What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
colbytim25

New

Re: What are my odds?

Post by colbytim25 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:36 pm

GW, BC, Vandy, Wustl.

my GPA is a bit higher, LSAT one point lower.

we might end up being classmated. who knows, right?

looks like you want to be in CA? i do too, but not stuck on the idea.

katiecakes

New

Post by katiecakes » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:00 pm

i thought about applying to some of those schools, but i'm pretty stuck on good weather and low on funds. i'll probably end up at whichever ca school i get into so i can be close to home--you live here too?

colbytim25

New

Post by colbytim25 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:04 pm

yeah, SF. praying for boalt. wont happen though.

i might actually pick USF over hastings if they give $$$. im pretty set on ending up in SF and i think i could get some good money from them.

katiecakes

New

Post by katiecakes » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:15 pm

oh sweet i'm in the bay area too. sf is great, good luck--i hope everything works out!

colbytim25

New

Post by colbytim25 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:51 am

you too. many would think im crazy for maybe picking USF over hastings. but, i think they have a lot of potential and im going into a field where it "doesnt matter where you go" really.

no biglaw for me.

best of luck to you as well! let me know how things turn out for you...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stuffedburrito

New

Post by stuffedburrito » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:34 am

colbytim25 wrote:you too. many would think im crazy for maybe picking USF over hastings. but, i think they have a lot of potential and im going into a field where it "doesnt matter where you go" really.

no biglaw for me.

best of luck to you as well! let me know how things turn out for you...
I really want to attend USF as well. But it is one of my top choices! I hope to see you there.
Last edited by stuffedburrito on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bennyblanco

New

Post by bennyblanco » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:54 pm

What up all

Applications have been done since December; didn't apply anywhere early.

University of Chicago undergrad. 3.75 GPA, 176 LSAT Philosophy major. Spent a quarter in Greece, learned rudimentary Greek. Competent in Russian, semi-competent in Spanish. Interned with the investigative division of the Public Defender's Office, had a lot of "flashy" stuff to say in my application about it (i.e., I interviewed a three-star member of the Vice Lords, processed recently arrested individuals, interviewed them in Spanish and English, encountered a dude with his eye falling out of his socket, used Lexis-Nexis to locate witnesses). No extracurriculars, though. And I'm white.

Two strong LORS from respected professors, one of whom is head of the Philosophy Department. And one strong LOR from my supervisor at the PD.

Applied to:

Yale (father is alumni)
Stanford
Harvard
Northwestern (I took summer classes there,too)
Georgetown
Duke
UVa
Colombia
Penn
Emory
Michigan
Chicago
Wash U

If possible, I'd like input on each school.

Peace.

Ben Matlock

New

Post by Ben Matlock » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:10 pm

Even though your GPA is low for Yale, I'd be surprised if you didn't get in. Does your dad give them money? That would seal the deal.
In everywhere, maybe a waitlist at Harvard.

bennyblanco

New

Post by bennyblanco » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:24 pm

Lol, glad I posted my numbers independently from this thread. First response in a week on this one.

Thanks for the input, though. Hopefully, the top three will look at where the numbers came from.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ben Matlock

New

Post by Ben Matlock » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Yeah, I saw the other thread. Thought this one needed a bump.

Franker927

New

What are my odds?-Sorry I accidenty posted elsewhere...respo

Post by Franker927 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:29 pm

163/3.74

Fordham
GW
Gtown
USC
Duke
BC
BU

Fordham would be my #1...I can't stop thinking about it, it's killin' me....do I have a strong chance?

Soft factors:
-Non-URM
-Director of Community Affairs of the Pre-Law Society (Volunteering)
-IM Sports
-4 yrs. summer job at a financial firm from age 17-21
-2 yr. internship at my county's District Attorney's Office

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:48 am

I'd say 50/50 at Fordham, GW, BU and BC.
Out at G'Town, Duke and USC.

Your soft factors aren't very strong. But I would say you have a good shot at Fordham.

wakama

New

Post by wakama » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:44 pm

165 LSAT 3.53 GPA in Electrical Engineering

chances at GULC PT???????

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

carlm

New

Post by carlm » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:52 pm

Hey all... great resource. I've been on here for hours and the amount of advice and info is ridiculous.

I just started looking at the applications process and cycle. I've been doing some sample LSAT tests and have consistently scored in the 160-165 range. My GPA in UG was a 2.8 but I graduated in 2000 (from Colorado-Boulder). Since then I've managed a multi-office program for a major engineering company (started as a temp), started 2 successful businesses, learned to speak (sort of write) Spanish, and I have a pretty large list of volunteer/local govt involvement.

Assuming a 160... do i have any hope of getting in to Boalt/UCLA/USC/USD? I need to stay in California (USD might be my first choice b/c of location).

My UG GPA sucks I know. But that was ages ago and I think my record since then is pretty strong? I haven't asked yet but i think i can get some significant letters of rec. and i think my personal statement will address my growth since UG.

Thoughts?

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:03 pm

carlm wrote:Hey all... great resource. I've been on here for hours and the amount of advice and info is ridiculous.

I just started looking at the applications process and cycle. I've been doing some sample LSAT tests and have consistently scored in the 160-165 range. My GPA in UG was a 2.8 but I graduated in 2000 (from Colorado-Boulder). Since then I've managed a multi-office program for a major engineering company (started as a temp), started 2 successful businesses, learned to speak (sort of write) Spanish, and I have a pretty large list of volunteer/local govt involvement.

