What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jpez

New

Post by jpez » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some honest answers here.

I'm applying for the Fall 2008 term for law school. I am in the process of sending my applications to BU, BC, Northeastern, and Suffolk.

I went to a small, private university in Rhode Island, and have maintained a 3.93 (LSAC 3.91) cumulative GPA in a double major during my four years at school. I took the lsat in Sept where I scored a 160 (82nd percentile), and I'm registered to take it again in Dec.

I have good soft factors; participated in lots of clubs on campus during undergrade, won lots of awards, and have had great internships with courts/district attorney.

The LSAT score is the thing that really concerns me, so I wanted an objective opinion or two on how you think my stats will hold up for each of these schools.

Any help you could give me would be greatly greatly appreciated!!

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:06 am

BC is likely a ding
Same with BU, but you have a SLIGHT chance there
Northeastern and Suffolk are in with $$$.

Doober

New

Post by Doober » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:36 am

do you have a good chance of getting into a school if you hit the school's median lsat, but with a 25% gpa?

dreday3223

New

What is the best NYC school I could get into?

Post by dreday3223 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:39 pm

What are your thoughts on my chances of admission to the following schools on a part-time basis:

Fordham
Cardozo
Brooklyn
St. Johns
Hofstra
New York Law
Seton Hall

Here are my stats:
UGPA: 2.47 (University of Virginia)
LSAT: 158
Post - undergrad: ABA approved Paralegal Certificate with distinction (4.0 GPA in Law School Type classes)
5 years work experience (last 2 .5 as a paralegal for a union)
African American Male
1st to apply to Grad School
Strong PS
OK LOR's

Any thoughts? Obviously Fordham and Cardozo are extreme reaches but I will try anyway. I am a completely different person than I was when I was "earning" my 2.47 GPA. I have worked harder and accomplished more to put myself in this position.

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:27 pm

I was about to say no chance at Fordham or Cordozo and then I saw African American Male and recant my mental opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

logicallauren

New

Post by logicallauren » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:35 pm

Honestly, I think that you have a shot at all of them. Obviously, you're reaching more w/ cardozo and fordham, but I still think that you have a shot - and it's worth applying to every one of them. You'll get in somewhere!

WSUhockey

New

3.2/172 Boston U?

Post by WSUhockey » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:57 pm

I had a few issues with laziness and legality in my youth, and I am a bit concerned as to how much this will hurt my chances at a Tier I school. I am 22 and will graduate in May with a double major in Political Science and History, both with a focus on Pre-Law. My in-major GPA is a 3.94, my cumulative GPA is 3.41 and I got a 172 on my LSAT.

Unfortunately, when I took community college classes in high school I failed several and had to repeat them later, lowering my undergrad gpa to a 3.15 on the LSAC scale. My GPA the last two years of college was about 3.7, so I am hoping the improvement helps. Additionally, my freshman year of college I was charged with an MIP, though I have a clean record now, and suspended for a semester. I have good soft factors, activities, volunteering and such, as well as an amazing LOR from the chair of of the department I studied within.

What are my odds?

I am hoping to get into Fordham, Boston College, Boston University or University of Washington.

Safeties
Brooklyn
Washington (MO)
Wake Forest

DCPI23

New

Post by DCPI23 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:22 pm

Hey guys quick question. What do you think my odds are at University of Louisville?

GPA 3.65
LSAT 155

Normal soft factors/LORs and PS, with two years work experience. Thanks.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:05 pm

why make another thread just like this one? that's stickied?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

owt

New

Post by owt » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:07 pm

edit
Last edited by owt on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSandlin

New

Post by JSandlin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:36 pm

If I were you I would pick some safeties that are between your safeties and targets now, I think you have a decent shot at your targets, but suppose you don't hit one of them... you could get into a better school than UNC or SCar.

alimania

New

Post by alimania » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:17 pm

My stats: 156 / ~3.5 (foreign UG)

Deans Honor List, many student society positions, Student government positions, speak 4 languages, worked/intern during summers.

Unis:

American University - Early Decision
George Mason University
UC Hastings
U of San Francisco
U of Miami
Northeastern
NY Law School
Pace University
Hofstra University
Santa Clara University
Rutgers - Newark

SplendidSplinter9

New

Post by SplendidSplinter9 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm second guessing my list a bit, and I was hoping to get a few objective opinions. If you all wouldn't mind taking a look and maybe giving me a couple other options I may want to consider, as well as your prognoses, I'd be mighty grateful. Thanks.

3.63 double major from top liberal arts college
163 LSAT (Only took it once, probably will not take it again due to schedule this admissions cycle)
Coordinated programs for social justice work in impoverished areas at my college, Founded and ran AIDS awareness organization, Various other leadership positions (VP of Student Activities Board, VP of college political organization, Director of Publicity/Advertising at Radio Station, Editor/Columnist for newspaper, etc.), Varsity athlete, employed for about 10 hours a week during school year. Various academic honor societies, grants.
Finishing up MDiv degree at Harvard and in ordination process-worked as an intern during graduate school in various churches/service organizations.
Want to work in public interest/legal aid/start my own legal aid foundation eventually.

The list:
UVA (HORRIBLE reach, but I have family ties)
Vanderbilt
William and Mary
Washington and Lee
Emory
UNC-Chapel Hill (Out of State)
BC
Wake Forest

Any thoughts, suggestions, are welcome. I know I'm aiming high, but I'm thinking I will take the LSAT again next fall if nothing falls my way this cycle. Grad school and work keep me quite busy, so prep time is hard to find. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AR75

New

Post by AR75 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 am

Your odds are great!

