What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jwinger91

New

Re: What are my odds?

Post by jwinger91 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:12 pm

I know TLS hates those without real LSATs but bear with me, please! Planning to take February 2013 LSAT and potentially June 2013 LSAT as well. Looking to enter law school in Fall 2014.

*3.69 GPA
*173 LSAT on multiple practice tests (171-175), so around ~170 on the actual LSAT for now
*Ability to get a good LOR from the president of the university
*President of the student government at large public university on the East Coast
*Not a URM

Looking for someone to give me my odds for CCN and chances for money at the rest of the T-14. Thanks!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:21 am

jwinger91 wrote:I know TLS hates those without real LSATs but bear with me, please! Planning to take February 2013 LSAT and potentially June 2013 LSAT as well. Looking to enter law school in Fall 2014.

*3.69 GPA
*173 LSAT on multiple practice tests (171-175), so around ~170 on the actual LSAT for now
*Ability to get a good LOR from the president of the university
*President of the student government at large public university on the East Coast
*Not a URM

Looking for someone to give me my odds for CCN and chances for money at the rest of the T-14. Thanks!
You wouldn't really break into CCN until you broke 172. http://myLSN.info/j0qykk

Why are you getting an LOR from the president of the university? Can you not find two solid profs?

jwinger91

New

Post by jwinger91 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:21 pm

TripTrip wrote:Why are you getting an LOR from the president of the university? Can you not find two solid profs?
I'm wondering if the President's letter would be stronger for me than a prof's letter. I am a TA for a small class that the President teaches, so she has observed me in a pseudo-academic environment for two-going-on-three years now.

Thanks for the advice on the LSAT, as well, 172 sounds like a manageable goal. Again, I'll apologize in advance for the hypothetical, but what kind of money can I expect at the rest of the T-14 with 3.69/172? I can't seem to find good information about scholarship offers for certain numbers.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:30 pm

jwinger91 wrote:I am a TA for a small class that the President teaches
Then that makes sense. :)
jwinger91 wrote:what kind of money can I expect at the rest of the T-14 with 3.69/172? I can't seem to find good information about scholarship offers for certain numbers.
Click the link in my last post. It has scholarship numbers from every school listed.

jwinger91

New

Post by jwinger91 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:40 pm

TripTrip wrote:Click the link in my last post. It has scholarship numbers from every school listed.
So those numbers are for average scholarships awarded over three years?

Is there somewhere that I can find the cost of attendance for each of those schools in one place?

(Please excuse the n00b questions)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:47 pm

jwinger91 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Click the link in my last post. It has scholarship numbers from every school listed.
So those numbers are for average scholarships awarded over three years?

Is there somewhere that I can find the cost of attendance for each of those schools in one place?

(Please excuse the n00b questions)
Hover over the top column to see what it is - the first one (% $) is the percent of accepted students who received a scholarship, and the next (Avg $) is the average of how large those scholarships were. (That way you can see if a school gives out a lot of little ones or a few big ones or what have you.)

For COA, see here: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=schools

you'rethemannowdawg

Bronze

Post by you'rethemannowdawg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:43 pm

3.25/177

Non-URM.

Hoping to crack CCN. Any chance? Any chance at money in other T14?

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:56 pm

3.25/177

Non-URM.

I think you have a chance at N maybe.. do you have WE? I think with applications down 30%, you'll probably get something from somewhere!

you'rethemannowdawg

Bronze

Post by you'rethemannowdawg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:14 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
3.25/177

Non-URM.

I think you have a chance at N maybe.. do you have WE? I think with applications down 30%, you'll probably get something from somewhere!
I do. 1 year WE. I'm at work right now, actually...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uhhuh2004

New

Post by uhhuh2004 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:00 pm

LSAT: 172 on a third attempt (163 the 1st time, 168 the 2nd)
UGPA: 3.1 from a top 50 university
Have a M.A. in Journalism with a 3.89 graduate GPA (while working full time)
Notable soft factors: 8 years non-profit public interest work experience in D.C., including testifying before Congress three times over the years and working with congressional staffers and executive branch officials -- I've directly contributed to the passage of several laws in a demonstrable way on the public record.
LORs from my boss of 6 years, a media law professor from my M.A. program, and the general counsel of a federal agency.

Any idea what my chances are at NYU, Cornell, Georgetown, UVA, Michigan, Penn, UT-Austin, UCLA? I wasn't particularly focused during my undergrad years, especially with a 1.9 GPA from one semester pulling my UGPA average down. I've run my numbers through lawschoolpredictor and thoroughly gone over lawschoolnumbers. Think my softs will matter much?

JohnMarshall17

Bronze

Post by JohnMarshall17 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:18 pm

uhhuh2004 wrote:LSAT: 172 on a third attempt (163 the 1st time, 168 the 2nd)
UGPA: 3.1 from a top 50 university
Have a M.A. in Journalism with a 3.89 graduate GPA (while working full time)
Notable soft factors: 8 years non-profit public interest work experience in D.C., including testifying before Congress three times over the years and working with congressional staffers and executive branch officials -- I've directly contributed to the passage of several laws in a demonstrable way on the public record.
LORs from my boss of 6 years, a media law professor from my M.A. program, and the general counsel of a federal agency.

