What are my odds?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
The Agitator

Postby The Agitator » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:13 am

That means you can only register with letters or numbers in your screen name. No spaces or stuff like ?/>.<,}]-= etc.

If you tried to register as "Mike Smith" do it as "MikeSmith"

Diddy

Postby Diddy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:21 am

Agitator,

I figured that much but the problem is that it doesn't even allow me to type anything in before it leaps to that error screen.

hobbla

Postby hobbla » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:51 am

I don't think it's a compatibility issue, LSN just isn't very well programmed.

Make sure you wait for the page to completely load before entering any information and you should be ok.

Oklahoma Mike

Postby Oklahoma Mike » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:20 pm

Pyke,
the grid at bc's page is jsut giving 25/75 numbers, so if you are below and to the right, it would mean what you are just below would be a reach (because you are under their 25th percentile) but to the left would be likely (because you are above their 7th percentile.) and if there were a grid there it would just be what you fall inside of. So basically it's like if you did lsatreport.com - what would be to the left would be green at lsat report, a grid you fall on would be blue, and something above or to the right would be red.

mak06

Postby mak06 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:55 pm

:lol:
Last edited by mak06 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bensguard

Postby Bensguard » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:57 pm

Dude, Corsair - you are awesome man! haha :o Wow, I gotta take a look at all this stuff, but crap, it might just stress me out even more... oh the choices, the choices!

DELETED

Postby DELETED » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:45 pm

DELETED
Last edited by DELETED on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

11th-Percentile-SuperHero

Postby 11th-Percentile-SuperHero » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:17 am

i am interested in horses. in bosnia they teach horse law.

Oklahoma Mike

Postby Oklahoma Mike » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:12 pm

jesseg31, I think you've got an OK shot at USC and UCLA, but not great. (with a slightly better shot at USC) I think they're good moderate stretch schools- you could possibly apply to one or two higher, but definitely have something else as your mid range and safety schools.
Have you considered Loyola as a safety? They are respected in LA, good in entertainment law, and apparently UCLA takes at least a couple transfers from Loyola every year.

Steiner

Postby Steiner » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:02 am

not sure about that equestrian law. uc davis has an awesome vet school and agriculture dept i hear as well as a law school. plus they've got a lot of open room for horses to roam. maybe they'd have something for horses up there for ya. but hey, bosnia can be really beautiful- could be something for ya. although, i'm curious how it would turn out because horses are commonly eaten in certain parts of eastern europe. kinda tough though.

Mosel

Postby Mosel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:06 pm

I've looked at LSN and LSAC, and I see the percentages. But I just want to cross that info with general opinions from the wisest and most informed variety of the human stock: TLS-ers. :D

with my humble 3.53 GPA, is there an LSAT score that would give me a fighting chance at a t14, and if so, what is it?

And when I say t14, I mean primarily NU. Other choices would be UofM, Penn, and Duke, but I realize those are considerable and unlikely stretches.

Mosel

Postby Mosel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:15 pm

Jesse,

your numbers seem to be in line with most of the people I know who got into Gould. I realize this is just anecdotal evidence, but FWIW, there ya go.

I wouldn't say auto-admit, but I don't think your chances are as grim as you think.

and like the other reply said....look into Loyola. They're very well respected in the area, and place well in Entertainment Law.

Oklahoma Mike

Postby Oklahoma Mike » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:21 pm

Mosel, I think with NU a lot of it depends on your work experience and background. That can do a lot to bump you up above your scores.

High 160's would put you in range for NU, Cornell, Michigan and maybe UVA/Georgetown. I think breaking the 170's would give you a good shot of getting into at least one of those schools, with the rest of the t14 being a stretch.

What would it take to make you an autoadmit at NU? I'd say 175+ assuming you've got some work experience after school. If you're coming straight from school I think that you'd still have a shot- but there isn't any score you could make to be an autoadmit there.

Oklahoma Mike

Postby Oklahoma Mike » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:23 pm

Oh, and to have a decent shot at Duke, I'd guess you need to be in the mid 170s as they are (from what I hear and from their numbers) more gpa focused there than other schools with similar ranking.

The Agitator

Postby The Agitator » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:48 pm

Mosel,

I have the same gpa and a 171. Duke gave me their priority track email and a fee waiver. That's a good sign.

Get a 170+ on your LSAT and apply to every place below HYS.

Mosel

Postby Mosel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:48 pm

Thanks guys.