Assuming a 160... do i have any hope of getting in to Boalt/UCLA/USC/USD? I need to stay in California (USD might be my first choice b/c of location).

My UG GPA sucks I know. But that was ages ago and I think my record since then is pretty strong? I haven't asked yet but i think i can get some significant letters of rec. and i think my personal statement will address my growth since UG.

Thoughts?
USD, maybe. Out at all the others. Sorry. Hope this helps.

carlm

New

Post by carlm » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks... would something in the 170+ range change your opinion or are my grades still that relevant 8yrs later?

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:59 pm

carlm wrote:Thanks... would something in the 170+ range change your opinion or are my grades still that relevant 8yrs later?
170+ is a whole new ball game. Still out at Boalt, I'd say but could open some UCLA/USC doors.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Idriveayugo

New

Post by Idriveayugo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:45 pm

157 3.32 GPA 3.98 GPA at school I transfered to and taken 3000 and 4000 level classes.

Applying to:

LSU
Arizona State
University of Georgia
University of North Carolina
Michigan State
Ohio State
Univ of Missouri - Columbia

Thanks!

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:46 am

What could I do with a GPA between 3.2 and 3.3 (I honestly don't know what it was; I never checked it after my last semester because I simply didn't care), an LSAT of 170 and five years of work experience as a journalist?

I've already read that blanket coverage of applications is the best approach and that makes sense, but I'd still like to some ideas of what I might be able to expect.

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:45 pm

^^you should have a good shot at Northwestern and Georgetown.

what do you think are my chances at my remaining schools: Duke, UVA, Cornell, Texas?
(3.9/166, in at BU, WUSTL, Fordham, UIUC, GW; WL at UCLA, Vanderbilt, Michigan; out at Berkeley, Georgetown)

imdashep

New

Post by imdashep » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:38 pm

clever username - GT, Cornell are probably the targets at the high end for you, from there on down you should have a good shot.

Sbrown - Texas in, others probably out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MidwestSplitter

New

Post by MidwestSplitter » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:40 am

I've got a 2.9 with a 170 LSAT. Im not an URM. My soft factors aren't anything spectacular, but I think I've got a pretty solid personal statement and LOR's. These are the schools I'm looking at...

Washington University
Emory
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
University of Illinois
University of Tennnessee
Tulane
St. Louis University

BananaSplitter

New

Post by BananaSplitter » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:16 pm

Hi everybody! I'm a long timer lurker and I wanted to get everyone's opinion and feedback. I took the LSAT back in December and scored a 158. That was up from my cold 154 diagnostic and I know it is a respectable score and slightly above the average but I am incredibly angry at myself for screwing it up. I was averaging 168 on my practice tests.

It boils down to the fact that despite my better judgement and training I tried to plod my way through the LG section. AND like a dumbass I only managed to answer the first 10 of the 23 questions before time ran out on me. Good news is that I answered all 10 correctly. I then panicked and bubbled D for the rest of the LG questions and just my luck only 1 came out correctly (guess I should have gone with E or B). My other sections were good but I could have done a little better on RC.

Since my UG GPA was a craptacular 2.6x (3.6x in my major, though) I know I need better than my 158 to stand out. I am back to studying with a vengeance and plan on taking the June LSAT and applying early in the season (Sep/Oct). I graduated in 2003 and my soft factors are strong but not amazing. I am currently in the NW and would like to practice here after law school but I am also quite interested in practicing in LA or San Diego. My goal is to score 168 on the June test and I plan on applying to these schools:

Safeties:
Gonzaga
Willamette

Targets:
Lewis and Clark
U. of Oregon
Seattle U.
U. of San Diego
Loyola

Reaches (super reaches):
U. of Washington
UCLA
USC

From my research it looks like this makes sense but I would love some feedback from other TLSers. I've gathered that a 2.6x/168 would kinda put me in the splitter category. Am I reaching too much or should I reach further? Should I apply at more schools?
Are there any particular LG strategies that people have found work best for them? I really need to get quicker and more efficient.

Also...obviously I would jump at the chance to attend any T14 school but do I have any realistic chance?

jas5076

New

Post by jas5076 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:54 pm

Just buy some logic game books man and work on them all the time. That is what worked best for me people really recommend the power score books but it sounds like basically anything will help you. Only getting through 10 is not nearly enough, logic games is the most learnable part of the test you need to be missing 3 at most in that section! Right there you will see a dramatic score increase, anyway as far as your reaches go you will need a higher lsat score than that in order to break into those schools. I am thinking you need at least 170's in order to be even close to getting into those, but none the less I would still apply it is worth the shot but yeah for T14 I would say at least 172 probably need more like 174 to be assured of getting into one but with a 2.6 something gpa nothing is assured just do the best you can on the next lsat and practice practice those logic games

ezpar

New

Post by ezpar » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:33 pm

Hmm, thought I'd give this a go. I'm curious what the differences in LSAT scores would do for me.

I have a 3.83 UG GPA & I think pretty strong softs (summer internship with well-known legal non-profit, currently in an AmeriCorps position, should have good LORs).

What are the best schools I would get into with a 162? 166? 170?

My top choices are UMich, NYU and Boalt -- I'm guessing I'd need the 170+ for that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”