and a 167 shortly before the actual test, you'll understand why I'm so disappointed with my...

161 LSAT
3.45 GPA
3.45 LSAC Calculated GPA
Non-URM

I don't want to take the LSAT again in October, it is the Saturday after every single Mid-term I will have, and with 20 hours this semester I don't feel like I will be able to adequately prepare for the test.

The range I have set out is Emory, Washington & Lee, BC, William & Mary, and then just about every school between my last "stretch" school, UGA, and my safety school Georgia State. Oh, and I'm clearly a Georgia resident.

Well, "what are my odds?"

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:51 pm

vasiok wrote:
EmmyD wrote:

I see no problems with getting 170+ score given my circumstances and performance on my diag and last timed prep test.

Don't count out the unpredictable, things happen that you would have never expected and change everything.

Penn09

Postby Penn09 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:24 am

GPA 3.67 from Penn (does it matter that it's from Penn?)
LSAT 168
Right now I'm thinking Penn, Northwestern, GULC, UVA
Thoughts?

vasiok

Postby vasiok » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:41 pm

wwarren wrote:
vasiok wrote:
EmmyD wrote:

Don't count out the unpredictable, things happen that you would have never expected and change everything.

The day you posted this I got into a huge car accident with my car being totaled :lol: Stupid old lady t-boned me...

Are you nostradamus? :shock:

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:00 pm

Well at least it wasn't the Tuesday before the October exam or something. :wink:

vasiok

Postby vasiok » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:45 pm

wwarren wrote:Well at least it wasn't the Tuesday before the October exam or something. :wink:

Good point ;)

jao587

Postby jao587 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi all,
Thought I'd ask as well. I have a 3.65/171, with pretty good softs. I was wondering what my chances would be at Michigan or Georgetown. Thanks!

ari20dal7

Postby ari20dal7 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Should be in at both.

Return to “What are my chances?”