SplendidSplinter9

New

Post by SplendidSplinter9 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:41 am

Andy,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I truly appreciate it coming from someone who clearly does not share my love of the Sox-very clever avatar!

Anyone else have thoughts or suggestions? Thanks again.

welkin

New

Post by welkin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:12 am

I've never done one of these, but I'll try! We're applying to 3 of the same schools! I put UVA as a reach with my 164, too... it's nice to have dreams :-)

SplendidSplinter9-
UVA- out
Vanderbilt- out or maybe WL
William and Mary- In or WL, I'm going to lean towards in
Washington and Lee- I think you have a good shot, I'll go with in, WL, in at worst
Emory- WL
UNC-Chapel Hill (Out of State)- wow, their LSN graph is the most sporadic I've seen as far as rejections (maybe too small of a sample)... I'll go with in, but I really know nothing about this school and LSN wasn't helping
BC- I think in, but it's iffy
Wake Forest- in, for sure

Okay, so I'm not really all that decisive... but I tried. I think Wake Forest is definitely a good safety and other than Vandy and UVA those are good targets or target-reaches. Good luck with the cycle!

lmardin

New

Post by lmardin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:42 pm

GPA: 3.72 -degree summ. 3.98
LSAT: 163

Boston University
Boston College
George Mason
Univ. Illinois
St. Louis Univ.
Northeastern
Suffolk (already in w/ $)
Santa Clara
W&M

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

colbytim25

New

Post by colbytim25 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:15 pm

hey people. id like some help in determining my shots at the following schools. I have a 162 LSAT, 3.61 LSAC GPA, went to a great college, 4 years work experience, great diversity statement (non-URM but great).

The list:

Reaches--Berkeley, Gtown, UCLA
Targets--USC, Hastings, Emory, BC, BU
Safeties--Santa Clara, USF

Please let me know. Be blunt if possible. Thanks!

OmarQuijada

New

Help....Seriously.....

Post by OmarQuijada » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:20 am

Hi everybody,

Alright, here are my stats.
3.85 (From small, private LibArts school)
4 years in education
Some graduate credit
Foreign language proficiency
Not URM, unless Ozark Mountain Hillbilly falls into that category
Good community service/personal statement/LORs

Reach:
UVA
Notre Dame
Vanderbilt

Target:
U of Iowa
U of Indiana - Bloomington
U of Illinois
U of Washington - Seattle
Rutgers - Camden
William and Mary
Washington and Lee

Safety:
U of Oregon
U of Arkansas

I'm interested in PI law/int'l law, so I don't want to take on a mountain of debt. What are my chances? How about my chances for scholarships? Any other schools you'd recommend?

Thank you.

SEB666666

New

Do I need more safeties??

Post by SEB666666 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:10 pm

Hey Everyone,
I´ve got my main list and *almost* ready to send my apps (much later than i had planned), but i´m getting nervous that i don´t have enough definite "ins"

my stats:
-3.21 GPA from prestigious lib arts school (some b.s. classes, some serious), sociology major.
-166 LSAT
-out of school for 4 yrs, work exp during this time includes: 1 yr teaching English abroad, 2.5 yrs as immigration paralegal at nonprofit org. Motivation to attend law school is to continue immigration legal services work-- this is well-reflected in PS.
-3 recs, 2 very strong, don´t know about the other cause haven´t seen it yet.

My current list of schools:
NYU (suuuuuuper-reach)
UVA (also out of my league, but have legacy)
Fordham
Temple
American
Cardozo
CUNY
Brooklyn Law
Florida International U.
NY Law School

The last 2 are my safeties...do ya´ll think they are safe enough?? even so , do i need more?

Thanks for any advice you may have!!

colbytim25

New

Post by colbytim25 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:34 am

ive got similar profile, 3.62 and 164, so my gpa might help me a bit more, also do immigration paralegal work and have that in my PS.

i would say the following:

nyu--reject
uva--reject, unless in state then wl, maybe in
fordham--wl, reject
temple--in
american--in
cardozo--in
cuny--in, $$$
brooklyn---in
FIU--in, $$$
nyl--in

you should look at northeastern. great imm program, located in boston. with your gpa and lsat, youd probably get money from them too. also look at UConn.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

akriss

New

Post by akriss » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:17 am

I have 3.9/170... I've applied to these schools and wondering if I should include any more safety schools. Also, what are my chances at these schools? Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!

NYU
Columbia
Fordham
Georgetown
Harvard
Yale
Penn
Emory
U. Chicago
Northwestern
UVA
Duke

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:52 pm

My predictino:

NYU WL, in or in
Columbia WL, in or in
Fordham in $$$
Georgetown in $$$
Harvard wl
Yale wl
Penn WL, in or in
Emory in $$$
U. Chicago WL, in or in
Northwestern depends on workd experience
UVA (assuning non-resident) WL, in or in. if resident, in $$$
Duke in $$$

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:44 pm

do duke/georgetown/cornell really give money that often? are you just guessing? from what I have seen on LSN, people in that range don't usually get money, but I guess not everyone lists $$

bmw685

New

Post by bmw685 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:53 pm

alright, i've been TLS stalking for a while, and i'm giving in now so here we go: 3.26, 165 what do ya think:

BC
UC hastings
Fordham
W & L
George Mason
Wake
Cardozo
American
Temple
loyola -chi
Pepperdine

Seriously? What are you waiting for?