What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Re: What are my odds?

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:18 am

If y'all wouldn't mind:

GPA: 3.39
LSAT1: 157
LSAT2: 160+ (testing in the 162-164 range)
URM: Nope
Other:
- I am a mother; I had my little one two days before midterms my junior year (got 5 A's, 1 B that semester)
- My low GPA is due to one semester my sophmore year. I am writing an addendum because my exboyfriend tried to kill me (the police records are available to law schools upon request)
- I had a way upward trend for my cumulative GPA; minus one class my last semester (I took 27 credit hours and got 1 'C' mostly because of illness, I am currently in chemotherapy and imagine I will be perfectly healthy before law school starts, which I have medical records available upon request if needed)
- I have worked at a homeless shelter for the last 2.5 years. I also grant write, and assist in food drive initiatives for another agency in the area.
- I was on the dean's list at both schools (I transferred right after ex went psycho, in an effort to hide), was nominated class speaker at the 1st school, and got a scholarship at the second. Blah blah, academics, and jazz (I know this board gets that a lot)
- I think I have good LORs, but I know everyone says that. I also did some other extracirricular activities, but don't want to bog you down more than I already have.

I hope to apply to: NYU (long shot, I know), Fordam, Duquesne, Miami Law, Notre Dame, Phoenix Law, Valpo, Minnesota, University of Chicago, Arizona State, U Michiga, U Virginia.

I live in Indiana, about 1.5 miles from Notre Dame, so ND and Valpo would be considered in-state for me. What do you think my odds might be

Trequartista

Bronze

Post by Trequartista » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:39 am

164/3.7

legalmindedfella

Bronze

Post by legalmindedfella » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:29 am

Is 3.77/173 worth an app to Harvard & Stanford?

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:56 am

legalmindedfella wrote:Is 3.77/173 worth an app to Harvard & Stanford?
Yes I would apply to both. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:04 pm

168/3.78 - Cornell? Weak softs non URM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

achilles

Bronze

Post by achilles » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:52 pm

3.53, 170
non-URM, average softs
any advice on where to ED?
I was thinking Penn, but I don't think I have much of a shot. Any thoughts?

renee88

Bronze

Post by renee88 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:33 pm

I have what might be a really silly question, but any help would be appreciated.

My GPA is 164, LSDAS GPA is 3.47 (with a strong upward trend the past two years...had bad experiences as a freshman before I transferred.) I graduate after this semester, and if I get the grades I think I'll get, my new LSDAS will be a 3.52.

I want to apply to George Mason, and though I would prefer the full time program, I would also consider the part time program. Should I apply now with my slightly lower GPA, or wait till my grades are in and the new GPA is calculated (would probably be early January) and apply with the higher GPA? Would the difference in my chances be significant?

Basically, it's a question of what will help me more- a slightly higher GPA, or applying 1.5 months earlier?

siz

New

Post by siz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:49 pm

3.72 / 167 and 180 retake

some softs (gov't/non-profit internships) but nothing crazy
not URM

What's realistic? I know some schools say they're not big on retakes and I don't have a great reason for an addendum. GPA has an upward trend.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:48 pm

siz wrote:3.72 / 167 and 180 retake

some softs (gov't/non-profit internships) but nothing crazy
not URM

What's realistic? I know some schools say they're not big on retakes and I don't have a great reason for an addendum. GPA has an upward trend.
Apply everywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:44 pm

LSDAS GPA: 3.79
LSAT Score(s): Cancel/172
URM Status: NO
UG Institution: Rutgers NB - Bio/Psych double major
Work Experience: Only what I've worked while in college: held jobs for three summers, during most school years. Own a small business (registered with NJ business bureau).
Softs: Some experience with local judge, some volunteer work, Vice-Pres and Editor of Academic Journal, a couple academic honors
Regional Preference: Northeast
Targets/Reaches: Columbia (ED and No ED), Harvard, Yale, NYU, Cornell
Anything Else (optional): Thank you :)

JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:46 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:168/3.78 - Cornell? Weak softs non URM.
Law School Predictor says you've got solid chances (73%). Try Early Action if you still can, might make a negligible difference. Try to write a solid PS and be persistent with them.

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:40 pm

LSDAS GPA: 3.87
LSAT Score(s): 165
URM Status: Mexican
UG Institution: one of the original Public Ivys
Work Experience: 2 year research internship with the National Security Archive; I've drafted reports used in 4 Argentine federal human rights trials.
Softs: several campus leadership positions, 4.0 in both majors, 4.0 past 4 semesters; 3 strong letters
Regional Preference:
Targets/Reaches: UVA, Duke, G'town, Cornell / YHSCCN UPenn
Anything Else (optional): Virginia resident

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:33 pm

quetzal_bird wrote:LSDAS GPA: 3.87
LSAT Score(s): 165
URM Status: Mexican
UG Institution: one of the original Public Ivys
Work Experience: 2 year research internship with the National Security Archive; I've drafted reports used in 4 Argentine federal human rights trials.
Softs: several campus leadership positions, 4.0 in both majors, 4.0 past 4 semesters; 3 strong letters
Regional Preference:
Targets/Reaches: UVA, Duke, G'town, Cornell / YHSCCN UPenn
Anything Else (optional): Virginia resident
In at UVA Duke G'Town Cornell Upenn

YHS Wl/Reject

CCN Wl/in?out? who knows

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:49 pm

thank you. the 165 was much lower than my practice tests (171-173). I don't want to take a year off before I start law school. Would it be better to ED to Columbia now, or retake and apply in December when a lot more offers have been made in the hopes I score in the low 170s?