Any idea what my chances are at NYU, Cornell, Georgetown, UVA, Michigan, Penn, UT-Austin, UCLA? I wasn't particularly focused during my undergrad years, especially with a 1.9 GPA from one semester pulling my UGPA average down. I've run my numbers through lawschoolpredictor and thoroughly gone over lawschoolnumbers. Think my softs will matter much?
Obviously your softs are great. Your graduate GPA will be a good indicator of how you have worked harder as a student since your UG years. I would write an addendum for the 1.9 though. As a splitter, it's really tough to say, but I'm sure you'd be admitted to at least a few of those schools. I doubt you'll get much money (if any at all) because of your UGPA, so applying ED to NYU (and then ED 2 to Penn if NYU doesn't accept you) may be a good choice.

And to answer your question, your softs will definitely put you into the admit pile if a school puts you into that gray area between admit and deny. Also, be prepared to ride waitlists.

Good luck!!

uhhuh2004

New

Post by uhhuh2004 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:40 pm

thanks!

crazyducky924

New

Post by crazyducky924 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:38 pm

School list:

University of Houston
Georgia State
Wake Forest
University of Oregon

GPA: 3.0
LSAT: 157

What do you think my chances are for getting into the above schools?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:43 pm

crazyducky924 wrote:School list:

University of Houston
Georgia State
Wake Forest
University of Oregon

GPA: 3.0
LSAT: 157

What do you think my chances are for getting into the above schools?
assuming you're not a URM, your chances are fairly slim. Oregon is the only school that you appear to have a good chance at, with Georgia State also being a decent shot.

http://myLSN.info/3fpdcb

crazyducky924

New

Post by crazyducky924 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks for the reply!

mhaquinator

New

Post by mhaquinator » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:14 pm

LSAT 151
GPA 3.61 (possibility of 3.64 by graduation in May)
Double major in Sociology and Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. Advisor is confident the scientific background will help.
Currently doing an Honor's Thesis as well. I mentioned this to many people at my school's law school fair and they said it could certainly help.

Schools are:
CU Boulder (Colorado Law) Fee Waiver
Vermont Fee Waiver
Denver
Minnesota Fee Waiver

These two are based on some pretty helpful law school calculators, am only exploring them atm.
U of Maryland
U of Wisconsin (invite to apply)

Interested in Environmental and International Law. I've lived in 2 other countries and have a lot of experience in adapting to new environments. I am deeply passionate about the environment and think it is one of the most important areas that need regulation for the future. I am a minority.

I am planning to take LSAT again. Constructive answers are much appreciated.

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:19 pm

mhaquinator wrote:LSAT 151
Double major in Sociology and Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. Advisor is confident the scientific background will help.
Currently doing an Honor's Thesis as well. I mentioned this to many people at my school's law school fair and they said it could certainly help.

Schools are:
Vermont Fee Waiver
Denver
Minnesota Fee Waiver

These two are based on some pretty helpful law school calculators, am only exploring them atm.
U of Maryland

Interested in Environmental and International Law. I've lived in 2 other countries and have a lot of experience in adapting to new environments. I am deeply passionate about the environment and think it is one of the most important areas that need regulation for the future. I am a minority.

Are you an underrepresented minority? (african, mexican, or puerto-rican american?)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JohnMarshall17

Bronze

Post by JohnMarshall17 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:31 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:

Schools are:
Vermont Fee Waiver
Denver
Minnesota Fee Waiver

U of Maryland

Are you an underrepresented minority? (african, mexican, or puerto-rican american?)
If you are a URM, beast your retake and break into the T14. Also, if you are truly interested in those types of law, you'll want to go to a much better school than the ones you listed. Get a mid 160 and your viable options will change dramatically (assuming you are a URM).

mhaquinator

New

Post by mhaquinator » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:

Schools are:
Vermont Fee Waiver
Denver
Minnesota Fee Waiver

U of Maryland

No, I was actually born in Bangladesh to Bengali parents. Then I lived Down Under.

JohnMarshall17

Bronze

Post by JohnMarshall17 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm

mhaquinator wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

Schools are:
Vermont Fee Waiver
Denver
Minnesota Fee Waiver

U of Maryland

No, I was actually born in Bangladesh to Bengali parents. Then I lived Down Under.
In any case, you sound like you have some good softs and a unique background. I'd forget about the schools you listed and start drilling old LSATs to break the mid 160s. There are a ton of LSAT prep resources on this website (also, you should use the PowerScore Bibles and/or the Manhattan LSAT books if you haven't already). I'm sure you can dramatically increase that 151. Best of luck!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Your GPA is pretty good, but you shouldnt apply until you improve your LSAT.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=195603

This calculator is the best: http://www.mylsn.info

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mhaquinator

New

Post by mhaquinator » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:19 pm

Thanks guys, I'm relieved to know there are a few non a-holes here :D

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:01 am

mhaquinator wrote:Thanks guys, I'm relieved to know there are a few non a-holes here :D
RETAKE

babasil1

New

Post by babasil1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:46 pm

All help is appreciated.

LSAT - 157 (Little to no chance of retaking due to personal reasons.)
GPA - 3.66
International Student, major in international area studies + a minor in political science.
Three LORs, one Evaluation

Edit: While my school records indicate that my GPA is 3.66, the LSAC Academic Summary Report says it's 3.79. Don't know if that's of any particular relevance, but here ya go.

School List:
American
George Mason
Univ of Illinois
Temple
Univ. of Maryland
Last edited by babasil1 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhaquinator

New

Post by mhaquinator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Might have a chance at American

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”