The good news is, you said pretty much exactly what I expected. So at least the news wasn't worse than I thought. :wink:

I do have work experience, and it's in the legal field, and I can boast of promotions and taking over a department, blah blah blah. Hopefully NU would like that.

I realize I'm not an auto-admit anywhere. I just hope there's an achievable LSAT score out there for me that will at least get my app looked at for longer than 3 seconds (key word: achievable).

Fact is, I'm skeptical of a 170+. So far, my highest practice was a 172. My average is about a 168.5. Oh well, I got a month to improve my reading comp, right? :wink:

I completely doubt I have a chance at Duke. I only listed it because it's one of the t14 that I would dig attending. I am in the fortunate situation where I wouldn't want to attend HYSC even if I could get in; so that's nice. I would love to study in the Midwest, and ultimately base in Chicago.

Katkins

Postby Katkins » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:37 pm

with my humble 3.53 GPA, is there an LSAT score that would give me a fighting chance at a t14, and if so, what is it?

And when I say t14, I mean primarily NU

171 will get it done, IF you have WE

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:11 pm

171 will get it done

rhyming advice is by far the best type of advice

(L)

Postby (L) » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:51 pm

Ok my turn:

3.87 GPA
No LSAT Score yet
Lots of ideas for my PS including n-n English speaker, relevant work experience (hence a strong resume)

I am 100% certain that I could get two strong LOR's.

One is from a Professor with whom I took 5 classes for my major and saved most exams and all term papers for his conveniance.

The second will be from one of two or maybe both bosses at my current job. For the last 3 years, I have been working as a paralegal for a small law firm that specializes in property, family and some corporate law. I heard that some top tier law schools don't put a lot of weigh on paralegal work experience becasue in their mind the typical paralegal runs out to Starbucks and spends the rest of the time in front of the Xerox machine.

I, on the other hand, have become a valuable asset for our law firm for vastly more important reasons that I will go into greater detail on my resume. Title review, settlement statement drafting, deed recording... I've done it all. I would probably be able to oversee a real estate closing with little to no supervision.

But the best part is that one of my bosses went to UC-Berkeley and continues to donate money to the school every year. He has reassured me that he will do everything on his part to get more than just my foot through the door at Boalt. The other boss went to DePaul LS in Chicago so this can be my other LOR for DePaul as a safety school...

My question is this: Based on the aforementioned details and the fact that UC-Berkeley places the most weight on UGPA out all of the top 20 Law Schools, what is the minimum LSAT score I would need to be competitive in the admissions cycle at Boalt?

What LSAT score would make me competitive for the remaining top tier law schools?

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:01 am

If you can hit the median (or perhaps even a bit lower), you'll be competitive at whatever top 14 school you're interested in.

ehm1597

Postby ehm1597 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:36 pm

edited for clarity:
Last edited by ehm1597 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:49 pm

Most schools ask you to explain any gaps in your education. That addendum would be a good opportunity to make an argument for why your Cum GPA is not representative of your abilities.
Whatever you do, don't say this is your fourth throw at college.

elk

time off

Postby elk » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:21 am

"Most schools ask you to explain any gaps in your education. That addendum would be a good opportunity to make an argument for why your Cum GPA is not representative of your abilities.
Whatever you do, don't say this is your fourth throw at college."

---

Does one's cumulative GPA decrease if there is a gap in undergrad education? I attended 3 different colleges/universities (all highly selective - one of which is Ivy) with gaps between each. I have my BA with a 3.9 degree GPA, and excellent/compelling reasons for the time off and great grades at each institution attended. Will this be viewed in unfavorable light by admissions committees? Will my LSDAS gpa suffer as a result of the time off?

Oklahoma Mike

Postby Oklahoma Mike » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:49 pm

the time off shouldn't harm your lsdas gpa at all, and if there are good reasons for it it shouldn't harm you either. The gpa will drop if it is currently excluding grades that were replaced when you retook classes or excluding lower grades that didn't transfer. Basically it just takes every grade you had prior to graduation and then computes the gpa.

Schools are basically wanting to make sure that you didn't just flake out for no reason. Legitimate gaps in your undergrad really shouldn't hurt you.

JustWannaGetIn

St. John's Law

Postby JustWannaGetIn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:45 pm

Someone tell me my odds for St. John's (NY)--

LSAT 153
GPA (Fordham) 3.6
Double Major: Poli Sci/ Communications- Journalism
Korean-American (NOT URM)

(planning on sending my application first week of november)

Thanks guys

Return to “What are my chances?”