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:36 am

Hi guys,

I am a 3rd year at a top 5 public school applying next September for law school. I am however going to finish undergrad in 3 years and try to find a job in the gap year. I have a 3.56 GPA right now, hoping to get that up to a 3.65, maybe 3.7 by the end of the year. If I get straight A's this entire year, I think my GPA would be in the mid 3.7's. I've had an LSAC GPA of 4.2 for the past 3 quarters so I think its a legitimate possibility. I got a 173 on my LSAT the first, and only time, I've taken it and don't plan on a retake. My softs are average at best - internship at the Governor's office in my state, Consultant for my school's Transportation office for a year, Leadership positions in various clubs with, president in one. Fairly accomplished musician - performed twice at Carnegie Hall as well as at Harvard and Northwestern, and with the Boston Conservatory. If I end up getting a job post graduation, I'll have worked a year and three months before getting into law school. Also, I'm fairly young. I'm 19 now and will be 20 when I graduate. This puts me at 21 on day 1 of law school.

What are my chances at: the T14 (Ed to Columbia or NYU) + Vandy, UCLA, USC, BU/BC

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:40 am

quetzal_bird wrote:thank you. the 165 was much lower than my practice tests (171-173). I don't want to take a year off before I start law school. Would it be better to ED to Columbia now, or retake and apply in December when a lot more offers have been made in the hopes I score in the low 170s?
Retake. Definite out at Columbia now.

williemayshayes

New

Post by williemayshayes » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:30 am

Hello yall...

A senior at Ohio State now. Took the Oct LSAT recently and bombed. Got 157 despite performing at a high level on my PT's (of the 11 tests I did take, made 167+ six times and of those six, 170+ twice). GPA should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.15-3.2 once all is said and done (steeeeep upward spike).

Before anyone flames me...I AM GOING TO RETAKE. I am taking next year off, and plan to take the June 2011 LSAT (I also have October if need be). I was just CURIOUS as to what I could do with the stats as they are now. My schools are as follows;

Georgia
Ohio State (in-state)
UNC-Chapel Hill
Alabama
SMU
Tennessee
Houston
Cincinnati (in-state)

I know I am obviously out at most of these save for maybe the last 4 (at sticker, no less). In addition to giving me the usual "in/out" bulletin listing, I would appreciate if anyone could share with me the kind of LSAT I will need with my GPA to be conpetitive for decent money from these schools. Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYC1010

New

Post by NYC1010 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:45 pm

165/3.5 ...

Solidly ranked college, average softs, good recs...

Any thoughts on my list/chances greatly appreciated... Also any suggestions appreciated...

Fordham
Cardozo
Brooklyn
GWU
American
George Mason
BU
BC

COULD retake, can certainly score 167-169.. Not sure if it's worth it...

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:56 pm

NYC1010 wrote:165/3.5 ...

Any thoughts on my list/chances greatly appreciated... Also any suggestions appreciated...

Fordham
Cardozo
Brooklyn
GWU
American
George Mason
BU
BC

It's worth it. Those 2 points will get you at or above the median for a few of the schools listed there.

NYC1010

New

Post by NYC1010 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:19 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
NYC1010 wrote:165/3.5 ...

Fordham
Cardozo
Brooklyn
GWU
American
George Mason
BU
BC

It's worth it. Those 2 points will get you at or above the median for a few of the schools listed there.

After they average my score though, i'm not sure if it makes it worth applying later... any insight on gaining a relative point or two (after averaging my two scores) vs. applying 2 months later?

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:24 pm

NYC1010 wrote: After they average my score though, i'm not sure if it makes it worth applying later... any insight on gaining a relative point or two (after averaging my two scores) vs. applying 2 months later?
Unless a school explicitly states that they average, assume they don't.

With your current numbers I would advise looking outside the NYC area. The market has only marginally improved, and jobs are still hard to come by.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYC1010

New

Post by NYC1010 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:26 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
NYC1010 wrote: After they average my score though, i'm not sure if it makes it worth applying later... any insight on gaining a relative point or two (after averaging my two scores) vs. applying 2 months later?
Unless a school explicitly states that they average, assume they don't.

With your current numbers I would advise looking outside the NYC area. The market has only marginally improved, and jobs are still hard to come by.
If you look upwards, my list is as follows:

GWU
American
George Mason
BU
BC
Fordham
Cardozo
Brooklyn

Basically, NYC DC or Boston...

Also, i have faith that everything will rebound in the next 3 and a half years.

whitefeather2011

New

Post by whitefeather2011 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:53 am

GPA: 3.4
T-10 Ivy
LSAT: 170
URM
Quite a few focused leadership positions
Some really good recommendations
I'd say my PS and DS are pretty good as well

Should I be EDing to.... Mich, UVA, Penn/Gtown ??

NYC1010

New

Post by NYC1010 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:20 pm

whitefeather2011 wrote:GPA: 3.4
T-10 Ivy
LSAT: 170
URM
Quite a few focused leadership positions
Some really good recommendations
I'd say my PS and DS are pretty good as well

Should I be EDing to.... Mich, UVA, Penn/Gtown ??

yes.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:41 pm

George Mason is my goal. im_blue said I have a decent shot. Could someone quantify 'decent shot' for me?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”